Sick people coming to work

I take back all those things I said about riding through illness. Evidently I had no idea what illness was until that wretched case of food poisoning a couple of weeks back. It took almost two weeks to fully get over it...

If I ever get one that bad again, I'm going to get a big spanky gun and shoot myself in the head. It might save me a lot of trouble.

Originally posted by tifosi
Lets differentiate a bit here.. if you can ride a bike without falling off when you have the flu... then you haven't got the flu, you've got a cold. Both viruses... different effects

Couldn't agree more. I was unclear of the difference until I caught the flu and was in bed, sleeping for about 18 hours a day, sweating and feeling terrible. Staying awake was hard enough with out riding as well. My advice (based on my own experience):

Cold: keep training, but only doing easy sessions. Take drugs to hide the sypmtoms until it disappears (~a week).

Flu: do nothing, be conservative in when you get back to training, as it might come back and bite you again.

Bronchitis/throat infections: easy training for a few days after the chunky bits stop coming up. Take whatever you doctor prescribes, along with a throat spray/gargle.

And in all cases, eat healthily and try to keep warm, dry and well rested. The key is always resisting the urge to get back on the bike.

I worked for a place where the boss came in even if he was close to death. Ridiculous. Especially when he expects same from everyone else.

Aside from spreading the disease, I just can't function when sick. I have to then come home to kids and family and dinner and all the **** that goes with it. When I'm sick I just wanna get OVER it - and that's not pushing myself to ridiculous lengths to get the friggin job done for someone else's profit.

</rant off>

Right on mate, if you run your own company it may be a different story but you still have to be considerate of the people that you share an office with!! I think that is even more important, what's the use if you're the only one left to do the job, not much sense in that.

Sorry man, us blue collar schmo's don't get paid if we don't show up so I'll be there every day sick or not unless you are providing for my family. We get no sick days and if you tick me off I'll wipe my nose on your phone. And do it when you're not looking. If your going to ***** and moan at least do it to a tune I can dance to.

nazgull, it's inconsiderate pr... uhm people like you that this thread is aimed at. Just like you I've got a family I have to look after, unfortunately in my case colds and flu has more far reaching effects than just a couple of days worth of inconvenience!! With your attitude there will only be one tune for you to dance to, a very slow one, and you’ll be doing that one alone as well! Keep your snotty nose to yourself!

Originally posted by nazgul
Sorry man, us blue collar schmo's don't get paid if we don't show up so I'll be there every day sick or not unless you are providing for my family. We get no sick days and if you tick me off I'll wipe my nose on your phone. And do it when you're not looking. If your going to ***** and moan at least do it to a tune I can dance to.

One post and you already have enemies! Nice way to start off!

Actually missed a day week before last due to flu, (course riding to work in the rain for three days before that didn't help any at all.

Fortunately I don't work with a buch of ppl, I actually work pretty much by myself (while the other fella's are at the other end of the machine....{they put sand, die, resin in, I take colored sand out pretty neat}...so if I am slightly sick I can still work with out fear of passing it on.......and if they are sick, I dont catch it....

I think nazgul has a bit of a point though. You're asking some guy with the sniffles to give up a portion of his earnings so that you don't catch his cold. So instead, you catch it from some germs your kid picked up at school (or whatever, my point is that you're going to be exposed to germs all the time anyway).

Obviously the best solution would be for everyone to be paid for their sick time! Then no one has to come to work sick. Those are the people who **** me off. They could've called in sick with no repercussions but they don't, they come in and sneeze all over.

Originally posted by heater
I think nazgul has a bit of a point though. You're asking some guy with the sniffles to give up a portion of his earnings so that you don't catch his cold. So instead, you catch it from some germs your kid picked up at school (or whatever, my point is that you're going to be exposed to germs all the time anyway).

Obviously the best solution would be for everyone to be paid for their sick time! Then no one has to come to work sick. Those are the people who **** me off. They could've called in sick with no repercussions but they don't, they come in and sneeze all over.

Yep, that would be the first prize in a perfect world. We all take our chances p'lem is nazgulls whole attitude ticked me off. To purposely go and spite someone's health is not my kind of game. I know I'll have to go for another operation in about 30 years, but any infection has a negative effect on the valve, and reduces its affectivity, meaning instead of the valve lasting 30 years it will make >25 years. That might mean that I have to go for the operation another 2 times (I'm planning on getting old - Only the good die young!!!). Once was bad enough for me, the cost is scary as well, in 2000 it cost about R 75 000.00! I don't even want to think what it will cost today.
I'm a very easy going person and don't get ****** off easily, but I do take my health very seriously, that’s why I got so mad when I read nazgul's post.

