Siezed bottom bracket in titanium frame!



lloydhowse

New Member
Nov 21, 2004
1
0
0
The aluminum cup has been stripped where the tool inserts into my Record Bottom Bracket. The frame is a Holland titanium, I really want to salvage it. Any helpful hints out there on how to get the bb out?
Lloyd
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
lloydhowse said:
The aluminum cup has been stripped where the tool inserts into my Record Bottom Bracket. The frame is a Holland titanium, I really want to salvage it. Any helpful hints out there on how to get the bb out?
Lloyd
If you can get the left cup out, the cartridge can be tapped out of the right cup and then the right one can be carefully dremeled or hacksawed into a few pieces and pried out. You could also try a bolt and some washers to lock the removal tool into the remains of the BB to try turning it.
 

gubaguba

New Member
Aug 7, 2003
170
0
0
I have heard that ammonia will breack down the oxidation in some cases and allow you to remove it. You might be able to flood it via the seat tube. Were you able to remove one side of the BB or are both sides stripped out? Old school BB were removed with a different tool. The cup had two wholes that were opposite each other the key was then inserted into those and turned. You could try getting one of those and drill two wholes into you BB.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
gubaguba said:
Old school BB were removed with a different tool. The cup had two wholes that were opposite each other the key was then inserted into those and turned. You could try getting one of those and drill two wholes into you BB.
No, NO and NO!
 

JohnO

New Member
Jul 5, 2003
1,495
0
0
I believe ammonia can be corrosive to Ti. Chlorine definitely is. If the frame is worth serious money, it is probably time to find some serious expertise.

gubaguba said:
I have heard that ammonia will breack down the oxidation in some cases and allow you to remove it. You might be able to flood it via the seat tube. Were you able to remove one side of the BB or are both sides stripped out? Old school BB were removed with a different tool. The cup had two wholes that were opposite each other the key was then inserted into those and turned. You could try getting one of those and drill two wholes into you BB.