Sigma Wireless Computer Problem

ubdawg

Aug 20, 2004
I just bought two sigma wireless computers/heart rate monitors and mounted mine to my bike just fine, but when I went to install the magnet on the spokes of my girlfriend's bike it doesn't fit. She has Shimano wheels that have flat spokes rather than round spokes, making the spoke to wide for the magnets casing. I can't get the magnet to angle correctly so that it passes by the wirelss unit on the fork. I was eventually able to force the magnet to the correct angle but the spoke then pries the case apart so that its screw won't hold in place. Has anyone else had this problem or no of a way to rig this to work?

thanks

ubdawg said:
I just bought two sigma wireless computers/heart rate monitors and mounted mine to my bike just fine, but when I went to install the magnet on the spokes of my girlfriend's bike it doesn't fit. She has Shimano wheels that have flat spokes rather than round spokes, making the spoke to wide for the magnets casing. I can't get the magnet to angle correctly so that it passes by the wirelss unit on the fork. I was eventually able to force the magnet to the correct angle but the spoke then pries the case apart so that its screw won't hold in place. Has anyone else had this problem or no of a way to rig this to work?

thanks
I rigged my magnet up near the rim and squeezed the metal sleeve with a pair of needle nose pliers. It works ok. Mavic sells a magnet for flat (or bladed) spokes that might do the trick. Which Shimano wheels are they? I have the 540's and the angle of the spokes makes it tricky.

PeterF said:
I rigged my magnet up near the rim and squeezed the metal sleeve with a pair of needle nose pliers. It works ok. Mavic sells a magnet for flat (or bladed) spokes that might do the trick. Which Shimano wheels are they? I have the 540's and the angle of the spokes makes it tricky.
Thanks. I checked out Mavic's site and found that one of my local shops carry their products. Hopefully they'll have the magnet, if not they can order it.
I can't recall here wheel type, but they do have the same crisscross spokes I think your talking about. We'll see if it works.

ubdawg said:
Thanks. I checked out Mavic's site and found that one of my local shops carry their products. Hopefully they'll have the magnet, if not they can order it.
I can't recall here wheel type, but they do have the same crisscross spokes I think your talking about. We'll see if it works.
It's not a great design for spoke magnets, but it works. Try ExcelSports.com for the magnet. http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&major=1&minor=23&description=Ksyrium+Wheel+Magnet&vendorCode=MAVIC

Good luck.

Pete