Shredded tyre

James Nunnerley

Apr 8, 2013
On my ride home last week, I noticed that my rear wheel seemed to have a bump/wiggle in it. Upon further inspection, there seems to be a bump in part of the tyre, which I think is the inner tube pushing the tyre out. Where this has happened, the tyre is showing signs of threading wear (that is the fabric of the tyre falling apart).

I'm guessing this isn't good?!

Question... what's caused it? It's a Giant Defy 3, with standard fit tyres etc, which I bought about 4/5 months ago second hand. Since getting it I've done well over 500 miles, so knew that I'd had to update a few things - but this issue is worrying me. Is it the wheel, tyre, inner tube, or something completely different?!

I'm guessing a new tyre is a must, but what else do I need to replace?!

Any advise gratefully received....!

Thanks
James

If the tube is holding air, you probably just need a new tire. Why not take it to a bike shop where someone can see the problem and make a proper diagnosis. Generally, even cheap tires are good for 800-1000 miles.

I'd take the tire off the rim and take a look at the inner tube and the rim tape (the plastic/fabric tape that is on the inside of the rim that covers the spoke holes in the wheel.) Chances are you just need a new tire but since you have to take it off to replace it, better to do it before you go to the bike store and then figure out when you return that you need to replace other stuff... Give the other tire a close inspection too. A Continental GP4000S would be my recommendation. A race tire that's pretty much bombproof and even with a fair few thousand miles per year I typically only get one puncture per year - and for the early part of the year I'm never what you'd call a lightweight guy. I haven't found a tire, other than the old Avocet/NuTrak FasGrips that go around corners like these do.

For cheap tires, I've had pretty good luck with Schwalbe Luganos. Contis are great, but the Luganos are somewhere between a third and a quarter of the price of Contis, in the US.

I'll second checking the rim tape. IMO the best rim tape to use is Velox. About 5 bucks for enough to do one rim, and well worth it.

Many good tires out there but I third the Conti 4000s recomendation. If you go with any one of the colored 4000 flavors besides black however you won't get the fast rolling, grippy black chili compound. They'll still be good tires though.

I can't nominate the GP4000s tires because I've had lousy flat luck every time I've tried them. Now the Conti GP Four Seasons are great tires. Iffin' I were you, I'd also consider Michelin Krylions (still available in a lot places online), Michelin Pro Race 4 Endurance (the replacement for the Krylions), and Maxxis Re-fuse tires.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Now the Conti GP Four Seasons are great tires.
They most seriously are.

Interestingly I ran a set of 25c's which "feel" faster than an Attack/Force combo (which are lighter, narrower, and have a lower Crr on paper) which I tried for a month using the same wheels. In fact moving from the 4-Seasons to the A/F made the bike feel downright sluggish and I switched back even before the tread wore out. My thoughts were it had to do with the significantly narrower front tire (22 vs. 25). It seems to be less of an issue running narrow tubulars, but narrow clinchers just don't feel as nice (or fast) in comparison.