SIDI still made in Italy?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by supergiraffe, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. supergiraffe

    supergiraffe New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    I recently purchased a pair of SIDI Genius 4 shoes to replace my faithful, but tired, old Diadoras. Somewhat conspicuous by its absence was any reference to "Made in Italy" on the new SIDIs. In fact, they don't say anywhere where they are made (the Diadoras said made in Slovenia, or something). I note this, because my wife's Sidi Veronas (basically Genius 3s for women) say "Made in Italy" everywhere -- on the bottom of the outsole, on the sockliner, underneath the sockliner, etc. The new shoes are great -- comfortable and stiff enough -- and seem very well made. However, SIDI Genius shoes are still advertised in most places as being "italian made" and the prices have gone up for 2004 rather than maintaining or going down, so it would be a little bit of a disappointment if the shoes were, in fact, not made in Italy, but somewhere like China. Anyone know the scoop on this?
     
    Tags:


  2. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > maintaining or going down, so it would be a little bit of a
    > disappointment if the shoes were, in fact, not made in Italy, but
    > somewhere like China. Anyone know the scoop on this?


    Hmm... if it works well and is comfortable, then you can just write "Made in
    Italy for supergiraffe" on the sole and be done with it.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training
     
  3. On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:54:27 +1000, supergiraffe
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > Anyone know the scoop on this?


    I don't know anything other than that I have seen good footware from
    Slovenia.

    JT
     
  4. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
    >
    > I don't know anything other than that I have seen good footware from
    > Slovenia.


    Oh, my. Perusing THOSE kinds of websites, eh? Mail-order
    fetishes...tsk-tsk.

    Bill "sorry, slow morning" S.
     
  5. Evan Evans

    Evan Evans Guest

    supergiraffe <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I recently purchased a pair of SIDI Genius 4 shoes to replace my
    > faithful, but tired, old Diadoras. Somewhat conspicuous by its absence
    > was any reference to "Made in Italy" on the new SIDIs. In fact, they
    > don't say anywhere where they are made (the Diadoras said made in
    > Slovenia, or something). I note this, because my wife's Sidi Veronas
    > (basically Genius 3s for women) say "Made in Italy" everywhere -- on
    > the bottom of the outsole, on the sockliner, underneath the sockliner,
    > etc. The new shoes are great -- comfortable and stiff enough -- and
    > seem very well made. However, SIDI Genius shoes are still advertised
    > in most places as being "italian made" and the prices have gone up for
    > 2004 rather than maintaining or going down, so it would be a little bit
    > of a disappointment if the shoes were, in fact, not made in Italy, but
    > somewhere like China. Anyone know the scoop on this?


    What's wrong with the Chinese?
     
  6. g.daniels

    g.daniels Guest

    made in naftaville
    production area for computer software
    and closed cell poly mesh
     
  7. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 29 Jul 2004 08:53:43 -0700, [email protected] (Evan Evans)
    wrote:

    >supergiraffe <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >>...so it would be a little bit
    >> of a disappointment if the shoes were, in fact, not made in Italy, but
    >> somewhere like China. Anyone know the scoop on this?

    >
    >What's wrong with the Chinese?


    Nothing intrinsically, but if a manufacturer is going to trade on the
    reputation of a certain nation as the place of origin of their goods,
    then they bloody well need to make the freaking product there or admit
    that they've slutted off to the slave pens like all the other greedy
    bastards.

    If I want $12 Chinese shoes, I can go to Wal-Mart. (In fact, I do,
    but I also have hand-made US-produced shoes as well.) If I'm spending
    $140 for a pair of Italian shoes, they'd best *be* Italian, and not
    some high-profit screw-the-workers substitute. (Yes, I know,
    Mall-Wart doesn't have cycling shoes *yet*, but if enough of a market
    for them develops, they'll have them cheaper than anyone else.)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.
     
  8. Neal

    Neal Guest

    "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 29 Jul 2004 08:53:43 -0700, [email protected] (Evan Evans)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >supergiraffe <[email protected]> wrote in

    message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >>...so it would be a little bit
    > >> of a disappointment if the shoes were, in fact, not made in Italy, but
    > >> somewhere like China. Anyone know the scoop on this?

    > >
    > >What's wrong with the Chinese?

    >
    > Nothing intrinsically, but if a manufacturer is going to trade on the
    > reputation of a certain nation as the place of origin of their goods,
    > then they bloody well need to make the freaking product there or admit
    > that they've slutted off to the slave pens like all the other greedy
    > bastards.
    >
    > If I want $12 Chinese shoes, I can go to Wal-Mart. (In fact, I do,
    > but I also have hand-made US-produced shoes as well.) If I'm spending
    > $140 for a pair of Italian shoes, they'd best *be* Italian, and not
    > some high-profit screw-the-workers substitute. (Yes, I know,
    > Mall-Wart doesn't have cycling shoes *yet*, but if enough of a market
    > for them develops, they'll have them cheaper than anyone else.)
    > --
    > Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    > Some gardening required to reply via email.
    > Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.



