Sigma 1600 problem

Bluenose

Guest
I have a Sigma 1600 bike computer. Over all it works pretty well but I've been having some trouble
with the sensor. Sometimes it gets knocked and won't register anymore. You'd think it would be
simple to fix (or I
did) but it seems to be very very picky and after 30 mins of trying (fiddling around) I've not been
able to get register again! Very frustrating.

Would anyone have any handy hints on what I could be doing wrong with what should be a very simple
procedure?

Thanks in advance

"Bluenose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a Sigma 1600 bike computer. Over all it works pretty well but I've been having some trouble
> with the sensor. Sometimes it gets knocked and won't register anymore. You'd think it would be
> simple to fix (or I
> did) but it seems to be very very picky and after 30 mins of trying (fiddling around) I've not
> been able to get register again! Very frustrating.
>
> Would anyone have any handy hints on what I could be doing wrong with what should be a very simple
> procedure?
>
> Thanks in advance

First question: how're your batteries? My wireless senders seem to eat batteries... Second q: have
you tried re-setting both ends? Push the little blue buttons for about 2 sec to reset. Third q: you
nudge the computer off its mount?

Start there. email back if you're still having problems.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

1. Brand new batteries (well 3 months old anyway)
2. I've clicked and reclicked my computer on and off it's mount just to make sure it's connected
correctly.
3. Wireless sensors? Mine isn't wireless...unless I'm confused and have the 1200? (Sorry it's been
one of those days today)

I'll try resetting it as you suggested......but I'm wondering if that would be the problem as my
cadence is working fine.....it doesn't appear to be picking up the sensor on the front wheel ie no
speed, no ride time etc.

Thanks again Mike.

Bluenose wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for responding so quickly.
>
> 1. Brand new batteries (well 3 months old anyway)
> 2. I've clicked and reclicked my computer on and off it's mount just to make sure it's connected
> correctly.
> 3. Wireless sensors? Mine isn't wireless...unless I'm confused and have the 1200? (Sorry it's been
> one of those days today)
>
> I'll try resetting it as you suggested......but I'm wondering if that would be the problem as my
> cadence is working fine.....it doesn't appear to be picking up the sensor on the front wheel ie no
> speed, no ride time etc.

You might have a broken wire inside the handlebar mounting ring for the computer. I tend to break
mine when i start messing around with the brake cable outers (done it 3 times now). You can
carefully prise apart the halves of the ring where the cable enters and see if the wires are
connected to the contacts or not.

If that's where the problem is and you start soldering the wires back onto the contacts, just
remember to limit how much you heat - the contacts can get hot enough so the mounting ring starts
losing shape.

Another little diagnostic trick you can play is to see if the problem lies in the wheel sensor or
its wire - or not.

. Get someone to lift the back wheel off the ground, or use a trainer.

1. Disconnect the cadence sensor wires from the mounting ring

2. Remove the computer from the mount and hold it in your hand. Hold the cadence sensor wires
against the *lower* two terminals of the computer (yes, the ones that would normally pick up the
*wheel* speed)

3. With your foot, make the left crank pass back and forth rapidly across the cadence sensor. The
idea is to give the computer the impression that the wheel is moving, when in fact you are
triggering the crank.

You should get a wheel speed on the computer. If so, then either your wheel sensor or its wire (or
connection to terminals on the mounting ring) are broken. If not, there's a chance that you have a
fault inside the cycle computer itself.

Hope that helps.

/Robert