SIDI Shoes and Speedplay Cleat - Rattling!

projesse

Jun 6, 2004
Just got a pair of SIDI Lightning shoes to go with speedplay pedals/cleats. The Speedplay cleat mounting system uses 3 screws, the 2 on the outside left and right and the one in the center front. The fit seems good except there is the center mounting plate built into the SIDI shoe that goes unused and as a result it rattles around inside the shoe while pedaling. I would expect there is a way to take this unused piece of hardware out of the shoe since it is nothing but noisy dead-weight, but the second insole of the shoe is unremovable and glued in and there seems to be no practical way of getting to the plate from the bottom? Any ideas? I have researched the SIDI and Speedplay websites with no answers, the booklets that came with both have no explanation of this plate, and Google has led me here! Please help! Thanks.

No such problem with my Speedplay/Genius4 combination. Have you considered gluing down that loose piece? A dab of superglue might do the trick.

Mike

Originally posted by projesse
Just got a pair of SIDI Lightning shoes to go with speedplay pedals/cleats. The Speedplay cleat mounting system uses 3 screws, the 2 on the outside left and right and the one in the center front. The fit seems good except there is the center mounting plate built into the SIDI shoe that goes unused and as a result it rattles around inside the shoe while pedaling. I would expect there is a way to take this unused piece of hardware out of the shoe since it is nothing but noisy dead-weight, but the second insole of the shoe is unremovable and glued in and there seems to be no practical way of getting to the plate from the bottom? Any ideas? I have researched the SIDI and Speedplay websites with no answers, the booklets that came with both have no explanation of this plate, and Google has led me here! Please help! Thanks.

I imagine you could "wedge" something in there or glue it down, but like I said, it's dead weight and I am suprised that you cannot remove it.

I called the bike shop that we bought it from and they had the same advice, glue it or wedge something to keep it from sliding back and forth with each stroke of the pedal. The unused plate is not removable.

With the desire to make your riding setup as light as possible it seems silly that you cannot remove this piece of useless hardware. Oh well, the shoes are comfortable.

Thanks for your reply.

Originally posted by velomane
No such problem with my Speedplay/Genius4 combination. Have you considered gluing down that loose piece? A dab of superglue might do the trick.

Mike