    Interesting article about the Italian bicycle industry in the Aug 1st. issue of
    Bicycle Retailer. It appears that the bicycle industry there is in a serious
    crisis. Sales are way down and companies are consulidating and some even going
    bankrupt. Bike production has dropped from 5.6 million units in 1994 to 2.5
    million last year. The high labor costs and the strong Euro are driving small
    companies out of business. The Italians have done what the rest of the world
    did years ago and now have many of their products produced in Taiwan and China.
    But they still put the "made in Italy" sticker on these products. I would
    think that shoes could be made much cheaper in China than in Italy. I noticed
    that Vittoria now has tires made in Taiwan. I think Campagnolo even has some of
    its parts made in China. Sad situation when you can't believe what's on a
    label.

    Neal
     
  9. >
    > Interesting article about the Italian bicycle industry in the Aug 1st.

    issue of
    > Bicycle Retailer. It appears that the bicycle industry there is in a

    serious
    > crisis. Sales are way down and companies are consulidating and some even

    going
    > bankrupt. Bike production has dropped from 5.6 million units in 1994 to

    2.5
    > million last year. The high labor costs and the strong Euro are driving

    small
    > companies out of business. The Italians have done what the rest of the

    world
    > did years ago and now have many of their products produced in Taiwan and

    China.
    > But they still put the "made in Italy" sticker on these products. I

    would
    > think that shoes could be made much cheaper in China than in Italy. I

    noticed
    > that Vittoria now has tires made in Taiwan. I think Campagnolo even has

    some of
    > its parts made in China. Sad situation when you can't believe what's on a
    > label.
    >
    > Neal
    >

    I believe the Italians paint the entire bike and then label it "Made in
    Italy". I am not sure if there is some kind of trade law at play here, or
    what is going on. IIRC, their titanium bikes have been made in Russia or
    some other place beside Italy.

    Taiwan has become the world production center for bike stuff. The rest is up
    to marketing...

    Bruce
     
  10. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Neal wrote:

    > "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>On 29 Jul 2004 08:53:43 -0700, [email protected] (Evan Evans)
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>supergiraffe <[email protected]> wrote in

    >
    > message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>>>...so it would be a little bit
    >>>>of a disappointment if the shoes were, in fact, not made in Italy, but
    >>>>somewhere like China. Anyone know the scoop on this?
    >>>

    >><snip>

    >Italians have done what the rest of the world
    > did years ago and now have many of their products produced in Taiwan and China.
    > But they still put the "made in Italy" sticker on these products. I would
    > think that shoes could be made much cheaper in China than in Italy. I noticed
    > that Vittoria now has tires made in Taiwan. I think Campagnolo even has some of
    > its parts made in China. Sad situation when you can't believe what's on a
    > label.
    >
    > Neal
    >
    >

    <pedant>
    I think Vittoria tyres are made in Thailand not Taiwan
    </pedant>

    I take your point. Many of these brands have dropped in quality since
    they outsourced their manufacture. I wont buy Vittoria anymore due to this.

    Stan Cox
     
  11. On 29 Jul 2004 08:53:43 -0700, [email protected] (Evan Evans)
    wrote:

    >supergiraffe <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I recently purchased a pair of SIDI Genius 4 shoes to replace my
    >> faithful, but tired, old Diadoras. Somewhat conspicuous by its absence
    >> was any reference to "Made in Italy" on the new SIDIs. In fact, they
    >> don't say anywhere where they are made (the Diadoras said made in
    >> Slovenia, or something). I note this, because my wife's Sidi Veronas
    >> (basically Genius 3s for women) say "Made in Italy" everywhere -- on
    >> the bottom of the outsole, on the sockliner, underneath the sockliner,
    >> etc. The new shoes are great -- comfortable and stiff enough -- and
    >> seem very well made. However, SIDI Genius shoes are still advertised
    >> in most places as being "italian made" and the prices have gone up for
    >> 2004 rather than maintaining or going down, so it would be a little bit
    >> of a disappointment if the shoes were, in fact, not made in Italy, but
    >> somewhere like China. Anyone know the scoop on this?

    >
    >What's wrong with the Chinese?


    Nothing I think. My Chinese wife has really nice Slovenian ski boots,
    and both are quite good.

    JT
     
  12. On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:01:09 GMT, Werehatrack
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > bloody.... freaking...slutted... slave...bastards.


    It's "friggin'", not "freaking."

    JT
     
  13. On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:24:46 -0400, "Neal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I noticed
    >that Vittoria now has tires made in Taiwan.


