Sidi Mega shoe sizes

Hi All,

I am looking for some new shoes. I'd like to try some Sidi Mega shoes,
and I need help determining the correct size. I need to order them from
abroad, which involves customs duties, VAT, shipping, etc. This means
that returning an incorrect size will be very costly and time
consuming. So I want to be as sure as I can I am getting the right
size. My size is not available locally, and ordering through my local
distributor would take weeks and weeks, and still might not be the
right size. So here goes:

Does anyone have any first hand experience with Sidi Mega shoes in
sizes 49, 50, and 51? Anyone with a shop have any in stock? What is the
width of the plastic sole (measured on the bottom)? What is the inside
length, measured with a tape-measure jammed into the toe?

My LBS had some size 46 and 47. The 46 had an inside length of about
28cm, and an outside sole width og 9.5cm. the 47 was about 29cm and
9.8cm. My ideal show would have an internal length of 30.5 and a sole
width of about 12cm or more. What size should I order?

Thanks!

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for some new shoes. I'd like to try some Sidi Mega shoes,
> and I need help determining the correct size. I need to order them from
> abroad, which involves customs duties, VAT, shipping, etc. This means
> that returning an incorrect size will be very costly and time
> consuming. So I want to be as sure as I can I am getting the right
> size. My size is not available locally, and ordering through my local
> distributor would take weeks and weeks, and still might not be the
> right size. So here goes:
>
> Does anyone have any first hand experience with Sidi Mega shoes in
> sizes 49, 50, and 51? Anyone with a shop have any in stock? What is the
> width of the plastic sole (measured on the bottom)? What is the inside
> length, measured with a tape-measure jammed into the toe?
>
> My LBS had some size 46 and 47. The 46 had an inside length of about
> 28cm, and an outside sole width og 9.5cm. the 47 was about 29cm and
> 9.8cm. My ideal show would have an internal length of 30.5 and a sole
> width of about 12cm or more. What size should I order?

When I had your problem, I tried on non-mega SIDIs at a bike shop (in
good faith, I might add, hoping one of them might fit - they were on
sale). Knowing which SIDI sizes were *long* enough, I then ordered some
Megas from my LBS.

The LBS wasn't a regular SIDI dealer, so he pointed out a large return
fee the SIDI distributor would charge him if I wanted a different size.
I agreed to cover the return fee if necessary. It wasn't, and six
years later the shoes are going strong.

While trying to get some data like you are doing may help, I think you
need to be open to the possibility that you'll get it wrong; you never
know for sure until you try 'em on.

Mark

Mark Janeba wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am looking for some new shoes. I'd like to try some Sidi Mega shoes,
> > and I need help determining the correct size. I need to order them from
> > abroad, which involves customs duties, VAT, shipping, etc. This means
> > that returning an incorrect size will be very costly and time
> > consuming. So I want to be as sure as I can I am getting the right
> > size. My size is not available locally, and ordering through my local
> > distributor would take weeks and weeks, and still might not be the
> > right size. So here goes:
> >
> > Does anyone have any first hand experience with Sidi Mega shoes in
> > sizes 49, 50, and 51? Anyone with a shop have any in stock? What is the
> > width of the plastic sole (measured on the bottom)? What is the inside
> > length, measured with a tape-measure jammed into the toe?
> >
> > My LBS had some size 46 and 47. The 46 had an inside length of about
> > 28cm, and an outside sole width og 9.5cm. the 47 was about 29cm and
> > 9.8cm. My ideal show would have an internal length of 30.5 and a sole
> > width of about 12cm or more. What size should I order?

> When I had your problem, I tried on non-mega SIDIs at a bike shop (in
> good faith, I might add, hoping one of them might fit - they were on
> sale). Knowing which SIDI sizes were *long* enough, I then ordered some
> Megas from my LBS.
>
> The LBS wasn't a regular SIDI dealer, so he pointed out a large return
> fee the SIDI distributor would charge him if I wanted a different size.
> I agreed to cover the return fee if necessary. It wasn't, and six
> years later the shoes are going strong.
>
> While trying to get some data like you are doing may help, I think you
> need to be open to the possibility that you'll get it wrong; you never
> know for sure until you try 'em on.

I have on occasion managed to get shoes in normal stores without
ordering. Even bike shoes, but they are few and far between. I'm
willing to pay, it's more a matter of time. I'd be happy to find some
non-megas in size 50 to try, but those are just as scarce. My problem
with going the LBS route is they need to get them from the national
distributor, who has to get them from the manufacturer. So it takes
forever. Ordering from abroad someplace goes quicker, but is
essentially a no-returns deal. I'm in a pickle.

My garage has several pair of cycling shoes, ski boots, and ice skates
of varying almost-right sizes the results of years of having to special
order things without knowing the exact size. Now that I have finally
found XC ski boots that fit I bought 2 pair. The comfort from having
shoes that fit properly makes a big difference. Time to do the same
with my cycling shoes.

