Show Me A Photo Of Your Road Bike

alfeng wrote, in part:
Well, you may be okay with a back-sloping rack, but (IMO) it shows lazy workmanship on someone's part ...
My reply:
Actually, I never even noticed it the past 25 years until I just recently took that picture you saw. I've always seen it from above!
alfeng wrote:
Heck, why don't you show the World what-for & set the rack on your GIANT BOULDER at a similar slope to that on your ROSS if you don't think it matters?
My reply:
Well, I don't think it matters at all, as the bike still rides just fine, but if you can conveniently level it, why not?
alfeng wrote:
Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, you are either right or (at this point) recalcitrant ... I think the latter.
My reply:
I think you're right. It doesn't matter, and if "recalcitrant" means something like "doesn't give a hoot", then you're right on dude! After all, what else can one say about a guy that blissfully rides with a crooked rack for 25 years and doesn't panic to straighten it out when he finally learns of his cootie-generating perversion of things bicycle-related? :) Oh, one more thing.... I haven't heard the word "cootie" since the early 60's! You, my friend, must be close to my age (old fart!). And I love your enviable wit!
Finally (at least as far as this post goes), I may take those straps off and put a much tighter bend in them, just for you alfeng. After all, this seems to disturb you, and God forbid that my shoddy work should disturb someone as entertaining as you appear to be. On the other hand, I rather like this exchange....
By the way, the bands for the seat stays are quite tough and springy, unlike a lot of modern stuff. Chrome-plated spring steel, I'd say, but not normal stainless. This is based on my 40 years experience in sheet metal design, fabrication, and installation, which includes a stint in the aero-space industry.
On the other hand, there is that bit of retirement-inspired "laziness". I'll post a pic if I repent and fix it.
<sighs> I'm such an infidel and defiler of bicycle religion.....<sniggers-guffaws>

Originally Posted by quenya .

My Z4 dressed up for a crit or hilly road race
nice bike! how do those wheels work? how do you adjust those things and what do you call them?

Originally Posted by TJIA .

One of the 15 bikes here - my 2010 Tarmac Elite.

Added Look pedals, Strada Cateye wireless, SRAM Red controls and rear derailleur, some light, Taiwanese carbon bottle cages, a Taiwanese carbon stem, and S-works carbon bars. In time the rest of the Shimano stuff will be replaced with SRAM components with the exception of some Ciamillo brakes.

Have a set of Bontrager R4s to put on it, just waiting for the HED Jet6 FRs to arrive so I can put together the "nice" wheelset. The CXP22s will be the everyday wheelset.

I do quite a bit of solo riding (30-75 miles at a time) so it serves me well.
Very nice. How do you like the Red setup ? I just got mine this winter.

Originally Posted by quenya .

My Z4 dressed up for a crit or hilly road race
Are you serious ? That's insane. Sweet setup. Parlee is my dream. There's a dealer next to my town.

Originally Posted by gman0482 .

Are you serious ? That's insane. Sweet setup. Parlee is my dream. There's a dealer next to my town.
Not only a dealer, but Bob Parlee assembles those tubes in your back yard ... Beverly. And not too far away Seven is making bikes in Watertown.

Been away for a while - lots of very nice rides posted in the past few months! Spring's here. Enjoy everyone!!

Since my name is Alan, I decided to put together an older ALAN bike for myself. I got the frame over Craigs list from a guy in California and picked up the Campy parts at a bike swap in Westminster MD. It all came together in only about two weeks after I started looking for the stuff. It is a great ride.

AlenG, that does, indeed, look like one sweet ride. Reminds me of my Gran Tour, with much heavier lugs on the frame and much nicer components. Is the double-chainring a deliberate decision, or one of opportunity? I'm curious, as I have a Sugino triple I'm thinking about putting on my Gran Tour, just to see how it works. I'm too old and out-of-shape to struggle with high gears!

Oh....never heard of an "ALAN" bike before. Nice touch....

nice one chris. I'm just about to shell out for this baby. the only thing that worries me is that the geometry is too agressive for my 2 week touring holiday. i was wondering if you could tell me if you have taken it touring at all or ridden it for long days consecutively? if so, did you ache? if you have put panniers on it did you find it too twitchy in the corners? any advice you can give me would be great. thanks! Rich

Originally Posted by ax25nut .

AlenG, that does, indeed, look like one sweet ride. Reminds me of my Gran Tour, with much heavier lugs on the frame and much nicer components. Is the double-chainring a deliberate decision, or one of opportunity? I'm curious, as I have a Sugino triple I'm thinking about putting on my Gran Tour, just to see how it works. I'm too old and out-of-shape to struggle with high gears!

Oh....never heard of an "ALAN" bike before. Nice touch....
The lugs and frame are aluminum by the way so it is pretty light. ALANs are made in Italy and they were one of the earliest companies to use aluminum and carbon fiber. I did not want to go with a triple on this. The small ring is a 39. I have two freewheels, one that tops out at 21 and the other at 28. These are tubular tires and wheels. I have another set of wheels and that has a cassette that tops out at 32. I was amazed the Campy derailleur would work on it but it is fine. So I have pretty good hill climbing ability when I need it.

Finally took a decent picture in sunlight:

My 2011 Trek 1.1 with Shimano M520 pedals. No other mods, only about 65 miles on it so far.

Originally Posted by gman0482 .

Nice Tplyons, I like the black/red combo. Mine's coming soon with some upgrades.
Thanks, every vehicle I own is either black, red and black, or red white and black. (all my hockey jerseys are those colors too!)

gman0482 said:

Very nice.  How do you like the Red setup ?  I just got mine this winter.

I'm liking it. Now have Red crankset and new wheels. :) After this photo I re-positioned the tires so the label on the tire was centered on the label on the wheel - on the drive side anyway. I'm OCD like that.

Madonea.....virgin white

Finished....

Attachments

• Madonea 019.JPG
    Madonea 019.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • P7230362.JPG
    P7230362.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
I like the clean look and especially the lack of logos and names on that white bike. I know that companies have to market and people emulate the racers but I really don't generally care much for the graphics plastered all over everything bike related.

An albino bike. Hmmmm, the jury's still out with me. I think a little too institutional/antiseptic for my tastes - but kinda cool at the same time...