*Sigh*

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Appkiller, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    Well, so I get my new Record Ergos the other day - bought a
    used foco frame offa ebay and couldn't resist getting a pair
    of the new Campy's because I found such a good deal on them.
    Less than $250 including a campy cable set - that's the
    equivalent of $80+ off the price of both items and things I
    would be needing. I had been thinking of the Chorus aluminum
    Ergos - I have seen them for $180 online but this was too
    good to pass on.

    So I bid, I win, I get 'em. A coupla days later I am poking
    at them and I figure I would put them on the handlebar. Try
    to peel the hood back - kinda stiff compared to my other
    ergos (this is my third pair) but I start to stretch the
    cover around the thumb lever and it tears. Huh?!! SHIT!!!
    Damn. the narrow part of the cover tore right through.

    I sat there for a minute, numb and hoping it had been some
    sort of visual trick and that the cover wasn't actually
    trashed. I have removed and replaced a set of covers before
    and rolled back covers many times to attach, remove, and
    adjust my ergos - this can't have happened. F***!!!!!
    Definitely torn.

    I have yet to leave feedback for the guy and I am hoping
    that as an on-line dealer (albeit on ebay) rather than just
    some guy, he will be interested in satisfied customers. I
    also hope he will see that given my experience with ergos
    that I didn't tear the cover because I am some idiot, but it
    tore because it was either damaged during assembly or faulty
    from the get-go.

    I could go right to Campy but I have heard that service is
    horrifically slow.

    Oh, yeah, the kicker is that this dude is in Ireland. I
    guess I will have to work both ends and see who comes
    through first. But if I gotta send 'em back to Campy it's
    gonna suck. Okay, it'll suck worse to work an exchange with
    someone in Europe.

    I know someone is gonna say it - reason #1 why a good lbs is
    priceless.

    Oh, well.

    App, who is staring dejectedly at his once perfect ergos.

    Tags:

  2. Flatline

    Flatline Guest

    You may be able to find Campy replacement covers
    somewhere, if you don't get any response from the seller.
    There are covers around for Shimano. It's kind of tricky
    putting them on.

    r.b.

  3. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    Or a little duct tape will fix it right up!

  4. [email protected] (flatline) wrote in news:4336e7a8.0403121142.6f26e1c5
    @posting.google.com:

    > You may be able to find Campy replacement covers
    > somewhere, if you don't get any response from the seller.

    I bought a right one a while ago and it cost $17cdn so not
    too expensive given it was 5 years old.

  5. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    [email protected] (flatline) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > You may be able to find Campy replacement covers
    > somewhere, if you don't get any response from the seller.
    > There are covers around for Shimano. It's kind of tricky
    > putting them on.
    >
    > r.b.

    Yah, I can get 'em, locally, on-line and catalog - and
    you're right - they aren't so easy to get on - gotta take
    off the brake and shift blade and that means taking the
    whole thing apart which I have done before but I would
    rather do a full rebuild on a used lever than have to do it
    to a new one.

    But, there is a glimmer of hope - the dude says he'll look
    into it. At least I might not have to pay for the cover as a
    pair (and they have to be bought in pairs) costs about $25.

    I'll keep the rec posted 'cuz if this guy comes through for
    me I'll sing his praises. Nice to know who the good ones are
    when you're hunting bargains.

    App, who isn't so dejected anymore.

  6. Len

    Len Guest

    "Appkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, so I get my new Record Ergos the other day - bought
    > a used foco frame offa ebay and couldn't resist getting a
    > pair of the new Campy's because I found such a good deal
    > on them. Less than $250 including a campy cable set -
    > that's the equivalent of $80+ off the price of both items
    > and things I would be needing. I had been thinking of the
    > Chorus aluminum Ergos - I have seen them for $180 online
    > but this was too good to pass on.
    >
    > So I bid, I win, I get 'em. A coupla days later I am
    > poking at them and I figure I would put them on the
    > handlebar. Try to peel the hood back - kinda stiff
    > compared to my other ergos (this is my third pair) but I
    > start to stretch the cover around the thumb lever and it
    > tears. Huh?!! SHIT!!! Damn. the narrow part of the cover
    > tore right through.
    >
    > I sat there for a minute, numb and hoping it had been some
    > sort of visual trick and that the cover wasn't actually
    > trashed. I have removed and replaced a set of covers
    > before and rolled back covers many times to attach,
    > remove, and adjust my ergos - this can't have happened.
    > F***!!!!! Definitely torn.
    >
    > I have yet to leave feedback for the guy and I am hoping
    > that as an on-line dealer (albeit on ebay) rather than
    > just some guy, he will be interested in satisfied
    > customers. I also hope he will see that given my
    > experience with ergos that I didn't tear the cover because
    > I am some idiot, but it tore because it was either damaged
    > during assembly or faulty from the get-go.
    >
    > I could go right to Campy but I have heard that service is
    > horrifically slow.
    >
    > Oh, yeah, the kicker is that this dude is in Ireland. I
    > guess I will have to work both ends and see who comes
    > through first. But if I gotta send 'em back to Campy it's
    > gonna suck. Okay, it'll suck worse to work an exchange
    > with someone in Europe.
    >
    > I know someone is gonna say it - reason #1 why a good lbs
    > is priceless.
    >
    > Oh, well.
    >
    > App, who is staring dejectedly at his once perfect ergos.

    Pete can get you some new ones @ http://www.vecchios.com/
    for not too
    much money, around where I live, its best to use the net for
    campagnolo. Len