Sick of the "they knew the risk" remark

MountainPro said:
its is accredited to lighthouse keepers who used to enterain themselves with home made clubs and round beach pebbles. See who could knock it into the hole in the fewest strokes...

in the Western Isles of Scotland. Lewis, the Uists, Harris and Barra etc.

Yes, that's what I remember reading - Scotland .

zapper said:
touché almost... If you had facts to back up your claim...nice try though....

Jack Nicklaus or the weather in Scotland ? (weather which is not limited to a report about hurricanes and tornados, only in America).

FredC said:
I think that the origins of the game of golf were indeed Dutch and not Scottish.
I believe it was Scottish or perhaps Irish but i digress,who gives a damn. Look what it's turned into. An expensive, elitist, mostly white, "game" of the leisure class. Thats how it is over here anyways. Any takers :confused:

davidmc said:
I believe it was Scottish or perhaps Irish but i digress,who gives a damn. Look what it's turned into. An expensive, elitist, mostly white, "game" of the leisure class. Thats how it is over here anyways. Any takers :confused:
yep, i'll take you up...i have watched the ryder cup and the Euro-captain comes from the same small town in Scotland as i do (look it up if you want to find where i live)...

it is an elitist sport but not played by experts at the game rather its played by middle aged businessmen (or businessmen wannabes) trying to sweet talk clients and associates etc...

here in Scotland you can see a group of little kids playing in the park with thier dads golf clubs...its a working class sport. Its kinda like the way horse racing is in Ireland, its eliteist everywhere else but you regularly see kids walking racehorses down the cobbled streets of Dublin. (either that or i have read too many Roddy Doyle books)

MountainPro said:
yep, i'll take you up...i have watched the ryder cup and the Euro-captain comes from the same small town in Scotland as i do (look it up if you want to find where i live)...

it is an elitist sport but not played by experts at the game rather its played by middle aged businessmen (or businessmen wannabes) trying to sweet talk clients and associates etc...

here in Scotland you can see a group of little kids playing in the park with thier dads golf clubs...its a working class sport. Its kinda like the way horse racing is in Ireland, its eliteist everywhere else but you regularly see kids walking racehorses down the cobbled streets of Dublin. (either that or i have read too many Roddy Doyle books)
Sounds o.k. Maybe I'm too critical of it but it is not for everyone. I'm sure the originators did'nt intend for it to be what it is today. I have read where it is mandatory to play for buisiness "schmoozing" as you indicated. As an aside, it takes a considerable amt. of land. I guess that's better than having condo's or a parking lot in it's place.

davidmc said:
Sounds o.k. Maybe I'm too critical of it but it is not for everyone. I'm sure the originators did'nt intend for it to be what it is today. I have read where it is mandatory to play for buisiness "schmoozing" as you indicated. As an aside, it takes a considerable amt. of land. I guess that's better than having condo's or a parking lot in it's place.
i provide e-commerce web solutions for small business letting them trade online securely...you'll be amazed of the amount of my clients that spend thier entire working day on the golf course....'networking' apparently, dealing with suppliers on the phone and sucking up to new suppliers...

they always manage to drag themselves home about 6pm after spending a couple hours in the 19th hole...

poor souls, such a hard life..

MountainPro said:
i provide e-commerce web solutions for small business letting them trade online securely...you'll be amazed of the amount of my clients that spend thier entire working day on the golf course....'networking' apparently, dealing with suppliers on the phone and sucking up to new suppliers...

they always manage to drag themselves home about 6pm after spending a couple hours in the 19th hole...

It is a good ploy to get outta' the office & at the same time talk man to man w/ clients but dammit, before you go- clock-out !!! ;) Just joking.

cdaleguy said:
I am sick of the "they knew the risk" while talking about US soldiers, now in a war zone. I for one (when I joined the Army Ntl Guard) didn't even THINK of the possibility of "going to war." All I knew was that I got $*** a month for putting on some silly uniform and acting like a "soldier." I didn't think of war and would be willing to bet that the majority of the enlisted today "thought of war" when they signed up. Hell, my experience with the military (personnel) is that they probably are not capable of projecting out in to the future possibilities. The military is a joke and the majority of the "soldiers" in the military are a joke. They honestly have a lower i.q. than the means....or maybe not....come to think of it, the majority of people ARE stupid, so maybe they (soldiers) are right at the mean.

Thank you! I actually LOVE this post! See, it's people like you, that "think" but don't act, that make people like me proud to have served. The thing I love the most is seeing how you feel about protecting the rights given to you under the constitution. I joined the military because I felt it was my duty as an American to protect these rights, and if protecting them for future generations meant dieing, then so be it. All I can say is, you joined the National Guard, man! Enjoy the freedoms that others have protected for you, god knows you don't have the "balls" to do it yourself!

