Show Me A Photo Of Your Road Bike

[SIZE= medium]Hi. [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]You’ve certainly done much better on a bike than I have – racing in Europe etc. Guys I raced with in the 80s were concerned re bike weight but as you say it was nothing like the issue it is now (and I only knew that my light tubs went faster than my clincher training wheels). [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Good on for you work now with young puppies. Even here there are young people who’s parents will buy them the latest and greatest (15year old with the latest Cevelo TT bike etc) and who want (demand) the lightest and supposedly fastest. Most though have secondhand cobbled together bikes that they just love racing and riding. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]Most weekends I train with some 30/40 something guys who’re into the most $/lightest/fastest stuff too. I often ride my singlespeed to give me a really good workout and it’s of immense satisfaction to me to beat guys up hills who are riding mega $ bikes. [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]One guy who I can beat (most of us can beat him) bought a new Wilier Cento Uno Di2 ($16 000 NZ). Another guy (who’s a pretty good rider) bought Dura ace brake calipers thinking the weight difference over his Ultegra would make a speed difference![/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]These guys are really into the technology and name brands etc and that’s cool I guess but it won’t get them faster like losing some pounds and training more (both of which most of them need). [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]I too like bikes for bike sake but I’d much rather search around for a bargain and something more interesting than that which comes straight off a shop floor. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]Bikes I currently have; Felt F80 frame with full carbon fork and American classic 350s (race bike), Merida 904 with Token C30 wheels (fast training), NZ made steel Bauer with carbon fork I converted to SingleSpeed (training), old Scwhinn MTB (riding with my wife and sons on bike paths), and early 90s Saronni with tubs and full Suntour I’m restoring and an early 80 TEAM Raleigh I’m restoring. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]BBB/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/SIZE]

Originally Posted by Simmske .

Well I have sounded arrogant before..... Even then I wasn't trying to... I have raced quite seriously until about 3 years ago. I moved to Belgium when I was 18 to go and race important races. I did that for another 10 years racing for a couple of 'serious' continental teams and never did I or anyone at that level actually talk about the weight of their bikes. It might be different in Spain or Italy where a mountain top finish could be decided by who puts out the most power and carries the least weight but here it was just talking about racing and sometimes dope.
It does concearn me now because I volunteer as team director at the biggest junior club in Belgium and this next generation of cyclists who have ambition to take it to the next level' or at least want to look like the pros and not work a regular job, but I digress....... It concearns me that they are more interested in the colour of their Oakley Radars and their sock height-weight of bike etc than the races or training they are doing. These guys know how much every frame or part weighs and chose to ride light chinese carbon bikes and deep rims over cobblestones and dont listen to experienced people that tell them not to. These same kids dont even care if they break a frame or two every year because Daddy will buy them a new one. So thats where I stand on the new rage of weighing stuff.
Its funny because the kids who are most into it and **** on and on about the weight of their AX lightness saddles are not what you would call 'lean' and sad to say wouldnt stand a chance in a hilly race.
I do however appreciate that it has become a separate hobby for some of these guys. It is what they talk about and to an extent, it is amusing to hear people talk about but I wouldn't take the ****. I would prefer to see the whole junior team train harder and race with more charachter but thats probably asking too much. I wasnt implying that you shouldnt weigh your bike but you have to admit, it has become a standard piece of information when someone is telling you about their bike. I couldnt give out that information because I still haven't done it. But I think I will if anyone asks me. I didn't join this forum to argue with anyone or to sound arrogant but sometimes reading text, you can easily misinterprit the tone that the writer is explaining. Man, talking is a bit old school but we wouldn't have had this disagreement. So lets blame technology.
Ofcorse guys like Grey Ghost (where did he get that name?) ride their bikes. They love it, so do we.

Wow! I am green with envy /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I've asked for a new road bike for xmas so fingers crossed i'll be posting my photo soon!

and here she is again sitting safely in the secure lock up at my college.

Frame is a CAAD 5 with 105 components, it's my first road bike and I love it!

I ride it daily to school and sometimes on the weekend.

