SID SL rebuild/teardown

kenshodan

Dec 20, 2003
Hey,
Just wondering if anybody has done the deed, was it tough? Can you use basic tools or do you need "special" tools? What type of shock oil (brand/weight) did you use? Did the fork work when repairs were completed, or would you let the"pros" at the local bike shop do it next time? I downloaded all the tech manuals from R/S's website, but I'd like know if it's worth doing the job myself.

PS. I am mechanically inclined and I do have lotsa tools!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Originally posted by kenshodan
Hey,
Just wondering if anybody has done the deed, was it tough? Can you use basic tools or do you need "special" tools? What type of shock oil (brand/weight) did you use? Did the fork work when repairs were completed, or would you let the"pros" at the local bike shop do it next time? I downloaded all the tech manuals from R/S's website, but I'd like know if it's worth doing the job myself.

PS. I am mechanically inclined and I do have lotsa tools!

Thanks in advance for the help!

I've done it. Most of the rebuild will take place on the right side which is where the pure/damping tube is located. This it what gets worn down the most since its where the oil resides. The right left side is were the air chambers are and if they are not leaking just pump in a bit of 10 weight oil through the valves to keep the o-rings lubed and leave it alone. You will need a special tool for the air side anyway, and if you open it you want to make sure to have a new o-ring set while you're at it.
The Left side is pretty easy to do if you follow instructions carefully. You will need 5 weight fork oil for it. Any quality suspension fluid should do fine. Look in a motorcycle shop if you can't find it at a bike shop. Rockshox recomends using something called red rum lubrican't for the seals and parts that require little oil but you can substitute this for 10 weight oil (maybe 15) which is what RS is doing for 2004 since red rum is kinda nasty and harder to obtain.
Just be aware that servicing a fork is a VERY messy job. When you open it up oil will pour out everywhere. Make sure to have a nice size pan or something to keep it off the floor while you work.