Sick of the "they knew the risk" remark

FredC said:
LOL. I've just wasted a winter on here of what's left of my life. I haven't learn't a thing that will stand me in good stead.
Now then you lot, remember that thing with two wheels and pedals, has anybody done any training so far, and when's your first race of the season?

Yes, actually I have but I am generally just training for old age. I would like to be in shape for it when it arrives.

zapper said:
Anytime birdman. I know that you do not condone my posting style yet you seem to be fair and balanced.

You ought to try to be fair and balanced.

FredC said:
...and squirmy makes three all living under the straw together. Perhaps Birdman could make a nest out of the wreckage from last Friday.
The wreckage from last Friday????? HAAHAAAHAAAHAA you have got to joking. The only wreckage from last Thursday (I was on an airplane last Friday) was your inability to come back at me in the least bit. I opened a keg of whoop A on you and you pulled out a shot glass in all due respect.

birdman23 said:
The wreckage from last Friday????? HAAHAAAHAAAHAA you have got to joking. The only wreckage from last Thursday (I was on an airplane last Friday) was your inability to come back at me in the least bit. I opened a keg of whoop A on you and you pulled out a shot glass in all due respect.
No I believe he pulled out "dino" by the tail....

birdman23 said:
Again they love to complain and find fault but that is one of the freedoms democratic societies have..

I am very thankful that the Greeks created the concept of democracy too.
You lot ought to be grateful to them too.
Are you grateful to the Greeks for this concept, Birdman ?

birdman23 said:
I posed a question to the whole lot a while ago and there was not one response. The question was basically this, "you can complain about the US and its foreign policy but push come to shove if your country were under attack would you want aid from the US military?
Not ONE response from any of them because they would all want it but are to f'n proud to admit it.

It depends really.
Looking at the US record in both world wars, it would have to depend how profitable it was for the US military to help.

The record so far, isn't promising, is it ?
It seems your military only get involved for profit.

So to answer your question "if your country were under attack would you want aid from the US military? " - I'd have to answer, we'd have to provide a cost/benefit analysis to try to persuade you to help us.

After all, we don't have any oil here !

limerickman said:

It depends really.
Looking at the US record in both world wars, it would have to depend how profitable it was for the US military to help.

So to answer your question "if your country were under attack would you want aid from the US military? " - I'd have to answer, we'd have to provide a cost/benefit analysis to try to persuade you to help us.

Profitable? Please Lim. How many billions of dollars has the US spent in rebuilding efforts after all wars? Where did the Japanese get the money to rebuild and start over? The US bankrolled the Japanese steel industry which is now a major comptetitor to the US steel industry. How many times has the US bailed out other countries with immeasurable amounts of aid and got nothing in return? It's not all about money and that is all I have to say about that. No point arguing about it.

limerickman said:
Yes, I'm convinced now that you had your lunch money stolen...I'm also convinced that you live in the past...MTM, Johnny Carson etc.. Constantly pulling up others posts and trying to make your lame points. This is funny...Yes, this is the argument you and I had where you maintained that the U.S. was a bloody continent and I was giving you a geography lesson...PRICELESS. Hey save that one for the "box set" and we'll sell it next Christmas. hahahaha You just keep shooting yourself in the foot. don't you?

Let's get this straight....First you post old links to illustrate how squirmy deserved to get axed in response to my accusation that you and fred and co. had a hand in it and the link you posted contained Freds omission that he did in fact report squirm.

Now you post this trying to prove a point and all it proves is you can't tell the difference between a country and a continent...hahahaha

You are priceless indeed! Hahahahahahahah

Please keep em coming….no stop I can’t take it….

birdman23 said:
Profitable? Please Lim. How many billions of dollars has the US spent in rebuilding efforts after all wars? Where did the Japanese get the money to rebuild and start over? The US bankrolled the Japanese steel industry which is now a major comptetitor to the US steel industry. How many times has the US bailed out other countries with immeasurable amounts of aid and got nothing in return? It's not all about money and that is all I have to say about that. No point arguing about it.

I thought you'd include the Marshall plan ?

Let's look at the evidence - the Marshall plan augured in a decade of prosperity for the USA.
In economic terms, the USA was the powerhouse of the world economy.
Prosperity abounded and US influence was actually tangible.
I'd go as far as to say, your country was the envy of the world.

So what accounted for this prosperity ?
All the engineering/building contracts throughout Europe helped.
The boost to industries such as aviation was tangible also.
The rebuilding of Japan and the boost to companies like GE was massive.
Who got all those contract to supply turbines throughout Japan ?
Siemens ? naw.
GE - BINGO.

Got nothing in return is factually incorrect - your country and your country's companies got plenty in return.

That's my entire point - nothing was given, without getting a return.

zapper said:
Yes, I'm convinced now that you had your lunch money stolen...I'm also convinced that you live in the past...MTM, Johnny Carson etc.. Constantly pulling up others posts and trying to make your lame points. This is funny...Yes, this is the argument you and I had where you maintained that the U.S. was a bloody continent and I was giving you a geography lesson...PRICELESS. Hey save that one for the "box set" and we'll sell it next Christmas. hahahaha You just keep shooting yourself in the foot. don't you?

