SHW Powerlifter Donnie Thompson on Kettlebell Training

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Steve Freides, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. In the current issue of Powerlifting USA (I got a free copy at the AAU
    meet last weekend), there is a piece about SHW Donnie Thompson, who
    credits his kettlebell training with a lot of his recent lifting
    success. He even got himself certified as an instructor.

    There's also an interview with him in the Fall, 2005 "Hard Style"
    catalogue from DragonDoor with a lot of the same information. If anyone
    wants to read the DragonDoor piece in PDF format, go here:

    http://tinyurl.com/c6o6t

    The two-page interview starts on page 68.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    Tags:

  2. On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 12:43:59 -0500, "Steve Freides"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In the current issue of Powerlifting USA (I got a free copy at the AAU
    >meet last weekend), there is a piece about SHW Donnie Thompson, who
    >credits his kettlebell training with a lot of his recent lifting
    >success. He even got himself certified as an instructor.
    >
    >There's also an interview with him in the Fall, 2005 "Hard Style"
    >catalogue from DragonDoor with a lot of the same information. If anyone
    >wants to read the DragonDoor piece in PDF format, go here:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/c6o6t
    >
    >The two-page interview starts on page 68.
    >
    >-S-
    >http://www.kbnj.com

    I thought I'd make it easier for people to get to this.
    In my opinion, the entire catalog (articles + advertisements) is fun
    to read, but not everyone would agree. So here's the interview for
    those of you who don't want to browse through the catalog right now.
    You might want to after reading the interview.

    Fall 2005 www.hard-style.com Vol. 2, No. 3

    WORLD SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT POWERLIFTING CHAMPION,
    DONNIE THOMPSON, SEES KETTLEBELLS AS KEY
    FOR GAINING PERFORMANCE EDGE IN ALL SPORTS

    WE INTERVIEWED DONNIE THOMPSON AT THE APRIL 2005 RUSSIAN
    KETTLEBELL CHALLENGE CERTIFICATION WORKSHOP

    Dragon Door: Tell me about your athletic background, and your
    accomplishments in powerlifting.

    Donnie Thompson: I got into football during my senior year, when I
    started public high school. Then I got a scholarship to a small school
    called Shepherd College. In my junior year of college I started
    playing pretty good. I became a center, which is what I’d always
    wanted to be. My senior year I made all of the awards, you know, best
    lineman, All-Conference and a Conference title.

    I went into the NFL after that. I got to play in the NFL’s player
    strike in 1987. I played for Tampa Bay. We played for five weeks in
    three games and then they cut us off. Then my agent got me into Arena
    Football in 1988. I started in New England and played six years from
    ’88 to ’93.

    After ’93, I decided to stop playing and start my own gym. It grew and
    grew and after six years, I sold it. I’d had enough of the health club
    business and I’d been giving 110% to it, you know? I gave everything.

    In 1998, I went to find Louis Simmons, of Westside Barbell. I made a
    pilgrimage out there for nine days and decided to learn powerlifting.
    He told me I was way too thin. I’d kept my body weight down—I think I
    weighed 257 lbs. when I met him.

    I started pulling a sled, and doing bands and chains. I was training
    twice a day and I ended up dropping more weight. A burst of power down
    to a 220-lb. weight class. I was way underweight, and I was going
    through a lot of stress with work. I’ve lifted at five weight classes,
    and I’ve pretty much won something in each.

    So I couldn’t gain weight; I was very lean. But I was getting better
    and better, and I started really picking up right around the time when
    I finally sold my gym. I sold it to Marc Bartley, my training partner.
    He still runs it and he enjoys it.

    Marc started training with me and a few others, but Marc and I were
    the only ones that lasted. My goal from the beginning was to be number
    one. So I kept going and finally I totaled 2,400 lbs. my first time in
    2002, as a super heavyweight.

    I also placed second at my first pro meet at the Show of Strength,
    which starred Gary Frank, the strongest guy in the world. Then in
    2003, I had a really rough year. I tore my hamstring in two places,
    and my knees got really bad from that tear. But I worked through it
    and managed to qualify for an Arnold. Then, when the Arnold
    came, I hurt my back. I almost quit. But I set up my life to not fall
    back on anything.

    I was in such pain that I couldn’t walk. I remember being on the
    kitchen floor for three hours. I weighed 355 lbs. at the time, and
    when you weigh that much and you can’t walk, it’s pretty hard. You’re
    like a turtle with no legs.