    Where has you seen that?

    I know Vittoria tires that are made in Thailand and are at least as
    good as when they were made in Italy, but I'm not aware of any made in
    Taiwan.

    JT
     
  14. On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:57:10 GMT, Stan Cox <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Many of these brands have dropped in quality since
    >they outsourced their manufacture. I wont buy Vittoria anymore due to this.


    What evidence or experience do you have of that? I used to use
    Italian Vittoria tubulars and now use the Thai ones, and see no
    difference.

    JT
     
  15. Ted

    Ted Guest

    John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:01:09 GMT, Werehatrack
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > bloody.... freaking...slutted... slave...bastards.

    >
    > It's "friggin'", not "freaking."
    >
    > JT




    No. It's "fucking". Fuck is a perfectly good word, in wide use for
    centuries.

    Stop the euphemisms.
     
  16. On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:50:06 GMT, Ted <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:01:09 GMT, Werehatrack
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > bloody.... freaking...slutted... slave...bastards.

    >>
    >> It's "friggin'", not "freaking."
    >>
    >> JT

    >
    >
    >
    >No. I



    Sorry, my joke wasn't obvious.

    JT
     
  17. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:50:06 GMT, Ted <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:01:09 GMT, Werehatrack
    >>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> bloody.... freaking...slutted... slave...bastards.
    >>>
    >>> It's "friggin'", not "freaking."
    >>>
    >>> JT

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> No. I

    >
    >
    > Sorry, my joke wasn't obvious.


    I thought it was frickin' obvious.

    Bill "slow afternoon now" S.
     
  18. On 07/29/2004 11:24 AM, in article [email protected],
    "Neal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On 29 Jul 2004 08:53:43 -0700, [email protected] (Evan Evans)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> supergiraffe <[email protected]> wrote in

    > message news:<[email protected]>...
    >>>> ...so it would be a little bit
    >>>> of a disappointment if the shoes were, in fact, not made in Italy, but
    >>>> somewhere like China. Anyone know the scoop on this?
    >>>
    >>> What's wrong with the Chinese?

    >>
    >> Nothing intrinsically, but if a manufacturer is going to trade on the
    >> reputation of a certain nation as the place of origin of their goods,
    >> then they bloody well need to make the freaking product there or admit
    >> that they've slutted off to the slave pens like all the other greedy
    >> bastards.
    >>
    >> If I want $12 Chinese shoes, I can go to Wal-Mart. (In fact, I do,
    >> but I also have hand-made US-produced shoes as well.) If I'm spending
    >> $140 for a pair of Italian shoes, they'd best *be* Italian, and not
    >> some high-profit screw-the-workers substitute. (Yes, I know,
    >> Mall-Wart doesn't have cycling shoes *yet*, but if enough of a market
    >> for them develops, they'll have them cheaper than anyone else.)
    >> --
    >> Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    >> Some gardening required to reply via email.
    >> Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

    >
    >
    > Interesting article about the Italian bicycle industry in the Aug 1st. issue
    > of
    > Bicycle Retailer. It appears that the bicycle industry there is in a serious
    > crisis. Sales are way down and companies are consulidating and some even going
    > bankrupt. Bike production has dropped from 5.6 million units in 1994 to 2.5
    > million last year. The high labor costs and the strong Euro are driving small
    > companies out of business. The Italians have done what the rest of the world
    > did years ago and now have many of their products produced in Taiwan and
    > China.
    > But they still put the "made in Italy" sticker on these products. I would
    > think that shoes could be made much cheaper in China than in Italy. I noticed
    > that Vittoria now has tires made in Taiwan. I think Campagnolo even has some
    > of
    > its parts made in China. Sad situation when you can't believe what's on a
    > label.




    In that same article you reference, it says (on page 31), "Only a handful of
    companies, Campagnolo among them, remain committed to producing all their
    products in Italy."



    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com
    veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
    bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
    ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti ay aitch
    aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
    double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash
     
  19. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    Stan Cox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > >

    > <pedant>
    > I think Vittoria tyres are made in Thailand not Taiwan
    > </pedant>
    >
    > I take your point. Many of these brands have dropped in quality since
    > they outsourced their manufacture. I wont buy Vittoria anymore due to this.


    And what are you going to buy? Vredenstein? They are all made in
    Asia now. Conti? Most are made in Asia. Basically, the
    manufacturing of most tires has moved to places like Taiwan, Thailand,
    etc. Why punish Vittoria for what everyone else has done, and is
    doing?

    - rick
     
  20. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    >
    > If I want $12 Chinese shoes, I can go to Wal-Mart.


    Or you can go to any sports store and buy Nike's for outrageous
    prices. Made for cheap in Asia does not necessarily equate to
    inexpensive for the consumer.

    - rick
     
Loading...
Loading...