Sidi Ergo carbon

peterwright

Mar 5, 2003
Does anyone have any experinece with the Sidi Ergo carbon shoe ? I know its pretty new but looks like a good shoe.

Originally posted by peterwright
Does anyone have any experience with the Sidi Ergo carbon shoe ? I know its pretty new but looks like a good shoe.

I've been using the Sidi Genius 4 (Mega) for a couple of years now, and as far as my feet are concerned, there's nothing better.

With the Ergo carbon, you have a different sole (slightly stiffer). And a different buckle, (Techno2 Evolution Buckle) which uses mono-filament (fish line). I've heard this buckle is prone to stripping out.

In my view this is a lot of marketing hype on their part as part of the next generation shoe and of course nearly twice the price... (I'll stick with the Genius 4).

Originally posted by Cipher
With the Ergo carbon, you have a different sole (slightly stiffer). And a different buckle, (Techno2 Evolution Buckle) which uses mono-filament (fish line). I've heard this buckle is prone to stripping out. In my view this is a lot of marketing hype...

I use the Sidi Energy exclusively now. I have had zero problems with the Techno2 buckles, but I take good care of my shoes.

One thing I can say about the Techno2 system is that it gives a *MUCH* more positive lock than velcro straps, and my foot feels much more securely anchored in the shoe. Since using the Techno2, I can't go back to my old Velcro shoes. They just feel cheap and sloppy by comparison.

The Sidi Energy absolutely makes the shoe feel as though it is a part of my foot.

www.mtbr.com will give you lots of opinions on the various sidi shoes, almost all of it very positive.

I've had a pair of sidi technos (the original ones) with their 1st generation of the fishline system and I only had to replace one buckle in 7 years. My current mtb shoes are sidi actions with the techno2 buckle. I don't expect performance to be any different.

One nice thing about sidi is that all of their buckles and straps are available as spares should you need replacements, and that includes for discontinued models.

I haven't riddent the ergo with the carbon sole yet, but I reckon it was created just to have a "carbon" shoe in the range for those people that think carbon is the only thing to have under your sole. Other sidis with their plastic soles are plenty stiff - you can't bend them AT ALL, so I can't see the benefit of the carbon. I don't think its any lighter either.

So I think you get better value from the lower shoes in their range like the energy or genius. If you can find a pair of shadows (discontinued now I think) then I think those are the best in the range. They have an excellent buckle system that is more accurate than velcro and less fiddly than the tecno system.

Originally posted by Ted B
I use the Sidi Energy exclusively now. I have had zero problems with the Techno2 buckles, but I take good care of my shoes.
The Sidi Energy absolutely makes the shoe feel as though it is a part of my foot.
Ive just laybyed a set of the Sidi Energys in the Lorica Blue,apart from looking awesome,the moment i tried them on it was like a glove on my foot...
Do you know what the adjustable thingy is in the sole???

Originally posted by Lasalles
Ive just laybyed a set of the Sidi Energys in the Lorica Blue,apart from looking awesome,the moment i tried them on it was like a glove on my foot...
Do you know what the adjustable thingy is in the sole???

The adjustment is for the stiffness of the sole. You'll have to play with it to find your preference. I agree these shoes feel like a glove, and I attribute part of this to the Techno buckles.

Originally posted by Ted B
The adjustment is for the stiffness of the sole. You'll have to play with it to find your preference. I agree these shoes feel like a glove, and I attribute part of this to the Techno buckles.
Yes the Sidis make my 3yo Northwaves feel like Work Boots!!!