Sidewall splits - part II

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Russell, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Russell

    Russell Guest

    A couple of weeks back I asked if & how I could fix a Conti GP3000 and a Gatorskin both with small
    sidewall splits. Well It seems I've done it. With Bison superglue. They both seem fine now (even at
    120psi) although I would't trust them for racing.

    Russell

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Russell wrote:
    > A couple of weeks back I asked if & how I could fix a Conti GP3000 and a Gatorskin both with small
    > sidewall splits. Well It seems I've done it. With Bison superglue. They both seem fine now (even
    > at 120psi) although I would't trust them for racing.

    How big were the splits again?

    Superglue can sometimes be ok for some tiny cuts but I would not risk it on major sidewall damage -
    or for ANY sidewall damage on _Conti_ tyres. May look alright now but they could come open at any
    moment whilst riding.

    I've has varying success superglueing small cuts on Vittoria Open Corsa's (130psi) - repairs towards
    edge of tread seem to work better than middle. Fortunately, the sidewalls on these are mega strong
    so hopefully I'll never suffer any of the nightmares so many Conti users have experienced.

    ~PB

  3. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Russell wrote:
    > > A couple of weeks back I asked if & how I could fix a Conti GP3000 and a Gatorskin both with
    > > small sidewall splits. Well It seems I've done it. With Bison superglue. They both seem fine now
    > > (even at 120psi) although I would't trust them for racing.
    >
    > How big were the splits again?
    >
    > Superglue can sometimes be ok for some tiny cuts but I would not risk it on major sidewall damage
    > - or for ANY sidewall damage on _Conti_ tyres. May look alright now but they could come open at
    > any moment whilst riding.
    >
    > I've has varying success superglueing small cuts on Vittoria Open Corsa's (130psi) - repairs
    > towards edge of tread seem to work better than middle. Fortunately, the sidewalls on these are
    > mega strong so hopefully I'll never suffer any of the nightmares so many Conti users have
    > experienced.
    >
    > ~PB

    I'd say they were both splits about 5 mil in length. Certainly enough to cause quite a bulge when
    the tyres were inflated to 100psi let alone 120. You really seem to have it in for Conti's - Apart
    from these latest problems I've found them to be fine.

    Russell

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Russell wrote:
    > You really seem to have it in for Conti's - Apart from these latest problems I've found them to
    > be fine.

    Of course not every user will have problems with every tyre, but look how many reports of sidewall
    failures are from Continental users. It's disproportionate.

    ~PB