*sigh*

dude

Guest
Not a biggie in the scheme of things, but just tedious, annoying and
depressing...

....to simply be cycling along, causing an oncoming P plater* to have to delay
his right-hand turn for possibly two nano-seconds, to hear him shout 'F*ckin'
cyclist' out his open window for absolutely no reason.

We have a long way to go (in Sydney) to be a cyclist-friendly city.

* c. 17 y.o. with a gang of 'tough' mates in the car, whom he perhaps hopes to
impress.

"dude" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Not a biggie in the scheme of things, but just tedious, annoying and
> depressing...
>
> ...to simply be cycling along, causing an oncoming P plater* to have to

delay
> his right-hand turn for possibly two nano-seconds, to hear him shout

'F*ckin'
> cyclist' out his open window for absolutely no reason.
>
> We have a long way to go (in Sydney) to be a cyclist-friendly city.
>

> * c. 17 y.o. with a gang of 'tough' mates in the car, whom he perhaps

hopes to
> impress.

That's covered in the learners theory test.

Q. What do you do if you see a cyclist on the road.

A. Throw something at the cyclist as you drive past.

B. Yell abuse at the cyclist.

C. Drive as close as possible to the cyclist even though the road is clear
of all other traffic.

D. All of the above.

Marty

Dude wrote:
> * c. 17 y.o. with a gang of 'tough' mates in the car, whom he perhaps
> hopes to impress.

What a twunt! May the fleas of a hundred hairy gorillas invade his
armpits and may all females totally ignore him and his "mates".

--

cfsmtb wrote:
> Dude wrote:
> > * c. 17 y.o. with a gang of 'tough' mates in the car, whom he perhaps
> > hopes to impress.

> What a twunt! May the fleas of a hundred hairy gorillas invade his
> armpits and may all females totally ignore him and his "mates".

And may he need Canesten and Am-o-lin Baby Cream for reasons completely
unrelated to cycling! ;-P

"dude" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Not a biggie in the scheme of things, but just tedious, annoying and
> depressing...
>
> ...to simply be cycling along, causing an oncoming P plater* to have to

delay
> his right-hand turn for possibly two nano-seconds, to hear him shout

'F*ckin'
> cyclist' out his open window for absolutely no reason.
>
> We have a long way to go (in Sydney) to be a cyclist-friendly city.
>

> * c. 17 y.o. with a gang of 'tough' mates in the car, whom he perhaps

hopes to
> impress.

Hope you waved to him and said G'day.
I love doing that and it gets them soooooo frustrated. Even had them do it
again just to get their point across, and of course, they got another wave
which judging by the reaction ****** him off like you wouldn't believe.

I even know of a friend who did that and the motorist came back with "I was
yelling at you ********!", to which he got another polite wave and a smile.

Give em a wave and a smile rather than come down to their level, after all,
they are just motorists.

: Hope you waved to him and said G'day.
: I love doing that and it gets them soooooo frustrated. Even had them do it
: again just to get their point across, and of course, they got another wave
: which judging by the reaction ****** him off like you wouldn't believe.

Nice! I'll definitely try that next time!

Greetings,
Try living in Melbourne, it's just as bad. I get morons
like that every other week. It could be worse, they could in a truck, I
have had a number of cases of that.
Regards,
Ray.

Ray Peace wrote:
> Greetings, Try living in Melbourne, it's just as bad. I get morons like
> that every other week. It could be worse, they could in a truck, I have
> had a number of cases of that. Regards, Ray.

Most truckies are professionals. They realise that if they lose their
license, they are out of a job. They can't afford the paperwork hassle
of even one copper sniffing around. It looks bad in front of their
mates, and the boss.

They drive their trucks all day, and are mostly proud of what they do.
They know the limits of its manoueverability, and only occasionally get
the passing thing wrong, as anyone would do if you were piloting
something 20 metres long.

Agression seems to be confined to those that have a deadline to meet, or
who haven't done many miles. Even so, it's rare to see a big rig
blatantly run a red, or ignore a left turn give way, as long as on the
bike, you're visible. Most give you enough leeway on the right, but on a
highway at 100km/h, this can seem to us to be a bit scary. One old
truckie said to me that once you've been involved in an accident, mainly
with a car, where someone has been badly injured or killed, and you have
little chance of being hurt, you keep that with you for the rest of your
life, and it makes you careful, he said. Because it's the only thing
most know how to do for money, and not very much of it at that.

17 - 25 y.o. 's, girls and boys in cars are much more of a menace, 'coz
they haven't had the sobering, real life experience of being involved in
a life-threatening driving situation, no matter how many times they've
watched "Fast and Furious" and all the rest of the Hollywood **** that
glamorises car chase violence where heroes walk away with, at most, a
smudged face and mussed-up hair.

M "Violent Car **** Abolitionist" H

--

Maybe these people have a legitimate reason for hating cyclists. i.e
they are against drugs in sport. ;)

After all that seems to be only impression that Australian mainstream
media ever portray.

--

Paul J wrote:
> Maybe these people have a legitimate reason for hating cyclists. i.e
> they are against drugs in sport. ;)
> After all that seems to be only impression that Australian mainstream
> media ever portray.

Whilst sucking down as much caffeine, nicotine and sugar as they can get
their hands on.

Why do they hate your average, poor commuter cyclist so much, whose only
competition is to see if they can get to the top of their big hill
without hurting too much, or getting to work on time?

I think those drug cheats should be banned from the sport of life,
because it f*%$s up their attention spans, their patience and fellow-
feeling, because they want to live life at top speed all the time.

M "Shitheads in shitboxes should be put where they belong, in the
shitpile" H

--

Dude> : Hope you waved to him and said G'day. : I love doing that
Dude> and it gets them soooooo frustrated. Even had them do it :
Dude> again just to get their point across, and of course, they got
Dude> another wave : which judging by the reaction ****** him off
Dude> like you wouldn't believe.

Dude> Nice! I'll definitely try that next time!

Works for me. Was chatting to a guy way more experienced at the
commuting lark then me a few months ago and he said something along the
lines of:

"You'll never win an argument with them so you might as well let
them know that you actually *enjoy* your daily commute"

My stress levels plummeted :)
--
Regards
Euan