Show of hands: who carries a camera when cycling?

C.J.Patten

Guest
Having just gotten my hands on a digital camera (my first still camera in a
few years) I'm happy to find it fits perfectly in my seat-bag along with the
break-away gear! 8D

No pictures taken while on the road yet - just pics of the bike & new rack.

Seeing as my legs aren't jell-o from the first ride of the day, I'm going to
go out now and see if I see anything while riding that's photo worthy!

Anyone have any cycling photos of their own to post?

Cheers,
Chris

Response to C.J.Patten:

Long ago when I was into landscape photography I used to carry one of
these occasionally on the bike -

http://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_show/e_camera/e_s2_1.htm

A beautiful thing, and the contacts were lovely; but the tripod was a
bugger to carry, one reason I went back eventually to 35mm.

I haven't used that camera in years; but I can't bring myself to sell it.

--
Mark, UK

pause and reflect."

"Mark McNeill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Response to C.J.Patten:
>
> Long ago when I was into landscape photography I used to carry one of
> these occasionally on the bike -
>
> http://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_show/e_camera/e_s2_1.htm
>
> A beautiful thing, and the contacts were lovely; but the tripod was a
> bugger to carry, one reason I went back eventually to 35mm.
>

> I haven't used that camera in years; but I can't bring myself to sell it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't sell it! Inless you want to sell it to me at a bargain price. That's
a beautiful piece of equipment. Years ago I bought a light hand-built
alumium back pack which doubled as a tripod. There was a leg hinged at the
top of one side of the frame, giving three point support. I have also
thought about using the bicycle with a monopod to form a tripod.

Is that a 4 x 5? Just wait...maybe you will be able to get a digital "film
holder" before long.

C.J.Patten <[email protected]> wrote:
:> Having just gotten my hands on a digital camera (my first still
:> camera in a few years) I'm happy to find it fits perfectly in my
:> seat-bag along with the break-away gear! 8D

which one do you have? Mine is too big to bother with on the bike. If it
were the size of my iPod Shuffle....

You can get digital backs for medium format cameras FWIW.
http://www.hasselblad.se/ 22 Megapixel. (!)

That's one nice camera you've go there. I second the suggestion to keep it.
(I still have a medium format camera and an old 35mm Voigtlander here.)

BTW: had a good ride tonight! 10km this time bringing todays total to 15km.
Big jump over three weeks ago when I struggled with 5km!

Took two photos.

http://www.ncf.ca/~af895/bike/photos/fudd.jpg
http://www.ncf.ca/~af895/bike/photos/simba.jpg

(I don't think the cat liked it's owners)

;)

C.

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mark McNeill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Response to C.J.Patten:
>>
>> Long ago when I was into landscape photography I used to carry one of
>> these occasionally on the bike -
>>
>> http://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_show/e_camera/e_s2_1.htm
>>
>> A beautiful thing, and the contacts were lovely; but the tripod was a
>> bugger to carry, one reason I went back eventually to 35mm.
>>

>> I haven't used that camera in years; but I can't bring myself to sell it.

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Don't sell it! Inless you want to sell it to me at a bargain price.
> That's a beautiful piece of equipment. Years ago I bought a light
> hand-built alumium back pack which doubled as a tripod. There was a leg
> hinged at the top of one side of the frame, giving three point support. I
> have also thought about using the bicycle with a monopod to form a tripod.
>
> Is that a 4 x 5? Just wait...maybe you will be able to get a digital
> "film holder" before long.

Canon Power Shot A75 or Argus DC 3500 or HP Photo Smart (older and much
larger). Used a tiny Sipix for awhile, but it kept screwing up and
losing memory, and needed to be reset by the computer program quite
regularly.

I got pics all over the internet!

C.J.Patten wrote:

> Having just gotten my hands on a digital camera (my first still camera in a
> few years) I'm happy to find it fits perfectly in my seat-bag along with the
> break-away gear! 8D

yes it is fun to carry a camera. My Sony cybershot fits in my jersey
pocket just fine and is easily accessible. I have dropped it only once -
that too when trying something funky (to capture my shadow on the
road)... i am in the process of putting together all my pics. will send
a link to you once it is up.

