shrink-swrapped helmets??

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Timote, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Timote

    Timote Guest

    ( sorry if this has already been covered)

    been noticing many of the pro helmets in the TTs are tightly
    covered in a plastic film.. oviously for aerodynamics-
    anyone know exactly what this stuff is?

    sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic wrap,
    should I save money and go with the bargain style, or go all
    out with the glad wrap?

    just curious.

    Tags:

  2. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    "Timote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ( sorry if this has already been covered)
    >

    > been noticing many of the pro helmets in the TTs are
    > tightly covered in a plastic film.. oviously for aerodynamics-
    > anyone know exactly what this
    stuff
    > is?
    >
    > sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic
    > wrap, should I save money and go with the bargain
    style, or
    > go all out with the glad wrap?

    I was hoping that the Freds would start foaming about
    helmets when Daddy Yo-Yo unveils his new lid at the Tour
    prologue. Sadly, even plastic wrapping the vents shut to
    stay warm is enough to bring them out.

    Timote, get the thinnest, most expensive plastic wrap you
    can find. You'll save 5 grams over Saran Wrap.

  3. On 14 Mar 2004 13:24:47 GMT, [email protected] (Timote) wrote:

    >( sorry if this has already been covered)
    >

    >been noticing many of the pro helmets in the TTs are
    >tightly covered in a plastic film.. oviously for aerodynamics-
    >anyone know exactly what this stuff is?
    >
    >sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic
    >wrap, should I save money and go with the bargain style, or
    >go all out with the glad wrap?
    >
    >just curious.

    Goes back a long way. See this pick of my Dad from 1961

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephenmcginty/dad_hoban_61.jpg

    That's multi TdF stage winner Barry Hoban on his wheel.
    Check his helmet - cellophane covered.

    Regards! Stephen

  4. Timote

    Timote Guest

    Ha-

    sweet- thanks for the tip! I'm going back to the store for
    the thin stuff-

    not really planning on saranning the helmet just yet- I just
    noticed this trend recently- it was, shall i say..
    intriguing....

    >I was hoping that the Freds would start foaming about
    >helmets when Daddy Yo-Yo unveils his new lid at the Tour
    >prologue. Sadly, even plastic wrapping the vents shut to
    >stay warm is enough to bring them out.
    >
    >Timote, get the thinnest, most expensive plastic wrap you
    >can find. You'll save 5 grams over Saran Wrap.

  5. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Timote <[email protected]> wrote:
    > sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic
    > wrap, should I save money and go with the bargain style,
    > or go all out with the glad wrap?

    I'd go high end and get a swim cap.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  6. Cranky

    Cranky Guest

    [email protected] (Timote) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > ( sorry if this has already been covered)
    >

    > been noticing many of the pro helmets in the TTs are
    > tightly covered in a plastic film.. oviously for aerodynamics-
    > anyone know exactly what this stuff is?
    >
    > sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic
    > wrap, should I save money and go with the bargain style,
    > or go all out with the glad wrap?
    >
    > just curious.

    Drug delivery system. Air passing over the wrap provides a
    slow and steady mixture directly into the bloodstream below
    the scalp. And to boot no kit in the hotel, just cases of
    saran wrap.

  7. Woogoogle

    Woogoogle Guest

  8. On 14 Mar 2004 20:28:34 -0800, [email protected] (WooGoogle) wrote:

    >Steve McGinty <[email protected]> wrote
    >in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >

    >> Goes back a long way. See this pick of my Dad from 1961
    >>
    >> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephenmcginty/dad_hoban-
    >> _61.jpg
    >>
    >> That's multi TdF stage winner Barry Hoban on his wheel.
    >> Check his helmet - cellophane covered.
    >>
    >> Regards! Stephen
    >
    >What are those triangular cloth things covering the top of
    >the shorts at the waist?

    Their numbers - a sort of tie-round back-to-front apron
    affair. I spotted something similar in some of the pics of
    theTasmanian Wheel Races at Xmas.

    Regards! Stephen

  9. [email protected] (Timote) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ( sorry if this has already been covered)
    >

    > been noticing many of the pro helmets in the TTs are
    > tightly covered in a plastic film.. oviously for aerodynamics-
    > anyone know exactly what this stuff is?
    >
    > sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic
    > wrap, should I save money and go with the bargain style,
    > or go all out with the glad wrap?
    >
    > just curious.

    I believe you are refering to a plastic shell that BELL
    Helmets makes and gives to the Pro and Elite Amateur teams.
    They are simply a thin plastic that is made to fit the
    helmet. They only require a few small pieces of tape to
    hold them on. IF you go back and look at all the pics you
    will see that most if not all the riders are riding Bell or
    Giro helmets.

    I have never seen the plastic shells for sell, but i have
    few I would sell you...

    thanks, jason

  10. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Jason Waddell wrote:

    > I believe you are refering to a plastic shell that BELL
    > Helmets makes and gives to the Pro and Elite Amateur
    > teams. They are simply a thin plastic that is made to fit
    > the helmet. They only require a few small pieces of tape
    > to hold them on. IF you go back and look at all the pics
    > you will see that most if not all the riders are riding
    > Bell or Giro helmets.
    >
    > I have never seen the plastic shells for sell, but i have
    > few I would sell you...

    Any windtunnel data comparing the shells with duct tape?

    Just wondering.

