Shrove Tuesday



Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Just Zis Guy

Guest
Today is Shrove Tuesday.

It's bad form to tell people your Lenten resolutions, but just out of politeness I would like to let
you know that I'm giving up Usenet for Lent. After tonight I'll be away from u.r.c for the
traditional 40 days and 40 nights (fine tune, that).

So rest assured, it's not something you said (or even something Smith said), I haven't fallen
under the wheels of a bus[1] and I will be back, [insert deity of your choice] willing, at Easter,
more or less.

Think of it not so much as losing a contributor as gaining a whole load of bandwidth...

[1] Well, I might have, but I haven't /necessarily/ fallen under the wheels of a bus.
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> Today is Shrove Tuesday.
>

Are you planning to fry up all your unused posting material in a big usenet pancake before
Lent starts?

Tony
 
P

Pete Biggs

Guest
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> It's bad form to tell people your Lenten resolutions, but just out of politeness I would like to
> let you know that I'm giving up Usenet for Lent. After tonight I'll be away from u.r.c for the
> traditional 40 days and 40 nights (fine tune, that).

That's a long time! Hasn't Lent gone metric yet? ;-)

Enjoy your break. ...I could do with one too, really.

BTW, will you be using patches or gum?

--
~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt
 
A

Ambrose Nankive

Guest
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Today is Shrove Tuesday.
>
> It's bad form to tell people your Lenten resolutions, but just out of politeness I would like to
> let you know that I'm giving up Usenet for Lent. After tonight I'll be away from u.r.c for the
> traditional 40 days and 40 nights (fine tune, that).

Might be a good idea for me to follow your example on that. I can tell it's getting bad with me
because I'm hardly even bothering to post, just obsessive compulsively reloading. That over a dialup
connection, too. I've admired your ability to keep arguing without just getting impatient and not
bothering to reply.

Of course, Lent doesn't start until Pure Monday next week (AFAI concerned).
 
S

Simon Mason

Guest
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Today is Shrove Tuesday.
>
> It's bad form to tell people your Lenten resolutions, but just out of politeness I would like to
> let you know that I'm giving up Usenet for Lent. After tonight I'll be away from u.r.c for the
> traditional 40 days and 40 nights (fine tune, that).

It will take me that long to get to grips with this ****.. er fantastic OS2 Warp system I'm now
using since you lot told me MS stuff is junk. I've had to stop using Front Page and now I'm having
to write HTML in notepad to alter fonts, draw lines etc. It takes about 100 times as long to write
a page, but at least I'm free of the evil empire :)

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
 
J

Just Zis Guy

Guest
On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 14:32:09 -0000, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Are you planning to fry up all your unused posting material in a big usenet pancake before
>Lent starts?

Heh! Perhaps I should fry an effigy of the Inverness One :)
 
S

Simon Mason

Guest
Sundays do not count in
> calculating the 40 days from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday, if I
remember
> from my Catholic upbringing.

Sundays don't count because every Sunday is an Easter celebration. Simon
 
S

Simon Mason

Guest
"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> > Today is Shrove Tuesday.
>
> Mucho pancake munchie action tonight. I'm giving up tractor driving again, it's been a resounding
> success every time I've tried, with no tractors driven in the Verboten Time yet.
>
> But this leads me to a question. A while ago I wanted to work out when ST was, so I found
> Easter Sunday and counted the 40 days before Easter, but that left me with *next* Tuesday. Can
> someone explain where I've gone wrong please? Can't count[1], wrong idea of what Easter is,
> something else?

Shrove Tuesday precedes Easter Sunday by 47 days. Sundays do not count in calculating the 40 days
from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday, if I remember from my Catholic upbringing.

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
 
P

Peter Clinch

Guest
Simon Mason wrote:

> Shrove Tuesday precedes Easter Sunday by 47 days. Sundays do not count in calculating the 40 days
> from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday, if I remember from my Catholic upbringing.

Aha! Thank you Simon. Looks like your Catholic upbringing impacted on you more than my flatmate's
Catholic upbringing, or my Anglican one...

Well, you learn something every day. And now I have, I can go home ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
 
P

Patrick Herring

Guest
C

Colin Blackburn

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Ambrose Nankivell wrote: ...
> > Not sure about the counting in the western tradition, but Holy Week doesn't count as part of
> > lent: it's the 40 days before Palm Sunday that count.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/holydays/christ_holydaysl.shtml
>
> Yes, I'd always thought it ended on Palm Sunday with Sundays being less strict, but in fact
> Sundays are left out altogether.

So, does this mean Guy can do all is posting on Sundays and still give up Usenet for Lent?