But few websites i am impressed with are:
http://bushnell.homeip.net/~bill/bike/pictures/index.html
http://www.molenda.us/photos/hellyer-velodrome-2004-08-20/

+ravi

> No pictures taken while on the road yet - just pics of the bike & new rack.
>
> Seeing as my legs aren't jell-o from the first ride of the day, I'm going to
> go out now and see if I see anything while riding that's photo worthy!
>
> Anyone have any cycling photos of their own to post?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

"C.J.Patten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Having just gotten my hands on a digital camera (my first still camera in

> few years) I'm happy to find it fits perfectly in my seat-bag along with

the
> break-away gear! 8D
>
> No pictures taken while on the road yet - just pics of the bike & new

rack.

> Seeing as my legs aren't jell-o from the first ride of the day, I'm going

> go out now and see if I see anything while riding that's photo worthy!
>
> Anyone have any cycling photos of their own to post?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

When I'm on tours...sure, always. I carry a Canon Powershot S330 Digital
Elph. I'm going to Colorado later this week, with my registration and food
paid for by my pictures from previous years (the tour organizers offered me
a free trip, in exchange for the right to use some of my photos in their
marketing materials...which fulfills a lifelong dream of being a
"professional cycling photographer"!).

Tour de France 2004:
http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/TDF2004/TDF2004_001.htm

Ride Around Mt. Lassen 2004:
http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/MTLASSEN2004/RAML_001.htm

Bicycle Tour of Colorado 2003:
http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/BTC2003/BTC0017.htm

Ride Around Mt. Lassen 2003:
http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/RAMS2003/RAMS001.htm

Bicycle Tour of Colorado 2002:
http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/BTC2002/BTC2002_1.htm

Bicycle Tour of Colorado 2001:
http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/BTC2002/BTC2002_1.htm

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

"GaryG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> When I'm on tours...sure, always. I carry a Canon Powershot S330 Digital
> Elph. I'm going to Colorado later this week, with my registration and
> food
> paid for by my pictures from previous years (the tour organizers offered
> me
> a free trip, in exchange for the right to use some of my photos in their
> marketing materials...which fulfills a lifelong dream of being a
> "professional cycling photographer"!).
>
> Tour de France 2004:
> http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/TDF2004/TDF2004_001.htm
>
> Ride Around Mt. Lassen 2004:
> http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/MTLASSEN2004/RAML_001.htm
>
> Bicycle Tour of Colorado 2003:
> http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/BTC2003/BTC0017.htm
>
> Ride Around Mt. Lassen 2003:
> http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/RAMS2003/RAMS001.htm
>
> Bicycle Tour of Colorado 2002:
> http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/BTC2002/BTC2002_1.htm
>
> Bicycle Tour of Colorado 2001:
> http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/BTC2002/BTC2002_1.htm

Whoa! NICE shots! Makes me want to go on that tour!
Was there a gear van (or 20) following you guys and did anyone set out with
a full set of panniers - completely self-sufficient?

Have fun back in Colorado!

C.

"Ravi" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> yes it is fun to carry a camera. My Sony cybershot fits in my jersey
> pocket just fine and is easily accessible. I have dropped it only once -
> that too when trying something funky (to capture my shadow on the road)...
> i am in the process of putting together all my pics. will send a link to
> you once it is up.
>
> But few websites i am impressed with are:
> http://bushnell.homeip.net/~bill/bike/pictures/index.html
> http://www.molenda.us/photos/hellyer-velodrome-2004-08-20/

Nice shots! Did you get the rear-facing shots WHILE RIDING?! (you're braver
than I am...)

C.

C.J.Patten wrote:

> "Ravi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>

>>yes it is fun to carry a camera. My Sony cybershot fits in my jersey
>>pocket just fine and is easily accessible. I have dropped it only once -
>>that too when trying something funky (to capture my shadow on the road)...
>>i am in the process of putting together all my pics. will send a link to
>>you once it is up.
>>
>>But few websites i am impressed with are:
>>http://bushnell.homeip.net/~bill/bike/pictures/index.html
>>http://www.molenda.us/photos/hellyer-velodrome-2004-08-20/
>>

> Nice shots! Did you get the rear-facing shots WHILE RIDING?! (you're braver
> than I am...)

please note these are not mine !! it is Bill Bushnell's - i have made
some attempts, but totally out-of-focus :( however some of the side
shots have come out pretty decently.

+ravi

> C.

