side pull brake set-up tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Robbins

brakes: 'modolo america' side pull

the problem i have on the front brake is that after i set-up the brake shoes to be equidistant from
the rim, after one application one shoe stays closer to the rim than the other. on further
application i notice that the closer shoe hardly moves when i pull on the lever, while the other
shoe moves twice as far.

even if i tighten up the mounting bolt on the back as tight as possible i still get the same
problem. i don't think the serated brake mount surface is gripping too well on the chromed fork, but
what to do? put some tape underneath for it to grip on?

i suspect this has something to do with the cable tension pulling or pushing the whole brake up or
down, but am unsure as to how to equalize the tension. any tips from the old pros?

thanks, mark

Mark, don't know this brake but maybe this page has some helfull info on it.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_dualpivot.shtml

Peter

"Mark Robbins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> brakes: 'modolo america' side pull
>
> the problem i have on the front brake is that after i set-up the brake shoes to be equidistant
> from the rim, after one application one shoe stays closer to the rim than the other. on further
> application i notice that the closer shoe hardly moves when i pull on the lever, while the other
> shoe moves twice as far.
>
> even if i tighten up the mounting bolt on the back as tight as possible i still get the same
> problem. i don't think the serated brake mount surface is gripping too well on the chromed fork,
> but what to do? put some tape underneath for it to grip on?
>
> i suspect this has something to do with the cable tension pulling or pushing the whole brake up or
> down, but am unsure as to how to equalize the tension. any tips from the old pros?
>
> thanks, mark

[email protected] (Mark Robbins) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> brakes: 'modolo america' side pull
>
> the problem i have on the front brake is that after i set-up the brake shoes to be equidistant
> from the rim, after one application one shoe stays closer to the rim than the other. on further
> application i notice that the closer shoe hardly moves when i pull on the lever, while the other
> shoe moves twice as far.
>
> even if i tighten up the mounting bolt on the back as tight as possible i still get the same
> problem. i don't think the serated brake mount surface is gripping too well on the chromed fork,
> but what to do? put some tape underneath for it to grip on?
>
> i suspect this has something to do with the cable tension pulling or pushing the whole brake up or
> down, but am unsure as to how to equalize the tension. any tips from the old pros?
>
Sounds like you need an offset brake wrench like this:

http://www.parktool.com/tools/OBW_1.shtml

For sidepull servicing instructions, see here: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/sidepull.shtml

[email protected] (Mark Robbins) wrote:

> brakes: 'modolo america' side pull ... any tips from the old pros?

1) Remove calipers

2) Braze on cantilever studs

3) Install cantilever brakes

4) Experience actual stopping

Chalo Colina

> "Mark Robbins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > brakes: 'modolo america' side pull
> >
> > the problem i have on the front brake is that after i set-up the brake shoes to be equidistant
> > from the rim, after one application one shoe stays closer to the rim than the other. on further
> > application i notice that the closer shoe hardly moves when i pull on the lever, while the other
> > shoe moves twice as far.
> >
> > even if i tighten up the mounting bolt on the back as tight as possible i still get the same
> > problem. i don't think the serated brake mount surface is gripping too well on the chromed fork,
> > but what to do? put some tape underneath for it to grip on?
> >
> > i suspect this has something to do with the cable tension pulling or pushing the whole brake up
> > or down, but am unsure as to how to equalize the tension. any tips from the old pros?

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:9PjRa.17012$KF1.303665@amstwist00...
> Mark, don't know this brake but maybe this page has some helfull info on
it.
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_dualpivot.shtml

I believe the America's one of the Modolos with a setscrew to hold the spring carrier to the
centerbolt. If that's loose the assembly might drift.

Set the clearance from the front allen head to the spring carrier off the bike and then lock that
adjustment when the arms move easily but won't wiggle front to back. Now mount the adjusted and
locked caliper assmebly to the bike. Grease or oil all threads.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.