Show Me A Photo Of Your Road Bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by SCOOBA STEVE, Sep 1, 2003.

1. rplace13

rplace13 New Member

It is a White Ind. ENO hub. Great hub for the purpose of getting a vertical dropout bike to be a fixie. Only problem on my particular frame is there is a "hump" in front of the dropout that keeps the eccentric part from fully rotating around. So I only get about 1/2 the adjustability out of it. Hard to explain, but long story short it works. I have really been enjoying the fixed gear life. Keeps things exciting and different. Great workout.

2. simonaway427

simonaway427 New Member

Just getting serious about cycling, been riding casually for years, but now kicking it up a notch.

Not the best pic - my first road bike - Specialized Tricross Triple

[​IMG]

3. Bike4Him

Bike4Him New Member

I have a fixie cross bike and an old LeMond fixie Zurich. Both frames came from abused homes so I got one free and one cheap.
    I just bartered a Giant TCR Composite frame for a 1up trainer and I might need to use an ENO hub as well. I have used half links in the past because I didn't want to spend the money for an ENO.
    How much movement do you get with the ENO?
    Can't you file the "bump" off?

4. rplace13

rplace13 New Member

You get quite a bit of movement. I'd guess the equivilant of two links in the chain...meaning one of each "type" You know the inner link and outer link? Not sure of the exact term. So it is just a matter of getting the chain close then moving the ENO to tighten it up.

Since I have it working I'm not going to mess with getting rid of my bump. I think it is part of the AL dropout...but it might be part of the carbon. Strange frame to make a fixie I know, but it is what I had on hand.

For the record, the White Ind. stuff is expensive but very nice quality. And for me cheaper then finding a horizontal drop out frame since I already had the Kestrel collecting dust.

5. simonaway427

simonaway427 New Member

Took the time to actually photograph my bike

6. root

root New Member

Really nice bike. Closest to the classical "smooth" lines on steel bikes of old I love so much. What stem and what stem angle are you using on it? It looks perfect as well, and I'm looking to put one with negative angle like that on my carbon Synapse?

7. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. I think your GIODA was a great find & the price you paid was great ...

Your riding impression + what I recall reading on their site suggests that the frame may be as-good-for-the-rider as any other CF frame with only the weight being a discernable difference for most riders.

The pre-2009 Centaur components are very good ... but, not to nitpick, the particular component group isn't perfect because of the Xenon-based shifters which Campagnolo chose to include in the non-Record & non-Chorus groups in 2007 & 2008 ...
    I've looked at (yes, I've disassembled one just to see how good-or-bad the design is-or-isn't) a Xenon-based shifter, and the mechanism is elegantly simple ...
    The ONLY thing I don't know about the Xenon-based Centaur shifters is how durable they are-or-are-not when compared with "normal" Campagnolo shifters; but, the price you paid for the bike was so good that if/when the time comes (which may be "never"), you can certainly pick up a pair of pre-2007, non-QS Campagnolo shifters and swap the carbon levers onto the replacement shifters OR you can certainly buy a pair of the redesigned-for-2009 Campagnolo shifters.

I think you have a VERY SWEET bike ...

BTW. I would probably shorten the housing that passes below the saddle ... it doesn't have to be as long as it is ... the "apex" of the curve can certainly be about an inch lower than it is.

8. eddykow

eddykow New Member

Thanx for your comments. I'm a little confused about the info on the shifters, are they not 2009?

9. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, the shifters on your bike are either from 2007 or 2008.

The 2009 & 2010 shifters look different (see attachment).

10. eddykow

eddykow New Member

I checked my shifters. The right side says 10 speed on the front and the left side says QS on the front.The bike shop said they were 2009 components but it sounds like that's not true.I still love the bike tho.

11. bullyvard

bullyvard New Member

I have two road bikes. One is a Merida Extreme 905 and the other one shown in the photo is a Giant Windmark-1. I have replaced the standard rims with 8 spoke shimanos.

[​IMG]

12. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

What's not to love?

I think that you can consider the Xenon-derived, 'QS' shifters as being Campagnolo's equivalent-to-105 shifters ... not a bad benchmark ...
    Beyond-and-because-of the internal differences, the thumb lever on the 'QS' shifters only releases ONE indent at a time (which is how Shimano's shifters operate) whereas on the other Campagnolo shifters, EITHER a single indent OR multiple indents can be released when the thumb lever is pressed.

Is that a big deal?

While being able to release multipe indents is a function that is nice to have & something one gets used to having available it is NOT a big deal for most people otherwise everyone would have stopped using Shimano shifters a long time ago.
    As far as the shape of the new-style Campagnolo shifters is concerned ... my exposure has been limited to grasping a pair (for only a few seconds) which were mounted on a showroom bike ... if I were a MTBer who spent a lot of time with my hands on a pair of bar ends, then I know that I would want those new shifters ... but, my MTB has more dust on it that you can imagine and so the new shape of the "2009" shifters would simply be a cosmetic beacon to show other riders that I had enough spare cash to pony up for up-to-date component.

So, I still like the shape of the "old" shifters which are the same as the shape of your "QS" shifters ... and, I know that I would certainly have no qualms about owning/using a pair of "QS" shifters ... and, I don't think that you should fret over which Campagnolo shifters your bike has at the moment ... or, in the future.

13. natienyc

natienyc New Member

Been riding for about a year now. Had a 89 Miyata 610, then recently moved on to a 2002 Bianchi Brava. Good bike for cheap price, I'm going to continue training and riding to see what happens next.

14. endurancemom

endurancemom New Member

That is one sharp bike! I'm sure you will get a LOT of great use out of it. What kind of training / mileage do you do now?

15. natienyc

natienyc New Member

I work 1130-8 m-f and i commute to work and try to have fun but this past week i put 110 miles on it easily. haven't gotten enough time, especially since the rain...

16. sourpants

sourpants New Member

I'm one of a few folks who still uses indexed shifting, but I have not a reason to switch! This is the bike I built about two years ago. It's a Raleigh R700 Comp.. It's not purebred like most rodie's bikes, it's a mongrel; with parts from my first road bike, which was a budget schwinn. It hasn't let me down, though. It's got ~5,600 miles on it so far. :D

17. CdnRider

CdnRider New Member

Here's one of my bikes....circa 1986/87 - i bought it new. Started off as a Miele Uno 12. Changed out things over the years. Surprisingly i still get a lot of compliments!!

Old school steel. 4130. Still use some old Look PP66 (even though i have 2 sets of new Looks on other bikes - i love these!) Even the Cateye Vectra mounted on the aerobar is old school (bought in 88 i'm guessing). Old Mavic MA40's that are probably going to need replacing soon.

This puppy still keeps up to some of the guys on their sweet carbon rides! Love it.

View attachment 11968

View attachment 11969

18. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

If you like negative rise stems that puts the stem horizontal on a frame with a 73 deg headtube, have a look at stems from Ritchey (WCS/Pro) and Specialized (S-Works/Pro-Set/Comp-Set). There are other stems that fit the bill, but these are two that are common and easy to find brands and models.

Road Bike Stems - Ritchey Road Bicycle Stems

Specialized Bicycle Components : Pro-Set Stem

19. loket

loket New Member

[​IMG]

My 'new' bike, -03, 5200 (yes, I am a groupie), Ultegra all the way. It's on the heavy side, but it fits me perfectly! no back aches at all this season! : D

What you guys think?

20. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Got some 'after' photos with the girl all dressed for the dance (tonight's crit)...those dancin' shoes are an excellent value source from eBay (of course)...the Easton cranks go well too...