*sigh*

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Dude, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Dude

    Dude Guest

    Not a biggie in the scheme of things, but just tedious,
    annoying and depressing...

    ...to simply be cycling along, causing an oncoming P plater*
    to have to delay his right-hand turn for possibly two nano-
    seconds, to hear him shout 'F*ckin' cyclist' out his open
    window for absolutely no reason.

    We have a long way to go (in Sydney) to be a cyclist-
    friendly city.

    * c. 17 y.o. with a gang of 'tough' mates in the car, whom
    he perhaps hopes to impress.

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    What a twunt! May the fleas of a hundred hairy gorillas invade his armpits and may all females totally ignore him and his "mates".

  3. "dude" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Not a biggie in the scheme of things, but just tedious,
    > annoying and depressing...
    >
    > ...to simply be cycling along, causing an oncoming P
    > plater* to have to
    delay
    > his right-hand turn for possibly two nano-seconds, to hear
    > him shout
    'F*ckin'
    > cyclist' out his open window for absolutely no reason.
    >
    > We have a long way to go (in Sydney) to be a cyclist-
    > friendly city.
    >

    > * c. 17 y.o. with a gang of 'tough' mates in the car, whom
    > he perhaps
    hopes to
    > impress.

    That's covered in the learners theory test.

    Q. What do you do if you see a cyclist on the road.

    R. Throw something at the cyclist as you drive past.

    S. Yell abuse at the cyclist.

    T. Drive as close as possible to the cyclist even though the
    road is clear of all other traffic.

    U. All of the above.

    Marty

  4. Fred Nieman

    Fred Nieman Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > Dude wrote:
    > > * c. 17 y.o. with a gang of 'tough' mates in the car,
    > > whom he perhaps hopes to impress.
    >

    > What a twunt! May the fleas of a hundred hairy gorillas
    > invade his armpits and may all females totally ignore him
    > and his "mates".

    And may he need Canesten and Am-o-lin Baby Cream for reasons
    completely unrelated to cycling! ;-P

  5. "dude" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Not a biggie in the scheme of things, but just tedious,
    > annoying and depressing...
    >
    > ...to simply be cycling along, causing an oncoming P
    > plater* to have to
    delay
    > his right-hand turn for possibly two nano-seconds, to hear
    > him shout
    'F*ckin'
    > cyclist' out his open window for absolutely no reason.
    >
    > We have a long way to go (in Sydney) to be a cyclist-
    > friendly city.
    >

    > * c. 17 y.o. with a gang of 'tough' mates in the car, whom
    > he perhaps
    hopes to
    > impress.

    Hope you waved to him and said G'day. I love doing that and
    it gets them soooooo frustrated. Even had them do it again
    just to get their point across, and of course, they got
    another wave which judging by the reaction pissed him off
    like you wouldn't believe.

    I even know of a friend who did that and the motorist came
    back with "I was yelling at you dickhead!", to which he got
    another polite wave and a smile.

    Give em a wave and a smile rather than come down to their
    level, after all, they are just motorists.

  6. Dude

    Dude Guest

    Hope you waved to him and said G'day.
    : I love doing that and it gets them soooooo frustrated.
    : Even had them do it again just to get their point across,
    : and of course, they got another wave which judging by the
    : reaction pissed him off like you wouldn't believe.

    Nice! I'll definitely try that next time!

  7. Eb

    Eb Guest

    Dude> : Hope you waved to him and said G'day. : I love
    Dude> : doing that
    Dude> and it gets them soooooo frustrated. Even had them
    Dude> do it : again just to get their point across, and
    Dude> of course, they got another wave : which judging
    Dude> by the reaction pissed him off like you wouldn't
    Dude> believe.

    Dude> Nice! I'll definitely try that next time!

    Works for me. Was chatting to a guy way more experienced at
    the commuting lark then me a few months ago and he said
    something along the lines of:

    "You'll never win an argument with them so you might
    as well let them know that you actually *enjoy* your
    daily commute"

    My stress levels plummeted :)
    --
    Regards Euan

  8. Ray Peace

    Ray Peace Guest

    Greetings, Try living in Melbourne, it's just as bad. I get
    morons like that every other week. It could be worse, they
    could in a truck, I have had a number of cases of that.
    Regards, Ray.

    dude wrote:

    >Not a biggie in the scheme of things, but just tedious,
    >annoying and depressing...
    >
    >....to simply be cycling along, causing an oncoming P
    >plater* to have to delay his right-hand turn for possibly
    >two nano-seconds, to hear him shout 'F*ckin' cyclist' out
    >his open window for absolutely no reason.
    >
    >We have a long way to go (in Sydney) to be a cyclist-
    >friendly city.
    >

    >* c. 17 y.o. with a gang of 'tough' mates in the car, whom
    > he perhaps hopes to impress.

  9. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004

    Most truckies are professionals. They realise that if they lose their license, they are out of a job. They can't afford the paperwork hassle of even one copper sniffing around. It looks bad in front of their mates, and the boss.

    They drive their trucks all day, and are mostly proud of what they do. They know the limits of its manoueverability, and only occasionally get the passing thing wrong, as anyone would do if you were piloting something 20 metres long.

    Agression seems to be confined to those that have a deadline to meet, or who haven't done many miles. Even so, it's rare to see a big rig blatantly run a red, or ignore a left turn give way, as long as on the bike, you're visible. Most give you enough leeway on the right, but on a highway at 100km/h, this can seem to us to be a bit scary. One old truckie said to me that once you've been involved in an accident, mainly with a car, where someone has been badly injured or killed, and you have little chance of being hurt, you keep that with you for the rest of your life, and it makes you careful, he said. Because it's the only thing most know how to do for money, and not very much of it at that.

    17 - 25 y.o. 's, girls and boys in cars are much more of a menace, 'coz they haven't had the sobering, real life experience of being involved in a life-threatening driving situation, no matter how many times they've watched "Fast and Furious" and all the rest of the Hollywood crap that glamorises car chase violence where heroes walk away with, at most, a smudged face and mussed-up hair.

    M "Violent Car Porn Abolitionist" H

  10. Paul J

    Paul J New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Maybe these people have a legitimate reason for hating cyclists. i.e they are against drugs in sport. ;)

    After all that seems to be only impression that Australian mainstream media ever portray.

  11. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Whilst sucking down as much caffeine, nicotine and sugar as they can get their hands on.

    Why do they hate your average, poor commuter cyclist so much, whose only competition is to see if they can get to the top of their big hill without hurting too much, or getting to work on time?

    I think those drug cheats should be banned from the sport of life, because it f*%$s up their attention spans, their patience and fellow-feeling, because they want to live life at top speed all the time.

    M "Shitheads in shitboxes should be put where they belong, in the shitpile" H