The solution is to get enough sleep and wash your hands often. Try not to touch your face when you are around an ATM machine, or phone that more than one person uses, and remember to wash your hands. Before and after you use the bathroom in a public place, as well as before eating anything, wash your hands.

I can not stress enough how much sickness people would save themselves from if they would wash their hands. As a nurse I am constantly exposed to germs and yet I'm rarely sick because I...
(say it with me now) WASH MY HANDS. ;)

Originally posted by poolnurse
The solution is to get enough sleep and wash your hands often. Try not to touch your face when you are around an ATM machine, or phone that more than one person uses, and remember to wash your hands. Before and after you use the bathroom in a public place, as well as before eating anything, wash your hands.

I can not stress enough how much sickness people would save themselves from if they would wash their hands. As a nurse I am constantly exposed to germs and yet I'm rarely sick because I...
(say it with me now) WASH MY HANDS. ;)

Just curious (or being difficult), but how much do you think the fact that you are constantly exposed to germs, and therefore probably have a better-developed immune system than the average person, contributes to that?

I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't wash their hands or get sufficient sleep, or that people with particular risks from infection should be cavalier about such things, but a number of pharmacists and GPs that I've worked with have felt that that was a factor. And I remember a few articles from several years ago speculating that the cleanliness of modern homes has probably made people more susceptible to disease because they didn't build up their immune systems in childhood as much as in the past.

I don't have the medical knowledge to argue that either way, but I thought it was interesting, and it possibly explains* my own good health. (Over the last 12 years I've been "ill" for a total of two days: actually ill for one day about ten years ago, and another half day about four years ago; the remaining half day wasn't exactly ill, just rather hung over. :D)

* It's not genetic (everyone else in my family gets ill several times a year). It's not the amount of sleep I get (maybe 3-4 hours a night). It's not that I eat healthily (while I do have fruit and vegetables -- bought from the supermarket and eaten raw and unwashed -- about half my meals come out of the office munchie machine, and you don't want to know what I do if I'm cooking for myself and happen to drop something on the floor). And it's not that I avoid public places or people that are ill. But I was one of those kids that was always eating dirt, and I'm only punctilious about washing my hands after using the bathroom and am pretty slack about it the rest of the time.

(Remember kiddies, don't try this at home...)

I'd have to go with the handwashing myself. I've worked with kids on and off during my years, and the most sick I ever got was during some of these situations. One fall Winter when I had a group of afterschool children to take care of, I had the flu reoccurr 3-4 times in a row, then I started washing my hands religiously and still do, and I haven't been sick with the flu for years.

Anyway, the flu strain changes, so if you develop a resistance to one type, or all types some year, that won't necessarily prevent other strains, or other years from attacking you right? So I think the handwashing in the long run makes the difference.

As a professional vocalist I cannot afford to sneeze more than once a day. I carry my own pen ALWAYS (stay away from the bank/gas station/any public pen) and this year I have had to stop shaking hands. Might make you look nuts or arrogant, but that is a small price to pay to not have to look out the window from bed, or go to work (or miss work in my case) from having some fool's microbilogy all up yer ass.

my employer gets all bent out of shape if you call off sick

perhaps they have gotten in trouble in the past.

One time I went to the Dr on my day off and took in the sick slip and they acted like it was poison.

Viri like influenza and rhino are spread through the eyes because the conjunctva are not as well suited to defense against these organisms. What to do? First of all DON'T TOUCH ANYWHERE near your eyes. Wearing goggles, while odd, might offer protection and there are some really comfortable types available.

I found eating a jar of kimchi weekly boosts my defense against these viri. Its rich in garlic, peppers and ginger, all of which are proven immune system boosters. The bok choy is another good vegetable.

Weisse Luft said:
Viri like influenza and rhino are spread through the eyes because the conjunctva are not as well suited to defense against these organisms. What to do? First of all DON'T TOUCH ANYWHERE near your eyes. Wearing goggles, while odd, might offer protection and there are some really comfortable types available.

I found eating a jar of kimchi weekly boosts my defense against these viri. Its rich in garlic, peppers and ginger, all of which are proven immune system boosters. The bok choy is another good vegetable.
Hey listen work dodgers, why not have an annual anti flu jab. Tell your boss that it costs more in worktime than wasting the company money in accessing the internet. Phone in with the 'flu excuse and 24hrs later back in work. Flu my ****. It's spreading.

Black Belt said:
As a professional vocalist I cannot afford to sneeze more than once a day. I carry my own pen ALWAYS (stay away from the bank/gas station/any public pen) and this year I have had to stop shaking hands. Might make you look nuts or arrogant, but that is a small price to pay to not have to look out the window from bed, or go to work (or miss work in my case) from having some fool's microbilogy all up yer ass.
Are you sure that you are not a lyricist, and more importantly don't hang about in toilets for the latest microbiological infection. Up yer ass Queer boy.