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for some new shoes. I'd like to try some Sidi Mega shoes,
> and I need help determining the correct size. I need to order them from
> abroad, which involves customs duties, VAT, shipping, etc. This means
> that returning an incorrect size will be very costly and time
> consuming. So I want to be as sure as I can I am getting the right
> size. My size is not available locally, and ordering through my local
> distributor would take weeks and weeks, and still might not be the
> right size. So here goes:
>
> Does anyone have any first hand experience with Sidi Mega shoes in
> sizes 49, 50, and 51? Anyone with a shop have any in stock? What is the
> width of the plastic sole (measured on the bottom)? What is the inside
> length, measured with a tape-measure jammed into the toe?
>
> My LBS had some size 46 and 47. The 46 had an inside length of about
> 28cm, and an outside sole width og 9.5cm. the 47 was about 29cm and
> 9.8cm. My ideal show would have an internal length of 30.5 and a sole
> width of about 12cm or more. What size should I order?

I have Sidi shoes in size 50 (road) and 52 mega (MTB) and 52 (MTB). The
sole width seems to be identical between mega & regular sizes (~9.85cm
at widest). I don't think I can get a really good inside measurement.
What I can say is that my foot measures 12.5"/31.75cm, measuring from
the toe tip to the heel, where the heel location is roughly straight
down from vertical.

I found that the size 50 was too small, as my toes touch the end and get
sore on long rides, so I don't wear them any more.

The size 52's are a little long, which is fine. I have a narrow heel and
relatively low foot mass, although my toes are relatively wide (duck
feet). I bought the mega's just to wear with thick socks in the winter
although I find they work well on long rides with normal socks, although
a bit sloppy, they allow for some foot swelling. I filled some of the
extra volume with neoprene innersoles. The size 52 normal model fits
like a glove.

The conventional wisdom is (or used to be) to get shoes really tight.
That might be OK for an hour or so. If you're going to err, I'd go a
little big rather than small.

I also have a couple of pairs of Diadora's in size 51. They fit OK. I
also have Northwave's in a 50, which are OK, on the short side, but
longer than the same size in Sidi.

Peter Cole wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am looking for some new shoes. I'd like to try some Sidi Mega shoes,
> > and I need help determining the correct size. I need to order them from
> > abroad, which involves customs duties, VAT, shipping, etc. This means
> > that returning an incorrect size will be very costly and time
> > consuming. So I want to be as sure as I can I am getting the right
> > size. My size is not available locally, and ordering through my local
> > distributor would take weeks and weeks, and still might not be the
> > right size. So here goes:
> >
> > Does anyone have any first hand experience with Sidi Mega shoes in
> > sizes 49, 50, and 51? Anyone with a shop have any in stock? What is the
> > width of the plastic sole (measured on the bottom)? What is the inside
> > length, measured with a tape-measure jammed into the toe?
> >
> > My LBS had some size 46 and 47. The 46 had an inside length of about
> > 28cm, and an outside sole width og 9.5cm. the 47 was about 29cm and
> > 9.8cm. My ideal show would have an internal length of 30.5 and a sole
> > width of about 12cm or more. What size should I order?

> I have Sidi shoes in size 50 (road) and 52 mega (MTB) and 52 (MTB). The
> sole width seems to be identical between mega & regular sizes (~9.85cm
> at widest). I don't think I can get a really good inside measurement.
> What I can say is that my foot measures 12.5"/31.75cm, measuring from
> the toe tip to the heel, where the heel location is roughly straight
> down from vertical.
>
> I found that the size 50 was too small, as my toes touch the end and get
> sore on long rides, so I don't wear them any more.
>
> The size 52's are a little long, which is fine. I have a narrow heel and
> relatively low foot mass, although my toes are relatively wide (duck
> feet). I bought the mega's just to wear with thick socks in the winter
> although I find they work well on long rides with normal socks, although
> a bit sloppy, they allow for some foot swelling. I filled some of the
> extra volume with neoprene innersoles. The size 52 normal model fits
> like a glove.
>
> The conventional wisdom is (or used to be) to get shoes really tight.
> That might be OK for an hour or so. If you're going to err, I'd go a
> little big rather than small.
>
> I also have a couple of pairs of Diadora's in size 51. They fit OK. I
> also have Northwave's in a 50, which are OK, on the short side, but
> longer than the same size in Sidi.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info!

What width are your feet? Are the 50's just too short, or are they too
narrow too?

I think it sounds like I'm a 50. My feet are just about 12" (30.5cm). I
have some size 50 Diadora Geko Road that seem too narrow, and size 50
Diadora Geko MTB that are roomier, but it's hard to tell because I
don't use them as much. I like a somewhat roomy fit. As for the plastic
sole being the same, I suspected that maybe they just have roomier
uppers on the Megas. Kind of a cheap shot. My feet I think are duck
feet as yours, which means the uppers are roomy, but the outside edge
of my foot hangs over the edge of the plastic sole, and doesn't get any
support.

Your no-longer-used 50's don't feel like seeing the world do they?

