Side-pull caliper brakes what brand is good?

chuck68429

Mar 18, 2013
Hello everyone, I'm rebuilding an early 1980's road bike. It had Shimano Tourney center-pull brakes that are totally beat now. I want to replace them with side-pull calipers. What is a good inexpensive choice? I'm building this bike on a tight budget,re- using what I can and replacing the rest as economically as possible. Any help/suggestions would be welcome. This is my first total rebuild in 20-plus years! Thanks!

shimaNO 105's or Tektro's.

Cheap and stiffer than anything the '80's had to offer this side of Campagnolo Record sidepulls.

Be sure to check the reach, though. If this bike is as old and down-market as I think it is, you may need long-reach calipers. Measure the vertical distance from the center of the sidewall of the rim to the center of the brake bolt, and purchase accordingly.

Good point! Tourneys were cheaper models and generally found on bikes with fender clearance. The long reach version was probably the more popular option in the States.

Quote: Originally Posted by oldbobcat .
Be sure to check the reach, though. If this bike is as old and down-market as I think it is, you may need long-reach calipers. Measure the vertical distance from the center of the sidewall of the rim to the center of the brake bolt, and purchase accordingly.

+1 ...

BUT, the reach may not be just "long" (49mm-59mm) by today's standards, but possibly extra long (63mm-75mm) ...

So, the only current option (which 'I' know of) for replacement calipers would be made by TEKTRO ...

• while TEKTRO brake calipers are not particularly expensive, but they may cost more than you want to spend

FWIW. Try cleaning & lubing the mechanism + replacing the pads (minimally, remove the glaze from the contact surface of the brake pads) ...

PLUS, lube-or-replace your current current brake cables & housing!!!

You may find that your current center-pull calipers are more-than adequate when they are functioning as intended.

Thanks to Bob,Alfeng, and Oldbobcat. Damn, you guys sure gave me something to consider. I will certainly measure the clearance and distance needed for proper fit of the new brakes. I don't think it will pose a problem though. The bike didn't have fenders on it, and all the pictures I've seen online of them don't have fenders either. If I have any doubts I will go to my LBS. the mechanic there is real good. The old brakes are beyond salvage, one is bent badly, and the other looks like it was hit with a chisel. Thanks again for all the help/ information.