Shrove Tuesday

David Marsh wrote: A pile of OE bashing, including an attachment headed: "Learn usenet and
netiquette_ read news_news.announce.newusers _.dat"

To which I feel compelled to point out that one of the first items of netiquette that one should
learn is not to post attachments to a text only newsgroup.

Thomas Paine

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:42:32 -0000, Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> David Marsh wrote: A pile of OE bashing, including an attachment headed: "Learn usenet and
> netiquette_ read news_news.announce.newusers _.dat"
>
> To which I feel compelled to point out that one of the first items of netiquette that one should
> learn is not to post attachments to a text only newsgroup.

Its a bug in OE, not an attachment. If any line in a posting starts begin<> (without the "<>" which
i've done to try not to upset OE then OE thinks there is an attachment.

Regards,

Tim.

Tim Woodall wrote:
> Its a bug in OE, not an attachment. If any line in a posting starts begin<> (without the "<>"
> which i've done to try not to upset OE then OE thinks there is an attachment.

I did wonder. I suspect that David does this deliberately, in the knowledge that it will appear as
an attachment to OE users, in order to wind OE users up. That seems like a pretty poor example of
netiquette to me.

Thomas Paine

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:

> I did wonder. I suspect that David does this deliberately, in the knowledge that it will appear as
> an attachment to OE users, in order to wind OE users up. That seems like a pretty poor example of
> netiquette to me.

From my observation of Usenet, its principle purpose seems to be as a means to wind others up.
Information exchange seems to be very much a secondary purpose ;-)

Tony

--

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.