    For 2004, I finally came back and I was stronger than ever. At the
    Show of Strength, I placed second with a total of 2,551 lbs. Then, I
    went to the Arnold Classic again for the WPO Championships. It was
    there that I won first place for the super heavyweight title and belt.

    Anyway, Mr. Haney, my friend in Columbia, SC and the former
    track-and-field star at USC, kept preaching these kettlebells to me.
    He’d say, "You ought to try them. I’ve been doing them for the last
    couple of years now." His back was really bad, and he
    said that they were relieving his pain. So I decided to look into
    them.

    We ordered them, but they weren’t going to arrive before we left for
    the Arnold. So I went to Pavel and I said, "I need to get better here.
    I’m missing this meet because my back’s out." I told him that I
    deadlifted 804 at my last meet, and that I was a super heavyweight. He
    got all excited. He pulled me aside and he told me, "I’m going to
    teach you some unorthodox things that I’m not responsible for. Do you
    understand?" I said, "The way I train with bands and chains and stuff,
    everything is unorthodox!" So he showed me some things that would
    help my back get better.

    Those sessions with Pavel were
    the best half-hours I’ve spent
    learning from anyone

    At the Arnold, I sat and watched backstage while Spud
    took second place in his weight class, got on the winner’s
    podium and got his check and his medal. I was back there
    just helping them. It was awful. It was the most awful
    experience. I was happy for him, but no one likes to sit on
    the bench.

    Our kettlebells came in the week we got back. We
    started using them and I quickly adapted to them. Pavel
    wasn’t sure what they would do for my upper body. He
    said they probably wouldn’t help my bench, but they’d
    help my back.

    My back is still tricky. If I wasn’t doing kettlebells, it
    would go out about five times a year. It’d be a five-toseven
    day thing where I’m walking kind of crooked. But
    that hasn’t happened since I’ve been on kettlebells.

    Kettlebells hit hamstrings where I
    needed them strong. They hit glutes
    were I needed them strong. And
    they do a tremendous amount of ab
    work. I’m not sure most people
    understand how much ab work
    kettlebells do. They are very
    beneficial.

    I kept with single movements for a couple of months,
    and then I ordered enough KBs so we have doubles now.
    In Hard-Style Magazine, there was an article that
    explained how I pulled 832 at. . .I weighed 384 lbs. I was
    at like, 176 kilos when I weighed in. Ridiculous! I had
    never weighed that much in my life and I didn’t even
    know that I weighed that much, because my waist is
    smaller.

    But the kettlebells put so much mass on my upper
    body, and I couldn’t get that with conventional weights.

    DD: Interesting!

    D.T.: Yeah. My shoulders were weak all of my life, but
    the kettlebells helped me put on mass immediately.

    DD: Which exercises did that for you?

    D.T.: Well, I do a myriad of exercises. I did a lot of
    swings from the side, not just in the middle. Because the
    middle, for me, is a lot of lower body. And I do dual
    kettlebells, or with the 88-kilo, I’ll do single-line
    kettlebells.

    Then I’ll take 72s and go double. I’ll do pull-throughs
    with my legs, and that really gets my lower body. I’ve got
    to be careful with those. I do them after I squat, because if
    I did them the day before something, my glutes and
    hamstrings would be too sore to actually squat. Some of
    my other powerlifter friends were sore for five or six days
    the first time they tried double-kettlebell swings between
    the legs. Then I do the outside, and then I make my
    deadlift. I use the 72s for that.

    Then I’ll have two upper-body days. A lot of snatches,
    snatch presses, and bottoms-up presses. It really has made
    a difference in my shoulders. As for deltoid work, I’ll hold
    static kettlebells like this, plopped over my arms for a ten
    count, and do a set of three to five. Or I’ll hold them out
    here, and then bring them back up and then flip them
    over, bring them down, or I’ll have them here, and bring
    them back up, then flip them over and bring them down.
    It takes about an hour and a half for a small group of us
    to get through it.

    Marc and I will tell you the same
    thing, because we are pretty much
    at the same level of powerlifting:
    We honestly have not seen anything
    that 100% transferred over to a
    sport like kettlebells. I mean there
    is nothing about KBs that doesn’t
    transfer over to powerlifting.

    I’m happy, because now I have something that I can do
    when I’m done powerlifting. I can do kettlebells all the
    way into my twilight years.

    I’m tickled to death about that and I only have to buy
    KBs one time! [Laughter] Nothing is going to happen to
    them, because those little iron balls, they are
    indestructible. It’s like finding a treasure or something.

