Sigma RDS wireless mount stupidness

Zeeexsixare

Guest
So how do you move a Sigma RDS wireless mount from one
bike to the next?!?!? They use zip-ties so that it's
permanently anchored to the bike... how do they expect you
to switch bikes?

Has anyone figured out a rubber-band solution?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

In article <[email protected]>,
"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote:

> So how do you move a Sigma RDS wireless mount from one
> bike to the next?!?!? They use zip-ties so that it's
> permanently anchored to the bike... how do they expect you
> to switch bikes?
>
> Has anyone figured out a rubber-band solution?

Zip ties? Like every other computer on the planet?

Step 1: cut zip ties with diagonal cutter. Be careful not to
nick the fork.

Step 2: put new zip ties on, and attach mount to the new
bike. These are available in multi-packs from a wide variety
of stores, but a big-box hardware store will probably be
able to sell you a lifetime quantity for several bucks.

Step 3: there is no step three.

Zip ties are single-use,
--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected]
http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/ President, Fabrizio

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> So how do you move a Sigma RDS wireless mount from one
>> bike to the next?!?!? They use zip-ties so that it's
>> permanently anchored to the bike... how do they expect
>> you to switch bikes?
>>
>> Has anyone figured out a rubber-band solution?
>
> Zip ties? Like every other computer on the planet?
>
> Step 1: cut zip ties with diagonal cutter. Be careful not
> to nick the fork.
>
> Step 2: put new zip ties on, and attach mount to the new
> bike. These are available in multi-packs from a wide
> variety of stores, but a big-box hardware store will
> probably be able to sell you a lifetime quantity for
> several bucks.
>
> Step 3: there is no step three.
>
> Zip ties are single-use,

I'm assuming you don't have one of these then. It's
close to impossible to get the old zip-tie out of the
mount. If my digital camera worked, I'd take a pic to
show you what I meant.

These are some weirdass size of zip-tie... I have about 6
different varieties on hand, and none of them fit. Some are
too large to fit in the recess, some don't have long-enough
lengths... bah!

I'm going to go with my friend's suggestion of using a pin
to disengage the zip-tie mount, once I figure out how to get
the old zip-tie out.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > So how do you move a Sigma RDS wireless mount from one
> > bike to the next?!?!? They use zip-ties so that it's
> > permanently anchored to the bike... how do they expect
> > you to switch bikes?
> >
> > Has anyone figured out a rubber-band solution?
>
> Zip ties? Like every other computer on the planet?

Well not quite. Sigma Sports rely (mostly) on elastic
bands, which
(i) simplifies installation and (ii) makes it easy to move
them around.

> Step 1: cut zip ties with diagonal cutter. Be careful not
> to nick the fork.
>
> Step 2: put new zip ties on, and attach mount to the new
> bike. These are available in multi-packs from a wide
> variety of stores, but a big-box hardware store will
> probably be able to sell you a lifetime quantity for
> several bucks.

Yes, but the Sigma RDS ones are a very small size and (at
least on the one I have) have to fit through the unit -- so
you can't use slightly-too-big ones. I's a bit more of a
hunt than what you imagine,

Peter Storey

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So how do you move a Sigma RDS wireless mount from one
> bike to the
next?!?!?
> They use zip-ties so that it's permanently anchored to the
> bike... how do they expect you to switch bikes?
>
> Has anyone figured out a rubber-band solution?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

use the rubber bands the product was supplied with? What am
I missing?????

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> So how do you move a Sigma RDS wireless mount from one
> bike to the next?!?!? They use zip-ties so that it's
> permanently anchored to the bike... how do they expect you
> to switch bikes?

Cut the zip ties, and put some new ones on the next
bike. You can get a package of 50 for about $3 at a
hardware store.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

phil-<< So how do you move a Sigma RDS wireless mount from
one bike to the next?!?!? They use zip-ties so that it's
permanently anchored to the bike... how do they expect you
to switch bikes? >><BR><BR>

Buy a second mount??

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

In article <[email protected]>,
vecchio51 @aol.com says...
> phil-<< So how do you move a Sigma RDS wireless mount from
> one bike to the next?!?!? They use zip-ties so that it's
> permanently anchored to the bike... how do they expect you
> to switch bikes? >><BR><BR>
>
> Buy a second mount??

I didn't even think about him meaning that he wants to be
able to switch it back and forth between two different
bikes. Additional mounts are cheap. My LBS had a drawer full
of them and just gave me one when I wanted to buy it.

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> writes:

> So how do you move a Sigma RDS wireless mount from one
> bike to the next?!?!? They use zip-ties so that it's
> permanently anchored to the bike... how do they expect you
> to switch bikes?

Umm. You cut the zip ties with something sharp. Then you use
new zip ties to attach it to the new bike. Or you buy a
couple of mounts and just move the computer.

David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> writes:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> vecchio51 @aol.com says...
>
>> phil-<< So how do you move a Sigma RDS wireless mount
>> from one bike to the next?!?!? They use zip-ties so that
>> it's permanently anchored to the bike... how do they
>> expect you to switch bikes?
>>
>> Buy a second mount??
>
> I didn't even think about him meaning that he wants to be
> able to switch it back and forth between two different
> bikes. Additional mounts are cheap. My LBS had a drawer
> full of them and just gave me one when I wanted to buy it.

The wireless mounts- to which the OP referred- aren't cheap.

<snip>
> Yes, but the Sigma RDS ones are a very small size and (at
> least on the one I have) have to fit through the unit --
> so you can't use slightly-too-big ones. I's a bit more of
> a hunt than what you imagine,
>
> Peter Storey

Your LBS probably has LOTS of this size zip tie. If not,
then put two small ones together.

Yes, moving the Sigma wireless mount's a PITA. I've had to
switch bars on a few bikes. Ugh. You have to cut UNDER as
well as over the "head" and work it out CAREFULLY. If you
don't take it out carefully, you'll crack the mount. Don't
ask how I know.

The next problem is the double stick tape. It comes off when
you pull off the mount. I've used inner tubes cut down for
the occasion when I can't find my supply of tape.

I haven't looked at my Sigma mounts in a while to try and
figure out how to get a rubberband mount in there. I don't
know that it can be done... The thing I came up with off the
top of the head is to make a loop out of a small zip tie and
wrap the rubber band around that.

HTH,

Peter Storey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Yes, but the Sigma RDS ones are a very small size and (at
> least on the one I have) have to fit through the unit --
> so you can't use slightly-too-big ones. I's a bit more of
> a hunt than what you imagine,
>
> Peter Storey

Don't have the Sigma, but almost every cycle computer in
existance has the same problem. Just had this issue with my
Vetta V100 the other day, and ended up putting two zip ties
together to get a long enough length. The hardware stores
only sell the minature zip ties in a 4" length. This is a
little too short. This online source (http://store.yahoo.com/buycableties/miniature-18lb-cable-
ties.html) seems to sell these mini zip ties in 4, 6 and 8"
lengths. Of course the shipping will cost more than the zip
ties. You might also try seeing if your local electrical
supply house can special order them.