Ok, genuis....do tell us what those that have "died to give us freedom" have actually fought for?.....oil, money, power?......i thought so....NOT FREEDOM. You are such a pawn. You actually believe that you fought for freedom, don't you? Tell me, during the Vietnam War, what "freedom" were Americans fighting for? While you're at it, please tell me what "freedom" Americans fought for in the Gulf War and also currently in the Middle East. The only war that was justified was WWII, where American soil was attacked. What a schmo, you are.

snyper0311 said:
Thank you! I actually LOVE this post! See, it's people like you, that "think" but don't act, that make people like me proud to have served. The thing I love the most is seeing how you feel about protecting the rights given to you under the constitution. I joined the military because I felt it was my duty as an American to protect these rights, and if protecting them for future generations meant dieing, then so be it. All I can say is, you joined the National Guard, man! Enjoy the freedoms that others have protected for you, god knows you don't have the "balls" to do it yourself!

snyper0311 said:
So, by you're reasoning, Bush is a "scurillous yellow-dog" for joining the Guard :confused: Thank you for pointing that out because I can't stand the guy (Bush) either :p

davidmc said:
So, by you're reasoning, Bush is a "scurillous yellow-dog" for joining the Guard :confused: Thank you for pointing that out because I can't stand the guy (Bush) either :p

YES! What he did to dodge the war and his RESPONSIBILITY as an AMERICAN is SICK! In my OPINION,the National Guard is here for people like Cdaleguy and Bush, to PRETEND and WISH! It's the easy way to get out! Just goes to show how we, as a country, have made it easy for people to FORGET that FREEDOM ISN'T FREE! I don't care if I'm called a pawn. If being proud to be an American is being a pawn, then I am! And I am not saying that we (Americans) are better than others, either. What I am saying is that I love my country. Call me what you want, say what you want to about our great country, jsut remember, if you don't like it, you have an alternitive. Get the F**k out!

MountainPro said:
...you'll be amazed of the amount of my clients that spend thier entire working day on the golf course....'networking' apparently, dealing with suppliers on the phone and sucking up to new suppliers...

So what's wrong with that, a nice leisurely 18 holes in good company with a little wager thrown in. I thought that's what the game is supposed to be about.
Jesus, you want to see what a round down here in Surrey costs. I've had a game on Royal Dornoch by the way, and the attitude of members to each other was very civilised, down here the attitude is contemptible and clicky.
Membership fees? You'd have to sell your house to get in.

FredC said:
So what's wrong with that, a nice leisurely 18 holes in good company with a little wager thrown in. I thought that's what the game is supposed to be about.
Jesus, you want to see what a round down here in Surrey costs. I've had a game on Royal Dornoch by the way, and the attitude of members to each other was very civilised, down here the attitude is contemptible and clicky.
My point exactly. Regardless of its roots, it has become the sport of the "leisure class" & well to do hillbillies. ;)

Scotty_Dog said:
Hey Einstein, if you are going to sarcastically call someone a genius, at least check your spelling. Brilliant!!!
Yo dog...I'm not a fan of your opinion of Bush but....You must understand something about Cdaleguy unless he's already clued you in...He is a Real estate "professional"...So, a tycoon of his stature isn't concerned about spelling. His only quest in life is to make sure every home is placed upon a concrete slab... :p

Besides his bike weighs 50lbs...

All of this coming from somebody that calls mobile homes, "modular." Oh yeah, AND he puts them on a crawl space so you can REALLY stomp around and get the full feel of it's "modularness." Don't push on the walls too firmly, as they will crumble when too much force is applied. Hey, just think....when you're ready to move, maybe zapper can come pick up you and your "modular home." This will save you from packing. Just throw all of your belongings in the thin, cheap closets...and....off ya go to your new "modular home park."

zapper said:
Yo dog...I'm not a fan of your opinion of Bush but....You must understand something about Cdaleguy unless he's already clued you in...He is a Real estate "professional"...So, a tycoon of his stature isn't concerned about spelling. His only quest in life is to make sure every home is placed upon a concrete slab... :p

Besides his bike weighs 50lbs...

cdaleguy said:
All of this coming from somebody that calls mobile homes, "modular." Oh yeah, AND he puts them on a crawl space so you can REALLY stomp around and get the full feel of it's "modularness." Don't push on the walls too firmly, as they will crumble when too much force is applied. Hey, just think....when you're ready to move, maybe zapper can come pick up you and your "modular home." This will save you from packing. Just throw all of your belongings in the thin, cheap closets...and....off ya go to your new "modular home park."
Hey slab boy...Still showing your ignorance I see. I suggest you do a little reading...You still don't get it. You still haven't backed up your stupid points with any factual evidence...BTW, my "thin, cheap closet" is bigger than your living, family room or den....why do yer learn yourself up on that profession of yours and come back and see me...

I'm still curious as to what freakin "hooterville" town presented you with a Real Estate license...Say hi to boss hogg for me will ya?

zapper said:
Zapper, I have never expressed any opinion about Bush on this forum.

Regarding Cdaleguy, he stated many moons ago that he dealt with "rentals" in the real estate profession. I imagine that means placing renters, rent collections, etc., not materials and/or methods of construction. A GC he is not.

I'm just happy that he finally figured out how to size a bike.:D

FredC said:
there is nothing wrong with that...on a sunday afternoon but 6 days a week is surely taking the proverbial ****..

club membership rates here are also astronomical with a lot of clubs having a 10+ year waiting list ... thats assuming you have been nominated by a committee member and seconded by a further 2 members...

sod that, i prefer hacking up my local public park with an old sandwedge...