Sidelights

Chris Zacho "Th

Guest
Many, many moons ago I bought these stick-on, etched metal reflectors to replace the bulky,
irritating bolt on wheel reflectors for my commuting bike. They were much brighter, formed a
distinctive two-circle shine that literally screamed "Bicycle!" to any one who saw them. At slower
speeds they even had an attention getting strobe like effect.

The fact that they weighed nothing, didn't throw my wheel out of balance on fast descents and
because they were made from etched foil (Making it easy to clean the wheels) made them in my mind
the perfect wheel safety accessory for night riding.

However, I cannot find them anymore! none of the shops seem to carry them, or anything like them.
Nor did a web search turn up anything. Other than plain (read: inferior) reflective tape, that is.

Does anybody here know of this product, or a similar knock-off, and where I may be able to
purchase it?

TIA

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:

> Many, many moons ago I bought these stick-on, etched metal reflectors to replace the bulky,
> irritating bolt on wheel reflectors for my commuting bike. They were much brighter, formed a
> distinctive two-circle shine that literally screamed "Bicycle!" to any one who saw them. At slower
> speeds they even had an attention getting strobe like effect.
>
> The fact that they weighed nothing, didn't throw my wheel out of balance on fast descents and
> because they were made from etched foil (Making it easy to clean the wheels) made them in my mind
> the perfect wheel safety accessory for night riding.
>
> However, I cannot find them anymore! none of the shops seem to carry them, or anything like them.
> Nor did a web search turn up anything. Other than plain (read: inferior) reflective tape, that is.
>
> Does anybody here know of this product, or a similar knock-off, and where I may be able to
> purchase it?

Most cycling safety authorities believe wheel reflectors are pretty useless, because they'll never
actually be seen in a position where they might avoid a collision. The exception is Scotchbrite-like
material applied to about 1/3 of the inside of the rim. This can produce a striking effect when seen
from a typical driver's eye view.

From: [email protected] (Zog=A0The=A0Undeniable)
>Most cycling safety authorities believe wheel reflectors are pretty useless, because they'll never
>actually be seen in a position where they might avoid a collision. The exception is Scotchbrite-
>like material applied to about
>1/3 of the inside of the rim. This can produce a striking effect when seen from a typical driver's
> eye view.

These are what I'm talking about! Except they are small metal foil strips with a reflective
microprism etched onto their surface,

They are spaced evenly around the rims (one between every fourth spoke on a 36 spoke rim). This
makes them visible when the wheel is approaching the source of light (car's headlights). In fact,
they are visible from _all_ angles. the only time they are hard to see is when the wheels are
parallel or perpendicular to the source. Of course, this is when the bike is passing directly in
front of the driver.

IOW, they can be seen as the cyclist approaches, not just before he's about to be run over. As is
the case with spoke reflectors.

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Forgive me. This doesn't answer your question, but...

I'm doing a fair amount of night riding myself these days. I plunked down the bucks for those little
LED bar-end lights for my wife's bike and mine. They're really cool! When riding behind her, somehow
the bar-end lights draw more attention than the flasher on the seatpost. They also define the width
of bike+rider (perhaps giving the psychopathic driver a better idea how close they can get without
actually hitting....)

http://tinyurl.com/2pf7r

I'm also thinking about buying a reflective vest, and putting together a little cluster of LED's,