side-pull brakes off center

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David E. Thomas, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. One brake on my rear side-pull brakes is closer to the rim than the other. I can center them but as
    soon as I use the brakes they go out of line again. How can I center them to make them stay?

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    David E. Thomascall writes:

    > One brake on my rear side-pull brakes is closer to the rim than the other. I can center them but
    > as soon as I use the brakes they go out of line again. How can I center them to make them stay?

    Clean the return spring contacts and grease them:

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.15.html

  3. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "David E. Thomascall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > One brake on my rear side-pull brakes is closer to the rim than the other. I can center them but
    > as soon as I use the brakes they go out of line again. How can I center them to make them stay?

    1. Make sure your wheel is centered relative to the lock nuts or your next steps will be in vain.
    2. Make sure your wheel is properly installed in the rear drop-outs.
    3. Make sure your frame is properly aligned.
    4. Once all the above are checked OK, there should be an adjustment that makes up for the
    differences in return spring tensions. You will need to find the adjustment and use it.

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  4. F. Knox

    F. Knox Guest

    "David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > "David E. Thomascall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > One brake on my rear side-pull brakes is closer to the rim than the other. I can center them but
    > > as soon as I use the brakes they go out

    > 4. Once all the above are checked OK, there should be an adjustment that makes up for the
    > differences in return spring tensions. You will need to find the adjustment and use it.
    >
    > David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

    This assumes he has newer dual pivots. For older single pivots, use a cone wrench on the larger of
    the two nuts on the outside of the brake while at the same time using one on the nut on the brake
    mounting bolt. This moves the entire brake unit without tightening the brake arms against each
    other. A heavy handed method (makes good mechanics unhappy) is to use a drift punch and hammer to
    lightly tap the spring on the side where the pad is farthest from the rim.