    Kettlebells will never be easy. When you get stronger,
    your reward is to do a harder task. But I’ll keep doing
    them to stay ahead of my powerlifting competition.

    I’ve got a large group in South Carolina that has been
    doing kettlebells. I have to bring the KBs from where I
    work to my gym, because I don’t have my own set for the
    gym yet. And if I don’t bring them, everybody’s mad.
    "How come you didn’t bring those kettlebells from
    work?"

    We are all going to do doubles for powerlifting. The
    doubles have been the best thing for a load. Mostly,
    everything is doubles. I teach single arm, but for me, I do
    doubles.

    DD: Excellent! So how has the certification been for
    you?

    D.T.: It’s been exciting to do stuff that I haven’t done in
    so long. I haven’t been out in a field like that barefooted,
    training. Not since football practice ten years ago. It’s
    really fun!

    Also, being around people with different backgrounds
    is nice, because I’m only exposed to top-level powerlifters
    right now. It’s nice for a change to see the regular world
    out there. Seeing people with basic needs, who represent
    the kind of clients that we teach kettlebells to. But my
    biggest reason for coming out here and doing this is that I
    want to be a strength coach after my powerlifting career.
    That transition will happen in one or two years.

    As a strength coach for football
    players that specialize in offensive
    and defensive line, the key is
    kettlebells. My kids train with
    bands and chains and stuff, but
    when we put the kettlebells on top
    of that, you are talking about a
    turbo-type of training. In four to
    five years, these kids are going to
    be dominating their opponents.
    They’ll dominate to the point where
    other teams are afraid to play them.

    That’s my goal. Because the strength coaches are going
    to have to change in big-time college football and in the
    NFL, because we are on the way up. People like me are
    coming into the business now.

    I went to my hometown college, USC in South
    Carolina. In the state paper, they showed how the
    strength coach has the team doing full squats. They
    haven’t done this since the 1980s. Now that’s a crying
    shame! But how do you discover full squats? I mean,
    they’ve been around forever.

    They’re a major S.E.C. football team that is just now
    discovering full squats? I would love to be a coach in
    another S.E.C. school that plays them, because my kids
    would have been doing squats with bands, box squats,
    sled pulling, and we’d add kettlebell work on top of that.
    I’d go to South Carolina licking my chops. I don’t care if
    Steve Spurrier is the coach or not. My guys would kill
    their guys! We are coming. We are on the way! We are
    going to break into this, and then everybody’s going to
    wonder how it’s happening.

    Just like Pavel said, "It’s growing. Kettlebells are just
    growing." He was the first. Your organization, Dragon
    Door, was the first organization to push this ahead. You
    pioneered it.

    You can contact Donnie at
    [email protected]

  3. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
> [...]

    > haven't done this since the 1980s. Now that's a crying
    > shame! But how do you discover full squats? I mean,
    > they've been around forever.
    >
    > They're a major S.E.C. football team that is just now
    > discovering full squats? I would love to be a coach in
    > another S.E.C. school that plays them, because my kids
    > would have been doing squats with bands, box squats,
    > sled pulling, and we'd add kettlebell work on top of that.
    > I'd go to South Carolina licking my chops. I don't care if
    > Steve Spurrier is the coach or not. My guys would kill
    > their guys! We are coming. We are on the way! We are
    > going to break into this, and then everybody's going to
    > wonder how it's happening.
    >
    > Just like Pavel said, "It's growing. Kettlebells are just
    > growing." He was the first. Your organization, Dragon
    > Door, was the first organization to push this ahead. You

    What did you use to get the text out of the PDF, if I may ask? I
    haven't figured out a way to do that?

    TIA.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  4. On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:58:41 -0500, "Steve Freides"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

    >> They're a major S.E.C. football team that is just now
    >> discovering full squats? I would love to be a coach in
    >> another S.E.C. school that plays them, because my kids
    >> would have been doing squats with bands, box squats,
    >> sled pulling, and we'd add kettlebell work on top of that.
    >> I'd go to South Carolina licking my chops. I don't care if
    >> Steve Spurrier is the coach or not. My guys would kill
    >> their guys! We are coming. We are on the way! We are
    >> going to break into this, and then everybody's going to
    >> wonder how it's happening.
    >>
    >> Just like Pavel said, "It's growing. Kettlebells are just
    >> growing." He was the first. Your organization, Dragon
    >> Door, was the first organization to push this ahead. You
    >> pioneered it.
    >>
    >> You can contact Donnie at
    >> [email protected]

    >What did you use to get the text out of the PDF, if I may ask? I

    T Select Text ->Drag to select -> Copy To Clipboard/Paste

  5. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]
    >>> sled pulling, and we'd add kettlebell work on top of that.
    >>> I'd go to South Carolina licking my chops. I don't care if
    >>> Steve Spurrier is the coach or not. My guys would kill
    >>> their guys! We are coming. We are on the way! We are
    >>> going to break into this, and then everybody's going to
    >>> wonder how it's happening.
    >>>
    >>> Just like Pavel said, "It's growing. Kettlebells are just
    >>> growing." He was the first. Your organization, Dragon
    >>> Door, was the first organization to push this ahead. You
    >>> pioneered it.
    >>>
    >>> You can contact Donnie at
    >>> [email protected]

    >>What did you use to get the text out of the PDF, if I may ask? I
    >>haven't figured out a way to do that?
    >>
    >>TIA.
    >>
    >>-S-
    >>http://www.kbnj.com

    > T Select Text ->Drag to select -> Copy To Clipboard/Paste

    Ah, it's the first of those steps I didn't know about. Thanks much.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  6. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]
    >>> I'd go to South Carolina licking my chops. I don't care if
    >>> Steve Spurrier is the coach or not. My guys would kill
    >>> their guys! We are coming. We are on the way! We are
    >>> going to break into this, and then everybody's going to
    >>> wonder how it's happening.
    >>>
    >>> Just like Pavel said, "It's growing. Kettlebells are just
    >>> growing." He was the first. Your organization, Dragon
    >>> Door, was the first organization to push this ahead. You
    >>> pioneered it.
    >>>
    >>> You can contact Donnie at
    >>> [email protected]

    >>What did you use to get the text out of the PDF, if I may ask? I
    >>haven't figured out a way to do that?
    >>
    >>TIA.
    >>
    >>-S-
    >>http://www.kbnj.com

    > T Select Text ->Drag to select -> Copy To Clipboard/Paste

    Ah, it's the first of those steps I didn't know about. Thanks much.

  7. Tiny Ballerina

    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

    >> They're a major S.E.C. football team that is just now
    >> discovering full squats? I would love to be a coach in
    >> another S.E.C. school that plays them, because my kids
    >> would have been doing squats with bands, box squats,
    >> sled pulling, and we'd add kettlebell work on top of that.
    >> I'd go to South Carolina licking my chops. I don't care if
    >> Steve Spurrier is the coach or not. My guys would kill
    >> their guys! We are coming. We are on the way! We are
    >> going to break into this, and then everybody's going to
    >> wonder how it's happening.
    >>
    >> Just like Pavel said, "It's growing. Kettlebells are just
    >> growing." He was the first. Your organization, Dragon
    >> Door, was the first organization to push this ahead. You
    >> pioneered it.
    >>
    >> You can contact Donnie at
    >> [email protected]

    >What did you use to get the text out of the PDF, if I may ask? I

  8. Dear Sir/Madam,

    We can offer you high quality footwear, such as slippers, sandals,
    sport shoes, fashion shoes, skate shoes, etc, showing with new styles
    and reasonably priced. If you are a buyer or an agent who is
    specialized in this products, please feel free to contact us.

    ROWOO INDUSTRIAL LIMITED
    http://www.RowooShoes.com
    Manufacture Slippers,Sandals,Shoes in china,Chinese Exporter Factory
    www.Slippers-Sandals.com http://www.slippers-sandals.com

  9. Dear Sir/Madam,

    > We can offer you high quality footwear, such as slippers, sandals,
    > sport shoes, fashion shoes, skate shoes, etc, showing with new styles
    > and reasonably priced. If you are a buyer or an agent who is
    > specialized in this products, please feel free to contact us.

    ROWOO INDUSTRIAL LIMITED
    http://www.RowooShoes.com
    Manufacture Slippers,Sandals,Shoes in china,Chinese Exporter Factory

  10. Dear Sir/Madam,

    > We can offer you high quality footwear, such as slippers, sandals,
    > sport shoes, fashion shoes, skate shoes, etc, showing with new styles
    > and reasonably priced. If you are a buyer or an agent who is
    > specialized in this products, please feel free to contact us.

    ROWOO INDUSTRIAL LIMITED
    http://www.RowooShoes.com
    Manufacture Slippers,Sandals,Shoes in china,Chinese Exporter Factory

  11. Dear Sir/Madam,