"Jay" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Has anyone on the group been here?
I remember there was an article about it in Trail magazine a year or so
ago.
The Gredos national park is about 80km outside Madrid and reaches a height
of about 2.5km. Beyond that I know very little.
I've been to the Sierra de Guadarrama, which is the next set of mountains on
from the Gredos (I actually stayed more or less between the two sets of
hills).
It was late August and I got up Peñalara (2428m) and other 2200m+ peaks. It
was 30C down at 900m where I was staying, but absolutely freezing on top
with a wind howling over the land from the north (real lean into it and
shout into ears to make yourself heard type wind, not a stiff breeze). I
think this was a feature of being able to see forever to the north rather
than a feature of the altitude. No snow or ice at all visible. Beautiful
visibility the whole time I was there. It only got worse than shirt /
trousers weather once above 2000m. I managed with a waterproof jacket and a
100 weight fleece, but I would not have liked to hang around at that
temperature (and I normally suffer from being too hot when walking).
Maps were another issue. Don't start me on Spanish maps...
Gredos is a bit further from both the airport and Madrid, so if I had the
chance I would take Guadarrama over Gredos.
Have fun,
Paul