Sick of the "they knew the risk" remark

davidmc said:
I think I have to side w/ Zap on this one. The U.S. has the most extreme weather of any inhabited nation. High winds-Mount Washington (world record wind speed) Death Valley (world record high temp-2nd place), avg. # of hurricanes, avg. # of tornadoe's, mudslides, ect...

My take on the subject is that if Zap wins the debate then what does that say about the intelligence of people that would live in areas that are prone to such catasthrophy and risk exposure.

jhuskey said:
My take on the subject is that if Zap wins the debate then what does that say about the intelligence of people that would live in areas that are prone to such catasthrophy and risk exposure.
I used to live in Virginia Beach...I got smart and moved further inland...Now, instead of erosion, flooding and tsunamis to worry about I’ve got an errant tornado or two to contend with...You'd think our forefathers would have settled elsewhere.. :rolleyes:

BTW husk..not really a debate. Thus far it's been a one sided affair...

zapper said:
Hey green hornet, names have varied spellings and countries do not so yes I goofed ..Second, I didn't commit the typo multiple times and lastly I'll take the hit and I'm not going to blame it on a website...

That's fair enough.

I think Jack Nicklaus was the best ever golfer.

davidmc said:
I think I have to side w/ Zap on this one. The U.S. has the most extreme weather of any inhabited nation. High winds-Mount Washington (world record wind speed) Death Valley (world record high temp-2nd place), avg. # of hurricanes, avg. # of tornadoe's, mudslides, ect...
Damn it peabody there you go using that word "average" or "avg"...Prozac can't see that word on his monitor or Lim has yet to pm him with the definition of the word... :p

limerickman said:
That's fair enough.

I think Jack Nicklaus was the best ever golfer.
Yes, I agree and he lives in a country that experiences the most severe weather on average. ;)

zapper said:
You'd think our forefathers would have settled elsewhere.. :rolleyes:
It was too costly & dangerous to go back not to mention returning to live under a monarchy. I'll take the "lions & tigers & bears" anytime as long as freedom of the press, freedom of expression, & taxation w/ representation is administered.

zapper said:
I used to live in Virginia Beach...I got smart and moved further inland...Now, instead of erosion, flooding and tsunamis to worry about I’ve got an errant tornado or two to contend with...You'd think our forefathers would have settled elsewhere.. :rolleyes:

BTW husk..not really a debate. Thus far it's been a one sided affair...

I just don't understand why "some" would re-build along the Mississippi in a known flood plain or in Ca. in "mud slide city" or other areas after they have experienced such problems.
You can't tame the Dragon.You can only avoid it for a while.

jhuskey said:
I just don't understand why "some" would re-build along the Mississippi in a known flood plain or in Ca. in "mud slide city" or other areas after they have experienced such problems.
You can't tame the Dragon.You can only avoid it for a while.
So by that rationale, the entire population of Japan should evacuate???

Espada9 said:
So by that rationale, the entire population of Japan should evacuate???

The ones on the coast in Japan have actually built Tsunami walls that can be closed and of course we do have a lot more area here that is livable but unoccupied. But Japan is a highly exposed area for natural disasters.

zapper said:
Yes, I agree and he lives in a country that experiences the most severe weather on average. ;)

Well JN is the finest exponent of golf - the game invented in the country with the most severe weather condition, Bonny Scotland !

jhuskey said:
The ones on the coast in Japan have actually built Tsunami walls that can be closed and of course we do have a lot more area here that is livable but unoccupied. But Japan is a highly exposed area for natural disasters.
True, True,

But I’ll risk the “natural disaster” potential in exchange for the perfect climate and laid-back lifestyle!

Besides, no matter where you live, there is some risk involved, you can’t escape it!

Espada9 said:
True, True,

But I’ll risk the “natural disaster” potential in exchange for the perfect climate and laid-back lifestyle!

Besides, no matter where you live, there is some risk involved, you can’t escape it!

That is a point well taken ,as in, I read the safest place to live is on Death Row, since no one has ever died there waiting for execution.
True? I am not sure but I like to quote the statistic when I sometimes give a seminar on safety.
Biggest risk here is riding in traffic amoung the many, many tourists.

jhuskey said:
That is a point well taken ,as in, I read the safest place to live is on Death Row, since no one has ever died there waiting for execution.
True? I am not sure but I like to quote the statistic when I sometimes give a seminar on safety.
Biggest risk here is riding in traffic amoung the many, many tourists.
Good point!
Which one is riskier, a trailer park in Okalahoma or Florida, or death row???

Espada9 said:
Good point!
Which one is riskier, a trailer park in Okalahoma or Florida, or death row???

Neither, a back alley in New Jersey or a golf course in Florida or the belt way in DC. Granted only one is weather related that being lightning in Florida. I can be corrected here but as I recall that more people die from lightning in Florida than any other weather related cause on average.
I am sure more die from lightning there than anywhere else in the US each year. Mostly all males too. Go figure!

zapper said:
Perhaps you could all go to Iraq, now they do have really nice weather. Not too hot, nor too cold, no hurricanes, or floods. Ideal I would say. Plenty of oil as well for your 4x4.s to go and play in the sand.

FredC said:
Perhaps you could all go to Iraq, now they do have really nice weather. Not too hot, nor too cold, no hurricanes, or floods. Ideal I would say. Plenty of oil as well for your 4x4.s to go and play in the sand.
I COULD go to Iraq (my employer has several projects in Iraq) but I don’t own a 4X4.
See www.AMEC.com

I like it here in So-Cal thank you very much!

I'm out!, gotta go ride!

limerickman said:
Well JN is the finest exponent of golf - the game invented in the country with the most severe weather condition, Bonny Scotland !
touché almost... If you had facts to back up your claim...nice try though....

Good point FredC about familial relations. I guess I get carried away a bit at times.

FredC said:
Apologies accepted, how were you to know that. As far as I am concerned that is one of the Rules of engagement protocol on MB's. We can **** each other off, but because we don't know the posters parental and family backgrounds it is best left out of it, as situations are many and varied. Although I did make an exception of Weisse Luft as he purported to be an ardent follower of Judism. His
comments led me to believe that he was not all that he stood for, and he eventually admitted it. However, if you read my posts to him you will find that I am disgusted by some of his relations not to furnish him with genealogical data that he wishes to know and compile, and I sympathise with him. As for his crappy postings I'll still **** them.
Game on. Normal service is resumed.

limerickman said:
I think that the origins of the game of golf were indeed Dutch and not Scottish.

FredC said:
I think that the origins of the game of golf were indeed Dutch and not Scottish.
its is accredited to lighthouse keepers who used to enterain themselves with home made clubs and round beach pebbles. See who could knock it into the hole in the fewest strokes...

in the Western Isles of Scotland. Lewis, the Uists, Harris and Barra etc.