SIDI vs. Giro

dayviebone

Jul 22, 2010
I'm looking into buying a pair of road shoes and I'm looking at the Giro Factor and the Sidi Genius 6.6's and am wondering if anyone out there that wears Sidis in their Mega size could help me out. I have a slightly wider foot and wear an EE in athletic shoes and was wondering if the Mega size would be more accommodating to my foot. I wear a 45.5 in Pearl Izumis and a 46 in Shimano but both of those really squeeze my toe box, especially when standing on the pedals. So I was thinking a size 46 Mega in Sidi or the Factor since it supposedly can handle a wider foot. Any thoughts? Thanks!

The Sidi mega is wider than any other cycling shoe I have tried, and as far as I know the only cycling shoe manufacturer that specifically makes a wider size (I could be wrong). Some bike shops may tell you a certain shoe is better for wider feet but if you sport a EE or EEE that 's usually a nonsense solution. I have a 9EEE and use the Genius 5 mega in a 43.5. I only wish they made some of their cool non-standard color shoes in the mega.

Reactions: dayviebone
You need to factor more than just the width of your foot. The shape foot and how it gets on with either Sidi's or Giro's last is going to be a huge factor. You really need to try cycling shoes on. I've got wide feet, and Sidi's for me are like cruel shoes.

What shoes do you wear alienator? My problem is that I have no where remotely close that sells either brand.

I don't have the wide version, but the last on Specialized shoes is made for American feet which tend to require a wider last and larger toe box than the Euro shoes have. Note the "tend."

The only brand that might fit your double-E's in a standard width might be Northwave. They run wide, but they taper to a rather narrow toebox.

I'm about a D+ and in need of a wide toe box. My new standard width Bonts fit me perfectly, and.they are available in wide.

Originally Posted by alienator .

I've got wide feet, and Sidi's for me are like cruel shoes.
Go figure, and yes a lot goes into getting just the right fit. I happened to luck out with cycling shoes a long time ago, regular shoes not so well. I really do like the Specialized shoes and did not know they had a wide version.

I was thinking with the varus wedge on the S-Works, don't your feet slide to the outside of the shoe when you stand?

close.gif
Read more >> Options >>
#dym_varus{display:none;} #comma_varus{display:none;} Match: varus and others.

© Houghton Mifflin Company

Copyright © 2012 Answers Corporation. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy IP Notices Disclaimer

With the varus wedge, do experience any foot slippage towards the outside of the shoes when standing?

Originally Posted by dayviebone .

With the varus wedge, do experience any foot slippage towards the outside of the shoes when standing?
I don't, but the bottom of my feet don't have the same angle w/ my legs that the average person has. After a few injuries and subsequent issues with foot pain in my shoes, I had my feet scanned at Footfitting, which is now eSoles. They made a custom pair of footbeds for me, that include the proper varus wedge for one foot and valgus wedge for the other. As such, I use Specialized wedges (plastic shims that go under the footbeds) to null the varus wedge built into Specialized shoes.

Specialized have a 1.5mm varus wedge, which means inside edge of their lasts is 1.5mm higher than the outside. According to the doc that did the research upon which Specialized's lasts are designed, the average person has about 1.5mm of varus wedge. The varus wedge does not cause the foot to slip, but for people with about 1.5mm of varus wedge, it distributes the pressure generated when pedaling more evenly across the bottom of the foot. The wedge isn't so much that your foot will slip. 1.5mm of wedge on the last only creates an angle of about 0.85°. If you're foot doesn't get on with the inbuilt varus wedge, Specialized make shims (as I mentioned above) that you can use to null that wedge or to introduce valgus wedge or more varus wedge. Most folks I know have zero issues with the inbuilt wedge. FWIW, I believe the Specialized wedge kit gives you the ability to change their wedge by 3mm. So, you can go from 4.5mm of varus wedge to -1.5mm of valgus wedge.

What you might feel if your foot isn't enjoying the angle of a given last is foot pain localized on the bottom of the foot on either the medial or lateral sides of the sole of your foot. You might get numbness, and you also might get knee pain. Again, most people don't have an issue. Mine was an odd cause, that was either caused by genetic luck, traumatic remodeling of my feet and legs, or both.

Reactions: dayviebone