sidepull caliper brakes

L33+

Oct 16, 2004
I got a bmx for xmas, a ruption hacker and on the front it has a sidepull caliper brake and it takes absolutely ages to stop.
i have tried 3 sets of pads on none of them stop.
it took me a while to adjust them so that the blocks didnt move forward under braking and hit the tyre when braking.
why are they so bad?
is it because they just need wearing in?

Is the cable adjusted properly through the device that allows the handlebar to spin at the neck. I've had trouble with those on my nephews bmx's. There is only a small amount of travel allowed through that device and if the cable has too much slack it bottoms out or binds the device before much pressure is applied at the caliper. Squeeze the lever and watch it, maybe taking up a little slack where the cable meets the caliper would improve it's function.

Not quite sure what device you mean...
the front brake cable goes through the middle of the frame:confused:
sorry im a bit of a n00b

he means the giro.. but thats for the back brakes, the front brakes dont need anytthing like that since the brakes move with the steering... and the front cable will just go straight through the steerer tube you may or may not have a giro, if you do then it will probly be a little harder to get your tear brakes to work as well as the front or if you didnt have a giro.

what sort oif brakes are they (brand? model ?)

The cable just goes straight through the giro.
dont think the brakes have a brand or model.

L33+ said:
The cable just goes straight through the giro.
dont think the brakes have a brand or model.
apparantly the front brakes are made by promax