Show Me A Photo Of Your Road Bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by SCOOBA STEVE, Sep 1, 2003.

1. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

My early birthday present from my absolutely awesome girlfriend. 2011 Cannondale Synapse 5. Got my first short ride in yesetrday due to this crummy Canadian winter. I love it but need a fitting (scheduled for 3/26). This replaces my stolen LeMond, which I loved. This should prove to be a more than suitable replacement.
    [​IMG]

2. 1k2go

1k2go New Member

My Trek 5.2. Not too "Scabby."

[​IMG]

3. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

^^^ Nice lookin' bike.

Trek's really make strong attempts to get into my pockets with their current styling...

4. 1k2go

1k2go New Member

Thanks, Tony. I agree, I had no intentions of buying a Trek but this bike just stood out among the masses. Trek has really done a nice job with this series of bikes and it rides like a dream.

5. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Sometimes envy can be stupid I guess. I'd take it as a compliment TZ.

6. finnrambo

finnrambo New Member

I didn't mean your bike I meant how alot of the old(2005) trek bikes had this all red paint job that some might've liked but I never could stand that paint job, don't worry I wasn't dissing your fuji whic h is really red except that you got the FSA cranks instead of sram red cranks, sorry if I offended you at first. I can't get a link for those trek bikes but if you look up "trek track bikes" in google images you'll see what I mean.

7. tonyzackery

Yeah, you really hurt my feelings with that comment and I was prepared to sell my bike./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
    Now that you've apologized for the confusion, I won't turn you in.

8. Rych

Rych New Member

Yea I love it, I think all new it's around $8000US but I got it for under $4000 :D Its in very nice condition, was used for racing only, the owner had a training bike so not too many km's on it, was only used for a season.

9. finnrambo

finnrambo New Member

are you going to show up at the spring series with that bike? gotta show them how to build up a bike, I saw a guy who had an old steel frame with reynolds RZR wheels (new and old don't mix), mind you this guy had soap bubbles coming out of his chamois o_O

10. tonyzackery

yep, I'll be at the EV stage race crit - as long as it's not raining...

11. wallyl81

wallyl81 New Member

This is my new road bike (aka girlfriend/partner), Wilier Le Roi equipped with Campagnolo Record groupset, Fulcrum racing 3 wheelset and Deda post, bar and stem etc... I built the bike completely by myself buying every single piece separately. Wilier is a pioneer in the bicycle industry and being Italian has a strong history, I have so decided to keep that heritage and make it 100% italian (or as close as possible). The aim wasn't to build the lightest bicycle around but build a good looking, decent high end bike, keeping the cost as low as possible :) Considering even the weight is fairly good I think I succeeded pretty well!
    I added my creativity and touch ups to make it bit more custom built (see pictures), I hope you like it!

[​IMG]
    All the parts arrived, the WIlier Le Roi project is about to start...

[​IMG]
    The final job!

[​IMG]
    Campagnolo Red cableset and custom made cable frame tricolore protectors

[​IMG]
    Rear chainstay and Fulcrum Racing 3 wheelset

[​IMG]
    Fizik microtek bar tape with custom job at both ends!

[​IMG]
    Full carbon Elite moro cages and Rotor chain catcher on front chainring as used by the Cevelo team!

[​IMG]
    Campgnolo Record groupset and Red Veloflex master tyres

[​IMG]
    SMP strike saddle showing final bicycle weight.. not the lightest but I will not complain

12. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Hey,

It might help if you pumped the tires up. ;)

I'm surprised you didn't get the white version of the frame since you dig white bikes so much. Did you get a killer deal on that one that made it irresistible?

Do you paint various bits and bobs on your bike? Has a paint gun and compressor become part of the cycling toolbox? Looks very color coordinated. Nice.

13. swampy1970

Are you sure it was soap?

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

14. swampy1970

Why would he want to ditch the FSA's for a set of Truvative (FSA) cranks? Some upgrades are not really upgrades... and those cranks even look like they were supposed to come with the frame, with the colour match and all.

I've yet to see any conclusive evidence to show that even something as stiff as the Cannondale or new Specialized cranks actually impart a measureable performance increase. I got a set of Cannondale cranks with my bike and even with the removable spider, so you can swap between 110 and 130bcd, they're stupendously light and apparently very very stiff... but I don't find myself going up the road any faster on these than the 6.5lb PowerCranks on my training bike when I have the 'lockout' (aka fixed crank mode) on.

15. coneofsilence

coneofsilence Member

Just picked up a Free Specialized Allez Epic.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. swampy1970

Can't argue with free...

I'd stick something in or over the seat tube water bottle bosses. You don't want water getting in there.

Have a very close look around all the lugs to see if you can see any signs of cracking or hazing. If it's all clear then just listen for any oddball cracking or creaking noises. Bonded frames from the late 80's had a fairly high mortality rate and having tubes work free from the lugs wasn't entirely unheard of. My Vitus underwent a couple of 'reglues' courtesy of a british defence contractor.

17. coneofsilence

coneofsilence Member

Thanks.
    Free was the best part. It might turn out to be a good training bike.
    One of the first things i did was throw some bolts into the water bottle holes. I've also thrown on some new tyres and handle bar tape as it still had the originals on it.
    I took your advice and double checked the joints and everything seems solid. Will take it for a good ride and then double check it. It's been sitting in someones garage for the last 15 years without use.

18. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Sweet........ Nice job Wallyl81. Wilier sure is going hard after new clientele, advertising all over Versus and others.

19. abnersbikes

abnersbikes New Member

20. carsnoceans

carsnoceans New Member

By mother of [email protected]#$&*

Do they call you Ghost Rider?