Shuttle Crash.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dave, Feb 1, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Tis another sad day in the USA, our beloved space program has taken another tragic turn.

    God bless the USA!

    Dave (sad!)

    Tags:

  2. Dave wrote:
    > Tis another sad day in the USA, our beloved space program has taken another tragic turn.
    >
    > God bless the USA!
    >
    > Dave (sad!)

    RiP, crew of Columbia...

    Jon Bond

  3. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tis another sad day in the USA, our beloved space program has taken another tragic turn.
    >
    > God bless the USA!
    >
    > Dave (sad!)

    Yes, very sad!
    --
    Slacker

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 15:00:47 -0500, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Tis another sad day in the USA, our beloved space program has taken another tragic turn.
    >
    >God bless the USA!
    >
    >Dave (sad!)

    :-]

  5. Trevorm

    Trevorm Guest

    The crew of the Columbia have died in honour. They have served not only the United States of
    America, but the world; spiritually, and scientifically.

    Let the Space Program endure this hard time, and help it build a
    stronger character to become, the leader in Space & Scientific Exploration.

    We will not ponder on how you died, but how you lived.

    **Rest in Peace Our Fellow Heros**

    --Trevor-- Vancouver, BC

  6. J2

    J2 Guest

    I'm always amazed at the '.. gee the end of the space program scenario ...' that the media portrays.
    Surely Americans don't expect there to be no fatalities. Space is an extreme environment, people
    will die, it is that simple. We are all really sorry at the loss, but it has to be an expected risk.

    Our condolences to the families.

    Jean

  7. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    J2 wrote:
    > I'm always amazed at the '.. gee the end of the space program scenario ...' that the media
    > portrays. Surely Americans don't expect there to be no fatalities. Space is an extreme
    > environment, people will die, it is that simple. We are all really sorry at the loss, but it has
    > to be an expected risk.
    >
    > Our condolences to the families.

    I've been thinking the same thing. We lose more people to the highways in an hour! I am very sorry
    for their families and for the loss of good people. But, we need to stop thinking that there should
    be no risks in doing anything. However, if this turns out to be another case of corporate bucks vs.
    fixing engineering flaws ("managed risk"), I'm gonna be pissed.

    David A usually bleeding heart American who's tired of the hype.

  8. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    SPACE is a risk and anything can happen at high speed. Losing 2 ships in 22 years may be sad but its
    for the betterment of mankind. SF over time comes true.

    Fire up MTB 03

  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "J2" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm always amazed at the '.. gee the end of the space program scenario
    ...'
    > that the media portrays.

    as am I!

    Surely Americans don't expect there to be no
    > fatalities.

    I wouldn't think so. I know i have no such expectations.

    Space is an extreme environment, people will die, it is that
    > simple. We are all really sorry at the loss, but it has to be an expected risk.

    and a worthwhile risk to boot. I am extremely saddend by yesterday's events. But it IS for the
    betterment of mankind, in the larger picture.

    > Our condolences to the families.
    >

    > Jean

    very much so! And here's to hoping the space program can endure. After speaking to my 6 year old boy
    yesterday as we were watching the tragedy unfold, it became clear to me that the program WILL
    endure. As I watched his eyes grow larger with tales of space, I have faith. He wants to be an
    astronaut, at least right now he does...And I would be honored if he became one!

    Dave (rock on NASA!!)

  10. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "J2" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm always amazed at the '.. gee the end of the space program scenario ...' that the media
    >portrays. Surely Americans don't expect there to be no fatalities. Space is an extreme environment,
    >people will die, it is that simple. We are all really sorry at the loss, but it has to be an
    >expected risk.

    It occurs to me that this august group would have a little better understanding of the "risk vs.
    reward" balance than most other more "pedestrian" people. We take chances for the love of our sport,
    which while entirely worthwhile and enjoyable, pales in any comparison to the lofty achievements of
    the brave men and women who put their lives on the line to take that ultimate e-ticket ride into
    space to advance the human experience.

    >Our condolences to the families.

    Indeed. I hope their grief is ultimately outweighed by their pride.