Colin
 
T

Tony W

Guest
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Today is Shrove Tuesday.
>
> It's bad form to tell people your Lenten resolutions, but just out of politeness I would like to
> let you know that I'm giving up Usenet for Lent. After tonight I'll be away from u.r.c for the
> traditional 40 days and 40 nights (fine tune, that).

Was it something I said??

T
 
P

Patrick Herring

Guest
Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
...
> > Yes, I'd always thought it ended on Palm Sunday with Sundays being less strict, but in fact
> > Sundays are left out altogether.
>
> So, does this mean Guy can do all is posting on Sundays and still give up Usenet for Lent?

Indeed he can. He can also transfer saint's day holidays into Lent, so long as he remembers to
observer "Lent" when those days come along after Easter [1]. A friend of mine at uni once managed to
keep smoking for almost the whole thing.

[1] actually I'm not sure this is kosher, but <CofE> it feels OK </CofE>.

--
Patrick Herring http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/cgi-bin/makeperson?P.Herring
 
S

Simon Hay

Guest
Simon Mason wrote:
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Today is Shrove Tuesday.
>>
>>It's bad form to tell people your Lenten resolutions, but just out of politeness I would like to
>>let you know that I'm giving up Usenet for Lent. After tonight I'll be away from u.r.c for the
>>traditional 40 days and 40 nights (fine tune, that).
>
>
> It will take me that long to get to grips with this ****.. er fantastic OS2 Warp system

Oi! Mock not OS/2... It's a wonderful operating system :) Incidentally how come you're using it?

Oh, and there are WYSIWYG HTML editors for OS/2, believe it or not... Mozilla, for a start, but text
editors are The Way in any case.

Simon
 
S

Simon Mason

Guest
"Simon Hay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Simon Mason wrote:

> > It will take me that long to get to grips with this ****.. er fantastic
OS2
> > Warp system
>
> Oi! Mock not OS/2... It's a wonderful operating system :) Incidentally how come you're using it?

It's a joke Simon. Some Herbert thought it would be a good idea to deliberately configure his
newsgroup posts so that they appeared to contain an extra file in MS Outlook. When I pointed this
out to him (in case he had a virus) he told me in no uncertain terms that it was a deficiency in
mine (and >90%) of the world's OS. I then joked that instead of using Windows xp (which I am
doing) I would wipe my disk clean of this obviously inferior product and install OS2 Warp instead.

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
 
A

Ambrose Nankive

Guest
Simon Mason wrote:
> "Simon Hay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Simon Mason wrote:
>
>>> It will take me that long to get to grips with this ****.. er fantastic OS2 Warp system
>>
>> Oi! Mock not OS/2... It's a wonderful operating system :) Incidentally how come you're using it?
>
> It's a joke Simon. Some Herbert thought it would be a good idea to
> deliberately configure his newsgroup posts so that they appeared to
> contain an extra file in MS Outlook. When I pointed this out to him
> (in case he had a virus) he told me in no uncertain terms that it was
> a deficiency in mine (and >90%) of the world's OS. I then joked that
> instead of using Windows xp (which I am doing) I would wipe my disk
> clean of this obviously inferior product and install OS2 Warp instead.

Yes, you want to be using AmigaOS.
 
M

Michael Macclan

Guest
In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> writes
>Today is Shrove Tuesday.
>
>It's bad form to tell people your Lenten resolutions, but just out of politeness I would like to
>let you know that I'm giving up Usenet for Lent. After tonight I'll be away from u.r.c for the
>traditional 40 days and 40 nights (fine tune, that).
>
>So rest assured, it's not something you said (or even something Smith said), I haven't fallen
>under the wheels of a bus[1] and I will be back, [insert deity of your choice] willing, at Easter,
>more or less.
>
>Think of it not so much as losing a contributor as gaining a whole load of bandwidth...
>
>[1] Well, I might have, but I haven't /necessarily/ fallen under the wheels of a bus.
>

Most of my family has some sort of Irish connection and Lenten resolutions often contain some
reference to reducing the consumption of alcohol. However, there is a convenient dispensation for
St. Patrick's Day.
--
Michael MacClancy
 
J

Just Zis Guy

Guest
On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:16:01 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

> It will take me that long to get to grips with this ****.. er fantastic OS2 Warp system I'm now
> using since you lot told me MS stuff is junk. I've had to stop using Front Page and now I'm having
> to write HTML in notepad to alter fonts, draw lines etc. It takes about 100 times as long to write
> a page, but at least I'm free of the evil empire :)

Smart man. FrontPage really /is/ shite, anyway :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.
 
J

Just Zis Guy

Guest
On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:16:16 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Was it something I said??

Obviously :-D

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads