Sick "Joe" need diagnosis

::dom::

Feb 28, 2004
My Topeak "Joe Blow" pump is usually the only track pump around for our group rides and so gets a lot of use. After a large ride on the weekend and many "Dom can I borrow your pump" Joe was overworked and suffering from exhaustion and probably more serious complications.

Here's the symptoms:

- When pushed down the shaft is pushed up again buy the air pressure.

- The gauge needle shoots up to 100psi on the down stroke but returns to zero on the up stroke.

Your diagnosis please Drs and recommended treatment and a point in the right direction for parts. I can only purchase parts online - NO LBS :(

...or should I retire the hard working Joe?

Thanks

::dom:: said:
My Topeak "Joe Blow" pump is usually the only track pump around for our group rides and so gets a lot of use. After a large ride on the weekend and many "Dom can I borrow your pump" Joe was overworked and suffering from exhaustion and probably more serious complications.

Here's the symptoms:

- When pushed down the shaft is pushed up again buy the air pressure.

- The gauge needle shoots up to 100psi on the down stroke but returns to zero on the up stroke.

Your diagnosis please Drs and recommended treatment and a point in the right direction for parts. I can only purchase parts online - NO LBS :(

...or should I retire the hard working Joe?

Thanks

There is no check valve in the pump - I can blow air into my pump head (Joe Blow Pro so they're not quite the same) and make the handle go up.

What happens if you try to pump with the head not being connected to the valve? If you can't even pump that way then something is clogged or pinched - that would be really unusual.

Possible that you didn't unscrew the presta valve core and burp it?

DiabloScott said:
There is no check valve in the pump - I can blow air into my pump head (Joe Blow Pro so they're not quite the same) and make the handle go up.

What happens if you try to pump with the head not being connected to the valve? If you can't even pump that way then something is clogged or pinched - that would be really unusual.

Possible that you didn't unscrew the presta valve core and burp it?

I have it in the car (I'm at work) I'll try and pump with no connection... but air was getting through, just not a lot.

Tried it on three different tyres to make sure it wasn't a faulty valve. It's definately the pump.