"C.J.Patten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "GaryG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > When I'm on tours...sure, always. I carry a Canon Powershot S330

Digital
> > Elph. I'm going to Colorado later this week, with my registration and
> > food
> > paid for by my pictures from previous years (the tour organizers offered
> > me
> > a free trip, in exchange for the right to use some of my photos in their
> > marketing materials...which fulfills a lifelong dream of being a
> > "professional cycling photographer"!).
> >
> > Tour de France 2004:

http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/TDF2004/TDF2004_001.htm

> > Ride Around Mt. Lassen 2004:

http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/MTLASSEN2004/RAML_001.htm

> > Bicycle Tour of Colorado 2003:
> > http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/BTC2003/BTC0017.htm
> >
> > Ride Around Mt. Lassen 2003:
> > http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/RAMS2003/RAMS001.htm
> >
> > Bicycle Tour of Colorado 2002:
> > http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/BTC2002/BTC2002_1.htm
> >
> > Bicycle Tour of Colorado 2001:
> > http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/BTC2002/BTC2002_1.htm

> Whoa! NICE shots! Makes me want to go on that tour!
> Was there a gear van (or 20) following you guys and did anyone set out

with
> a full set of panniers - completely self-sufficient?

It's a great tour, and quite inexpensive (compared to some of the high end,
hand-holding tours). They have big trucks for your gear, and rest stops
every 20 miles or so. All you have to do each morning is pack up your
stuff, throw it on the truck, hop on your bike, and ride.
http://www.bicycletourcolorado.com for more details.

GG

> Have fun back in Colorado!

Always!

> C.

in message <[email protected]>, C.J.Patten
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Having just gotten my hands on a digital camera (my first still camera
> in a few years) I'm happy to find it fits perfectly in my seat-bag
> along with the break-away gear! 8D

I often carry a Practica DCZ 3.2 S with me on the bike. It's small,
light, simple, inexpensive and takes reasonable pictures. I carry it in
my bar bag, and can get it out, switch it on and take pictures while on
the move, this one

<URL:http://www.stewartry-wheelers.org/wheelers/pictures/angus_old_edinburgh.jpg>

being a case in point (taken Saturday). I used to carry an SLR with me,
but it was too heavy and too valuable and not really convenient. I now
have a digital SLR which I use for most of my photography, but while
it's a really nice camera it isn't practicable to carry it on the bike.

;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.

C.J.Patten wrote:
> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > which one do you have? Mine is too big to bother with on the bike. If it
> > were the size of my iPod Shuffle....
> >

> Bought a used Canon A60.
> Here's the skinny: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a60.html

I have one of those and like it a lot except for:

it has lost the ability to remain at infinity focus so for landscapes I
have to use the manual setting.
It sometimes decides to not want to take the photo, or to faff a long
time before doing so.

Having said that it is a great camera for taking pictures while riding.
See http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dmamartin/ride.html where many
were taken 'in flight' and ~dmamartin/wellbank/ (likewise).

...d

"Colorado Bicycler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Canon Power Shot A75 or Argus DC 3500 or HP Photo Smart (older and much
> larger). Used a tiny Sipix for awhile, but it kept screwing up and
> losing memory, and needed to be reset by the computer program quite
> regularly.
>
> I got pics all over the internet!

Hand.

As they say on the potato chip bag: Some _specially_ selected photo's

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/siklelogical/my_photos

I received a nice 35 mm camera as gift... oh 5 years or so ago - too nice
for my limited photographic skills. It is pre-digital. I don't always take
it because of size and fears of damaging it. It not being digital means I
manually scan them into the computer - a bit of a pain.

Anyways, that is what I use for photos. I've pretty much covered the local
trails. I still have some more from my 2004 trip I'm meaning to scan and
upload.

--
'The place I come from
is with me all the time' -meredith brooks

Well, I didn't post links because they are in Forums, on my web page
and also because my web page contains a variety of pic sources - some
scanned in, some originally "professional" etc.

FWIW, here are a few, mostly digital.

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox/fambicy.htm

Mostly from various digital cameras.

C.J.Patten wrote:
> Having just gotten my hands on a digital camera (my first still
> camera in a few years) I'm happy to find it fits perfectly in my
> seat-bag along with the break-away gear! 8D

I will carry one too after getting a compact digi at long last. It'll
make my rides much longer... timewise, that is

I miss the versatility and quality of my old SLR but that is too big &
heavy to carry on the road bike at all (without a lot of bother).

~PB

Colorado Bicycler wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
>Well, I didn't post links because they are in Forums, on my web page
>and also because my web page contains a variety of pic sources - some
>scanned in, some originally "professional" etc.
>
>FWIW, here are a few, mostly digital.
>
>http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox/fambicy.htm

You're sure looking good in that first photo. Looks like quite a slope you
were working up, too.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky