Shredded Gazzalodi

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by muddycycle, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. muddycycle

    muddycycle Guest

    I was about a mile into a ten mile MUni ride when my inner tube popped
    out of my 26 x3.0 Gazz. Upon closer inspection I saw that the metal bead
    had ripped out for about four inches. Has this happen to any one else? I
    had a problem once before with this tire coming off the rim, so I have
    always been a little distrustful of this tire (eBay). ). Could this
    have been an air pressure problem? I had recently increased the air to
    about 2 bar.

    The good news is that after the mile walk back to the truck I decided it
    was to nice of a day to cry over a ripped (almost new tread) tire so I
    pulled out the Coker with the long cranks and did the up and over and
    down the hill on “The Big One” it was a awesome ride and I didn’t have
    to walk hardly any of the up hill (just some short steep technical
    spots).

    MUni Coker you know you want to!

    --
    muddycycle - Nonchalance

    "What can possiby mystify a madman?"
    Hegira: Greg Bear
    muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

  2. Sounds like a defective tire to me. I had a tire bead break and the
    tire became unseated on my dirt-bike once. I took the tire to my local
    motorcycle shop and they got the manufacture to warranty it. You may
    want to check with your local bike shop and they may help to get it
    warrantied for you. Offer to pay them a little cash for their trouble
    since you didn't buy it from them. Also, they can probably look at the
    tire and decide if it is defective

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  3. jagur

    jagur Guest

    im surprised it lasted so long after after the first event and you
    turned it around...the same thing happened to the used Gazz i got only i
    think the bead stretched instead of braking through.

    i also think that some of the Gazz's out there are to tight and the bead
    gets injured by the tyre levers...

    at least it happened localy instead of a the Cal Muni event.

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    -Forget_Your_Life-

  4. S_Wallis

    S_Wallis Guest

    Here is a picture of my Gazz from a year ago. I had lots of trouble
    with it not seating properly and always having at least a 1/4" of wobble
    to it. I think the problem was that the bead was actually smaller than
    the diameter of the rim. Becuase of that it finally cut through the
    rubber and the sidewall blew out. Amazingly, the tube didn't blow, it
    just stuck out and rubbed on my frame. I lowered the pressure and rode
    home on it. Uni.com warranteed the tire.

    Scott

    | Attachment filename: gazz2.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/233330|

    S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
    how to do it." Pablo Picasso
    S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

  5. muddycycle

    muddycycle Guest

    Scott thanks for the reply, I think it is great the Unicycle.com was
    albe to help you out. My tire has four bands in the bead it looks like
    yours only has one.[image:
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albut53/gazz.sized.jpg]

    --
    muddycycle - Nonchalance

    "What can possiby mystify a madman?"
    Hegira: Greg Bear
    muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

  6. S_Wallis

    S_Wallis Guest

    muddycycle wrote:
    > *Scott thanks for the reply, I think it is great the Unicycle.com was
    > albe to help you out. My tire has four bands in the bead it looks like
    > yours only has one. *

    That's interesting. I wonder if yours is older or newer than mine was,
    and how they are making them now.