Show Me A Photo Of Your Road Bike

Originally Posted by new_rider

Oh boy. Incompetent mechanics are the norm. Most consumers will not watch their mechanics performing the service, and don't know much if anything about proper repairs and service anyway, which is great for keeping unethical and incompetent, sometimes grossly incompetent, car and bicycle shops in business.
I worked in a few bike shops as a younger guy and it's scary how many bikes come back after getting wrenched wrong, everything from loose bolts to shoddily wrapped bars. It's the main reason I learned to do most stuff on my own.

Originally Posted by hyperliterate
Got a Cannondale Super Six instead.
Yes! Love my S6...

Done and ready to roll!

hyperliterate said:
I almost bought that bike last year,  Got a Cannondal Super Six instead.  Both are nice bikes..
The geometry is very similar to the H2 fit Madone I was riding before getting hit by a car. Most significant difference was the slightly longer (+/- 1 cm) wheelbase. Once my shoulder is better I'm going to flip the stem down and remove a spacer or two. Down the road I see new wheels. The Madone was 60 cm. The Synapse is a 58. One test ride isn't enough, but I didn't notice it handling any differently than my Madone did.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
From the photo I can't tell if the bolts are tight enough, but the bar wrap is lovely.
Thanks obc, I find a slight tendency toward the obsessive compulsive helpful in wrapping bars well ;) Lizard Skins btw, my new favorite over a historical preference for Cinelli cork. As for the bolts, I recently acquired a PRO torque wrench and everything seems to be in order.

And thanks too, Steve.

quote - "Incompetent mechanics are the norm"

As a self employed mechanic I take offence at that but I do know of some less competent ones. I used to work in a very busy cycle hire centre and on a training/assessment course was not impressed with the standards of some of the others that were given the same grade. We all got Platinum apart from two that were really bad, they only got Gold standard! Even the manager who taught me so much and had his own shop for many years set a front mech 13mm high (I measured it later) the little sticker always fitted clearly says 1-3mm. Everyone had to set up two faults on an others bike for them to find. I found seven on his. I spent the next two days going through their bikes and putting them right, some brakes were so spongy with excessive toe in that the front edge would have been worn out before the rear touched! I have heard colleagues say "oh it's only a hire bike", when I overhauled a bike for sale I always said I want to be happy to sell it to my brother.

I learnt many years ago when I had motorbikes that the mechanics were no better than me, they just had better tools.
smug.png

Well, good luck with the bike. I test rode a Madone before I got the Cannondale, but the heaviest influence on my purchase of the Super Six was the accommodating people at the LBS.

A little OCD is good.
Originally Posted by David Beacham
quote - "Incompetent mechanics are the norm"
I hear you. Well, sometimes it's incompetence, and sometimes it's just lack of attention to detail. The first one happens when it gets busy and there just aren't enough qualified wrenches to go around. And the second happens to good mechanics who get pressed into doing a half-assed job rather than saying, no, there isn't the time to do it right in the window you are demanding I do it in.

Reactions: David Beacham
Those gold Shamals are pretty sweet looking on a red bike. Are those painted or did they come in gold at one point?

I've been meaning to post my bike in the picture thread... so here it is...

Here's my first ever road bike (and first bike in over 15 years): 2014 Giant Defy 2. I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it so I wound up with a 54 (M)... even though I'm 6'0". It's all stock except for some clip-on aero bars that I threw on right before snapping this shot... though that's about to change. I've scheduled a pro-fitting which I bet will lead to a new stem and seat post, and then I've ordered a set of HED Belgiums with a PowerTap.

It's hard to see in the picture but I sometimes get funny looks for having two computers on the bike. I have a cheap-as-dirt Spec wired computer measuring from the front and a Garmin 510 listening to a wireless speed/cadence sensor in the back. At first I was just too lazy to remove the Spec computer but then started to like having my speed & distance big on one screen and HR, cadence, grade, and other information on the other. Though now that I threw the aero bars on and the Spec computer is in an awkward position, I might finally remove it.

2013 Specialized Allez

I have posted her before, but now she's got a set of Shimano RS80 wheels, Conti GP4000S rubber, and a Selle Italia C2 saddle... Fun bike