Shredded Gazzalodi

muddycycle

Guest
I was about a mile into a ten mile MUni ride when my inner tube popped
out of my 26 x3.0 Gazz. Upon closer inspection I saw that the metal bead
had ripped out for about four inches. Has this happen to any one else? I
had a problem once before with this tire coming off the rim, so I have
always been a little distrustful of this tire (eBay). ). Could this
have been an air pressure problem? I had recently increased the air to
about 2 bar.

The good news is that after the mile walk back to the truck I decided it
was to nice of a day to cry over a ripped (almost new tread) tire so I
pulled out the Coker with the long cranks and did the up and over and
down the hill on “The Big One” it was a awesome ride and I didn’t have
to walk hardly any of the up hill (just some short steep technical
spots).

MUni Coker you know you want to!

--
muddycycle - Nonchalance

"What can possiby mystify a madman?"
Hegira: Greg Bear
muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

Sounds like a defective tire to me. I had a tire bead break and the
tire became unseated on my dirt-bike once. I took the tire to my local
motorcycle shop and they got the manufacture to warranty it. You may
want to check with your local bike shop and they may help to get it
warrantied for you. Offer to pay them a little cash for their trouble
since you didn't buy it from them. Also, they can probably look at the
tire and decide if it is defective

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

im surprised it lasted so long after after the first event and you
turned it around...the same thing happened to the used Gazz i got only i
think the bead stretched instead of braking through.

i also think that some of the Gazz's out there are to tight and the bead
gets injured by the tyre levers...

at least it happened localy instead of a the Cal Muni event.

--
jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

-Forget_Your_Life-

Here is a picture of my Gazz from a year ago. I had lots of trouble
with it not seating properly and always having at least a 1/4" of wobble
to it. I think the problem was that the bead was actually smaller than
the diameter of the rim. Becuase of that it finally cut through the
rubber and the sidewall blew out. Amazingly, the tube didn't blow, it
just stuck out and rubbed on my frame. I lowered the pressure and rode
home on it. Uni.com warranteed the tire.

Scott

| Attachment filename: gazz2.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/233330|

S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Scott thanks for the reply, I think it is great the Unicycle.com was
albe to help you out. My tire has four bands in the bead it looks like
yours only has one.[image:
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albut53/gazz.sized.jpg]

--

muddycycle wrote:
> *Scott thanks for the reply, I think it is great the Unicycle.com was
> albe to help you out. My tire has four bands in the bead it looks like
> yours only has one. *

That's interesting. I wonder if yours is older or newer than mine was,
and how they are making them now.