Dura Ace calipers to ride faster uphill? WTF?
Speaking of young puppies, I recently spoke to a client who's 14 year old son rides a Dogma with Sram Red and Easton EC90 wheels. He says its better that his son rides a bike instead of going out drinking and getting high. An 8000euro bike. The majority of the team I work with are just kids who dont know what suffering is but they all know how much their bike weighs.

Originally Posted by Simmske .

I recently spoke to a client who's 14 year old son rides a Dogma with Sram Red and Easton EC90 wheels. He says its better that his son rides a bike instead of going out drinking and getting high. An 8000euro bike.

Interesting, the thing is getting high/drunk isn't really an alternative. If the kid didn't ride, he'd probably run or play football or something.

Originally Posted by steve .

Interesting, the thing is getting high/drunk isn't really an alternative. If the kid didn't ride, he'd probably run or play football or something.
Yeah, but the boy did convince his dad to drop 8K in a bikeshop. He doesn't race and he's not competitive, he just has an expensive hobby.

Originally Posted by steve .

True and much better to be doing those things with one's kids - that's what we're trying to do. Also creating a good peer group who do good things together is great (with or without fancy gear). Having the top of the line gear isolates one from one's peers - often.

BBB/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I just finished building this road bike last night. Lynskey Sportive Titanium frame, Ritchey comp carbon fork , Shimano Dura Ace Drivetrain and brakes, Cane Creek 110 Headset, Phil Wood BB, DT Swiss TK540 Rims with 36 DT Swiss butted 2.0/1.8 mm spokes and Dura Ace Hubs with Michelin Pro 3 tires. Also shown below is the 2006 Specialized Sirrus Pro I have been riding most of the time until now.

Simmske said:
I know a lot of you guys weigh your bikes but I ride mine. Its light, really light but not chinese carbon light. Just thought I'd share that with you.
Ha very funny :D

When I weighed the Lynskey above (just out of curiosity) it came in at 20.08 lbs. Not a lightweight by most measures, but it is a sturdy build and light enough for me.

Vjbknife, very nice taste! I like your attention to detail: Cane Creek 110, Phil Wood BB!
That Lynskey might just be the best bike you will ever own for the rest of your life. It might cost a little more than some would normally spend on a bike but if you calculate the value of it (what you paid for it / how much you are going to use it) you will find that it is great value for money. If we all use this argument when trying to convince ourselves/spouses of an investment we might just get to invest more on the things we love.
I know a guy in my villiage who rides a Titanium De Rosa which he bought in 1995! The bike is immaculate and he has ridden hundreds of thousands of kilometers on it. It cost a small fortune back then but when you consider how many bikes we have all had since then that just end up snapping-cracking or just ending up flexing then you can appreciate his investment. A Lynskey is every bit as timeless as a De Rosa and in 15-20 years time it will still turn heads. I'm willing to bet that your Phil Wood BB will still be turning perfectly by then too.
Love your bike mate. Love Lynskey. Enjoy.

Off-Topic:Hi everybody,i am Marian,i am 16 years old,and i am from Romania,i am new on this site,i would like to make some new friends so Hi again :D,i tryed to put a photo with my decathlon but i cant,is appearing an error:(,sorry for off topic but i am new

Originally Posted by MarianRomania .

Off-Topic:Hi everybody,i am Marian,i am 16 years old,and i am from Romania,i am new on this site,i would like to make some new friends so Hi again :D,i tryed to put a photo with my decathlon but i cant,is appearing an error:(,sorry for off topic but i am new

Hi there, can you send me a copy of the error message and let me know what browser and operating system you're using?

thanks

Hi Steve,nice to meet you,I am using Google Chrome,and:"A temporary error occurred. Please retry your request."That is the error.
Thanks

Here is the bike that I have been riding since 1983. I had an accident about 3 years ago and thank to my frame builder marinoni and a steel frame it was rebuild and painted.
I do around 10,000 to 7,000 km a year. This bike must have around 185,000 km and still going strong. I own 2 other Marinoni bike a track bike and the only TT bike built by Marinoni.
My next bike will be a Marinoni but it won't be stell it will be titanium.