    Dan

  11. Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I was hoping that the Freds would start foaming about
    > helmets when Daddy Yo-Yo unveils his new lid at the Tour
    > prologue. Sadly, even plastic wrapping the vents shut to
    > stay warm is enough to bring them out.

    > Timote, get the thinnest, most expensive plastic wrap you
    > can find. You'll save 5 grams over Saran Wrap.

    It really helps to use aluminum foil to block the mind
    control rays.

    -Bobby Fischer
    USCF master

    P.S. Here's a sneak preview of Lance's new aerohat:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=5807-
    8&item=3665843491

  12. [email protected] (Jason Waddell) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Timote) wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > m12.aol.com>...
    > > ( sorry if this has already been covered)
    > >

    > > been noticing many of the pro helmets in the TTs are
    > > tightly covered in a plastic film.. oviously for aerodynamics-
    > > anyone know exactly what this stuff is?
    > >
    > > sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic
    > > wrap, should I save money and go with the bargain style,
    > > or go all out with the glad wrap?
    > >
    > > just curious.
    >
    > I believe you are refering to a plastic shell that BELL
    > Helmets makes and gives to the Pro and Elite Amateur
    > teams. They are simply a thin plastic that is made to fit
    > the helmet. They only require a few small pieces of tape
    > to hold them on. IF you go back and look at all the pics
    > you will see that most if not all the riders are riding
    > Bell or Giro helmets.
    >
    > I have never seen the plastic shells for sell, but i have
    > few I would sell you...
    >

    > thanks, jason

    http://www.carrerasport.com/base_prod_frame_h.htm

    If you can get through the Flash maze at the Carrera site,
    you can find their "Energy" helmet under "Bike Helmets".
    Then in "Accessories", they have the "Shell A.W.P Engergy".
    These types of things are fairly common up in Seattle - more
    for the fact that they keep the rain from cascading down
    your face on a wet RR.

    -a

  13. Dan Connelly <[email protected]_e_e_e._o_r_g> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jason Waddell wrote:
    > >
    > > I believe you are refering to a plastic shell that BELL
    > > Helmets makes and gives to the Pro and Elite Amateur
    > > teams. They are simply a thin plastic that is made to
    > > fit the helmet. They only require a few small pieces of
    > > tape to hold them on. IF you go back and look at all the
    > > pics you will see that most if not all the riders are
    > > riding Bell or Giro helmets.
    > >
    > > I have never seen the plastic shells for sell, but i
    > > have few I would sell you...
    > >

    > Any windtunnel data comparing the shells with duct tape?
    >
    > Just wondering.
    >
    > Dan

    Dan,

    I have a 347 page document detailing the scientific data
    that I collected at the NorthWestern Wyoming Techinical
    Institute of Bovine Research that will in fact prove that
    Scotch tape is more aero than duct tape. The data collected
    using their state of the art wind tunnel lab was invaulable
    for my research. Upon review of my power numbers, aero drag
    coefficient and other big words that you and Coggan like to
    use and Warren pretends to understand I found that...

    I have exhaustive data proving that I will never win a TT
    longer than 2km.

    best, jason

  14. pedalchick

    pedalchick New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    And to think all this time I've been putting packing tape on my helmet vents...

  15. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Jason Waddell wrote:

    > Dan,
    >
    > I have a 347 page document detailing the scientific data
    > that I collected at the NorthWestern Wyoming Techinical
    > Institute of Bovine Research that will in fact prove that
    > Scotch tape is more aero than duct tape. The data
    > collected using their state of the art wind tunnel lab was
    > invaulable for my research. Upon review of my power
    > numbers, aero drag coefficient and other big words that
    > you and Coggan like to use and Warren pretends to
    > understand I found that...
    >
    > I have exhaustive data proving that I will never win a TT
    > longer than 2km.
    >
    > best, jason

    Excellent.

    Dan

  16. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e_._o_r_g> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Jason Waddell wrote:
    > >
    > > Dan,
    > >
    > > I have a 347 page document detailing the scientific data
    > > that I collected at the NorthWestern Wyoming Techinical
    > > Institute of Bovine Research that will in fact prove
    > > that Scotch tape is more aero than duct tape. The data
    > > collected using their state of the art wind tunnel lab
    > > was invaulable for my research. Upon review of my power
    > > numbers, aero drag coefficient and other big words that
    > > you and Coggan like to use and Warren pretends to
    > > understand I found that...
    > >
    > > I have exhaustive data proving that I will never win a
    > > TT longer than 2km.
    > >
    > > best, jason
    >
    > Excellent.

    Ditto.

    Andy Coggan

  17. actually you can use some saran wrap, put it on the helmet
    and cut to size, use some tape to hold down the edges and
    then take your hairdryer and slowly warm the saran wrap. It
    will skrink and conform to the size and shape of the helmet.

    but don't get it too hot.

    you might want to practice this routine once or twice before
    you actually use it, it can be quite frustrating the night
    before a TT in a hotel room...

  18. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Jason Waddell <[email protected]> wrote:
    > actually you can use some saran wrap, put it on the
    > helmet and cut to size, use some tape to hold down the
    > edges and then take your hairdryer and slowly warm the
    > saran wrap. It will skrink and conform to the size and
    > shape of the helmet.

    > but don't get it too hot.

    > you might want to practice this routine once or twice
    > before you actually use it, it can be quite frustrating
    > the night before a TT in a hotel room...

    Swim caps!!

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  19. Get a Louis Garneau.

    James