Sigma computer problem

Bluenose

Guest
Hi,

I have a Sigma 1600 bike computer. Over all it works pretty well but I've been having some trouble
with the sensor. Sometimes it gets knocked and won't register anymore. You'd think it would be
simple to fix (or I
did) but it seems to be very very picky and after 30 mins of trying (fiddling around) I've not been
able to get register again! Very frustrating.

Would anyone have any handy hints on what I could be doing wrong with what should be a very simple
procedure?

Thanks in advance

Try to get sensor and the thing on the fork (forgot the name) as close as possible without them hitting.

"Bluenose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Sigma 1600 bike computer. Over all it works pretty well but I've been having some trouble
> with the sensor. Sometimes it gets knocked and won't register anymore. You'd think it would be
> simple to fix (or I
> did) but it seems to be very very picky and after 30 mins of trying (fiddling around) I've not
> been able to get register again! Very frustrating.
>
> Would anyone have any handy hints on what I could be doing wrong with what should be a very simple
> procedure?
>
> Thanks in advance
you have the manual?? I guess you do, but here it is anyway 5mm gap max
http://www.sigmasport.com/media/produkte/bikecomputer/bc1600/x_bc1600.pdf best of luck stu

Bluenose:

Further to other's comments, you need to check first whether the problem is with the gap between the sensor and the magnet. To do this, you can remove the magnet from the spoke and wave it close to the sensor to see whether computer registers anything. If yes, you need to decrease the gap between the two piece as much as possible. You may need trying different parts of the fork/stays to find the optimal spot. If necessary, you may need to stack something underneath the sensor to raise it further out.

If you don't get a signal when you bring the magnet near the sensor (in the first test), then the problem is likely to be with the hardware. It could be a broken line, broken sensor, bad contacts between the head unit and its mount (Sigmas are notorious for their failure due to the "press and turn" mounting) or even a faulty head unit. In these cases, the warranty could help if there is no sign of abuse.

I bought a BC1200 about 2 months ago, and it went crazy after 10 days. I had to return it.

Good Luck!
Amir.

Originally posted by Bluenose

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:10:03 +0000, amirm wrote:

> I bought a BC1200 about 2 months ago, and it went crazy after 10 days. I had to return it.

Just to proove that if your sample size if big enough you'll get every sort of opinion:

We've had two of these computers (on 2 bikes) and apart from having to clean the contacts after
stuffing the 'head' into a sweaty glove for a week, had no trouble what-so-ever.

I'm a big fan of pulling the magnet off the wheel and waving it near the sensor. This tends to solve
all the computer problems I've seen, oh and replacing the battery.

-kt

Mine had a problem with its buttons. Once the problem showed up, computer started to rest itself over and over and over. And the mode button worked intermittently. Computer was not subjected to bad weather or any harsh use yet. Removing and playing with the mount didn't help.

One bad experience was enough for me! Does Sigma give me a loyalty fee to buy my opinion? I think not. :)

Originally posted by Kingsley