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:

> I think it sounds like I'm a 50. My feet are just about 12" (30.5cm). I
> have some size 50 Diadora Geko Road that seem too narrow, and size 50
> Diadora Geko MTB that are roomier, but it's hard to tell because I
> don't use them as much. I like a somewhat roomy fit.

IME, use a roomy fit or develop some pretty severe foot problems.
Especially, toes hitting the inside end of the shoe. Bad news.

Plan B?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIDI-Genius-Lor...ryZ36127QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sell them if they don't fit (really really well). Your turnaround
(incl. resale) could be quicker than ordering a new pair via
conventional retail methods, and easily cheaper.

Yes I have purchased my own Sidis via web site,
rec.bicycle.marketplace, and ebay. Sold one pair my feet outgrew, have
three pair (1 Gen III, old/scruffy/Look, 1 Gen IV, crisp/spiffy/Look, 1
Gen IV, crisp/spiffy/SPD for Spin class), just to tell you I am a
content repeat offender. Love that Sidi-Don't-Fit discount...

Oh yeah, speaking of r.b.marketplace, how about a Wanted to Buy post
there? --D-y

Peter Cole wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am looking for some new shoes. I'd like to try some Sidi Mega shoes,
>> and I need help determining the correct size. I need to order them from
>> abroad, which involves customs duties, VAT, shipping, etc. This means
>> that returning an incorrect size will be very costly and time
>> consuming. So I want to be as sure as I can I am getting the right
>> size. My size is not available locally, and ordering through my local
>> distributor would take weeks and weeks, and still might not be the
>> right size. So here goes:
>>
>> Does anyone have any first hand experience with Sidi Mega shoes in
>> sizes 49, 50, and 51? Anyone with a shop have any in stock? What is the
>> width of the plastic sole (measured on the bottom)? What is the inside
>> length, measured with a tape-measure jammed into the toe?
>>
>> My LBS had some size 46 and 47. The 46 had an inside length of about
>> 28cm, and an outside sole width og 9.5cm. the 47 was about 29cm and
>> 9.8cm. My ideal show would have an internal length of 30.5 and a sole
>> width of about 12cm or more. What size should I order?

> I have Sidi shoes in size 50 (road) and 52 mega (MTB) and 52 (MTB). The
> sole width seems to be identical between mega & regular sizes (~9.85cm
> at widest). I don't think I can get a really good inside measurement.
> What I can say is that my foot measures 12.5"/31.75cm, measuring from
> the toe tip to the heel, where the heel location is roughly straight
> down from vertical.
>
> I found that the size 50 was too small, as my toes touch the end and get
> sore on long rides, so I don't wear them any more.
>
> The size 52's are a little long, which is fine. I have a narrow heel and
> relatively low foot mass, although my toes are relatively wide (duck
> feet). I bought the mega's just to wear with thick socks in the winter
> although I find they work well on long rides with normal socks, although
> a bit sloppy, they allow for some foot swelling. I filled some of the
> extra volume with neoprene innersoles. The size 52 normal model fits
> like a glove.
>
> The conventional wisdom is (or used to be) to get shoes really tight.
> That might be OK for an hour or so. If you're going to err, I'd go a
> little big rather than small.

I agree completely. I have excellent success sizing people this way.
The concept of tight shoes comes from old myths of power transfer.
********. Wear 'em comfy and you won't get hot foot.

> I also have a couple of pairs of Diadora's in size 51. They fit OK. I
> also have Northwave's in a 50, which are OK, on the short side, but
> longer than the same size in Sidi.

OP ... there really is no substitute for trying on shoes. I make
guestimates for my mail order customers all the time with great success,
but it's not 100%. FWIW, you can call me at Lickton's, 800 323 4083.
We ship world wide and I can most likely have your shoes in the store in
2 days if they're not on our shelves.

Robin Hubert

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2006 04:22:46 GMT, Robin Hubert <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >The concept of tight shoes comes from old myths of power transfer.
> >********. Wear 'em comfy and you won't get hot foot.

> I think it comes from the fact that leather cycling shoes tended to
> stretch a lot from how they fit when first purchased. With shoes not
> made of synthetic material, or at least having better construction to
> resist stretching, that is no longer the case.

The best shoes I ever had were a set of wooden-soled perforated leather
lace-up Duegis. The leather conformed to my foot so much it looked like
the shoes were painted on. (I also had some Tri-colore Maresis which
were pretty trick!)

Of all the modern synthetic XC ski boots and cycling shoes I've tried
on that were too small, there was ALWAYS some salesperson telling me
"it will give" and they will fit better with time. Yeah right.

Joseph

wrote:

>The concept of tight shoes comes from old myths of power transfer.
>********. Wear 'em comfy and you won't get hot foot.

I think it comes from the fact that leather cycling shoes tended to
stretch a lot from how they fit when first purchased. With shoes not
made of synthetic material, or at least having better construction to
resist stretching, that is no longer the case.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>The conventional wisdom is (or used to be) to get shoes really tight.

That was when shoes were made out of leather. Leather will stretch with age,
so a tight shoe to start would feel just right with use. New synthethic
materials don't stretch, so this no longer applies.

Alex