Let's get this straight....First you post old links to illustrate how squirmy deserved to get axed in response to my accusation that you and fred and co. had a hand in it and the link you posted contained Freds omission that he did in fact report squirm.

Now you post this trying to prove a point and all it proves is you can't tell the difference between a country and a continent...hahahaha

You are priceless indeed! Hahahahahahahah

Please keep em coming….no stop I can’t take it….

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showth...23&page=6&pp=15

This was the link when started frothing and screaming and shouting
ARE WE CLEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when discussing Iraq.
(see message 77 on the attached link).

I recall this clearly - you were frothing at Fixey, AliceM and others.

You try to be fair and balanced - who are ya trying to cod, here ?

You might fool yourself but you ain't fooling anyone else, Zapper.

limerickman said:

It depends really.

Of course I appreciate the Greeks, Romans, Iroqoius nation, et al. Any civilization that has had an influence on modern democracy deserves our gratitude and appreciation. What is your point in asking if I am grateful?

Profitability: What did the US profit by going to Vietnam, Korea, Europe (WWI and WWII), Somalia, Afghanistan, etc. What profit is the US going to receive for sending relief to Indonesia?

Is there room to profit in Iraq? Yep I concede this as a possibility but there is still a greater good (ever study ethics?) that will arise from the ousting a tyrannical regime

limerickman said:
That's my entire point - nothing was given, without getting a return.

That's BS. Let me rephrase. The US did benefit after WWII but that is not the reason we entered the war. Our allies were in trouble and we stepped in to help out and it's a damn good thing we did or else you probably wouldn't be spouting off about democracy right now because you wouldn't be the beneficiary of basic democratic freedoms.
Yes the US got a lot of the building contracts but that is only because our entire economic infrastructure wasn't destroyed during the war. We could have said, "**** on you all and figure out your own way to rebuild cause we're going home to our country that hasn't been levelled" but we didn't now did we.

By the way you ignored my other examples.

birdman23 said:
Is there room to profit in Iraq? Yep I concede this as a possibility but there is still a greater good (ever study ethics?) that will arise from the ousting a tyrannical regime
Hey birdman...lim aka (mr. Waffle house or I.H.O.P. speaketh with fork tongue....On one hand he spouts how poor we Americans are as the "illegal war" is costing the U.S. billions..then he says we are making a profit... a true Disembler....

birdman23 said:
Of course I appreciate the Greeks, Romans, Iroqoius nation, et al. Any civilization that has had an influence on modern democracy deserves our gratitude and appreciation. What is your point in asking if I am grateful?

Profitability: What did the US profit by going to Vietnam, Korea, Europe (WWI and WWII), Somalia, Afghanistan, etc. What profit is the US going to receive for sending relief to Indonesia?

The concept of democracy is Greek and I too am grateful for devising this concept and ensuring that YOU AND I live within this concept.
That's who I am grateful to you - and I am glad that you share this.

There's always profit in war - the US knows this.
Why has it engaged in conflicts almost continuously since 1917, when it entered a war that started three years previously ?

Afghanistan was ideological, I'll grant you though

zapper said:
Hey birdman...lim aka (mr. Waffle house or I.H.O.P. speaketh with fork tongue....On one hand he spouts how poor we Americans are as the "illegal war" is costing the U.S. billions..then he says we are making a profit... a true Disembler....
Agreed. WE will get nowhere with "his kind" (I borrowed that from Lim's preferred vernacular :) ) on these types of issues but Fred brought up a good point about bikes.

I have been in the basement on the trainer but haven't ridden outside for a LONG time. Hopefully Saturday is nice.

limerickman said:
The concept of democracy is Greek and I too am grateful for devising this concept and ensuring that YOU AND I live within this concept.
That's who I am grateful to you - and I am glad that you share this.

There's always profit in war - the US knows this.
Why has it engaged in conflicts almost continuously since 1917, when it entered a war that started three years previously ?

Afghanistan was ideological, I'll grant you though
Agreed on most points. There is always profit in war, this is true, but I truly don't believe the economists sit down and evaluate on whether or not "It's a moneymaker!". If you add up ALL the costs that have been incurred by the American government and people throughout all of its conflicts I highly doubt that number is smaller than the profits. Just my opnion, I have no facts to back this up.

zapper said:
Business is good as always.. I see you still haven't learned anything... How is that slab of yours? Be careful not to sit on your floor too long you might get hemorrhoids...
Don't they need a new slab to reconstuct the WTC on?
Now listen Zap why don't you construct Coffer dams around the properties in Virginia, a bit of steel shuttering and some sand.

birdman23 said:
Agreed on most points. There is always profit in war, this is true, but I truly don't believe the economists sit down and evaluate on whether or not "It's a moneymaker!". If you add up ALL the costs that have been incurred by the American government and people throughout all of its conflicts I highly doubt that number is smaller than the profits. Just my opnion, I have no facts to back this up.
This is the worst post I have ever seen from you. Unless you have done it for the single purpose of a polemic invite, which I think it is.
No, I've told you before, I don't want any of your eggs thank you.