Sign up for workshops 2004!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Carol McLean, Jun 28, 2004.

  1. Carol McLean

    Carol McLean Guest

    Hi.

    I need more volunteers to lead workshops at NAUCC beginning at 4 p.m. on
    Tuesday, July 13.

    We'll be playing lots of games in the gym that evening, but we can run
    some workshops too. There will be workshops at various other times
    during the convention, from Wednesday through Sunday.

    Even if you aren't an "expert," please sign up to lead a workshop or
    two. It's all about sharing information, so if you can help get a group
    organized, that would be great.

    We'll be using a daily message board during the convention to announce
    times and places for workshops.

    Here's a list of some of the sessions we'll run if we can. Many still
    need leaders. Please let me know if you can help out and when.

    If you're interested in attending any of these, please respond here or
    send me an e-mail. I'll try to notify you of the workshop time and place
    once NAUCC begins if I know you're interested in attending.

    If you have other ideas for workshops and discussions, please let me
    know.

    e-mail address: [email protected]

    Active workshop sessions:

    1. Learning New Freemounts

    2. Backwards, One-footing

    3. Wheel walking

    4. Spins, pirouettes, other skills

    5. Skill Testing

    6. Innovations in Unicycling -- new or bizarre unicycles

    7. Maintenance -- how to change a tire, proper air pressure, making air
    seats, best crank length

    8. Teaching Friends, Spouses, Kids to Ride -- all beginners welcome to
    participate as guinea pigs

    9. Parade Routines -- successful formations, new formations, audience
    appeal

    10. Preparing an Individual Artistic Freestyle Routine -- music,
    choreography

    11. Pairs Riding -- new moves, using music, choreography, preparing
    routines

    12. Group Routines -- formations, new ideas

    13. Hockey and Basketball -- how to play, tips and strategies

    14. Other Games -- Quidditch, Sumo

    15. Riding a U Wheel or Coasting Wheel

    16. Juggling and Riding

    17. Trials moves

    18. Swap Meet: T-shirts, collectibles, equipment, whatever

    Discussions (sit-down sessions)

    1. How to Start a Club

    2. Club Issues -- Keeping Riders Challenged, Insurance Issues,
    Performing, Financial Issues

    3. How to Keep Riders Motivated with Games and Incentives

    4. New Skills Development System -- Overview and New Skills Handbook,
    Rider Tier: Beginners, Technical Division, Artistic Division, other new
    divisions including Tall, U Wheel, and Juggling; Expert Tier and
    Championship Club

    5. Standard Skill -- increasing participation

    6. Racing -- shortening the time needed for the events

    7. Future events -- Planning regional events, NAUCC for the future,
    Unicon, and other events

    8. USA Communication -- using e-mail, web site updates, newsletter

    9. USA Merchandise -- new products

    10. USA Rulebook -- updates

    11. USA Committees Review -- bylaws, recruiting volunteers, new
    committees, membership requirements, budgeting, expenses, long-range
    plans

    12. USA Affiliates -- affiliation requirements, maintaining affiliates
    lists, providing more support to affiliates

    --
    Carol McLean - Likes Pedal Pushers
    Carol McLean's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3302

  2. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    I’ll be fascinated with anything, assuming that my membership comes
    through in time.

    I plan to attend:
    1. Learning New Freemounts

    2. Backwards, One-footing

    And any other novice workshops I hear about, especially idling and
    hopping.

    I'm to new to teach anything except helping newbies learn to ride.

    --
    brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  3. Carol McLean

    Carol McLean Guest

  4. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    Carol McLean wrote:
    > *Brian,
    >
    > I'll take that as an "I'll help with the Teaching People to Ride"
    > workshop. You're in.*

    Oops, better watch it with this one guys - she's sharp, quick and takes
    names!:eek: :eek: :D

    I'll help where I can, but I am not awfully good.

    --
    brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  5. tadaniels

    tadaniels Guest

    Brian,

    Your USA, Inc. membership application dated June 17, 2004 was received
    June 21. It was processed by the Treasurer and sent to the Vice
    President on Saturday, June 27. The Vice President will be send out your
    membership card after he enters your information into our membership
    database.

    You do not need to have your membership card in your hands before you
    come to Salt Lake City. We had not received your registration for NAUCC
    2004 as of Saturday, June 27.

    Tom Daniels
    President, Unicycling Society of America, Inc.

    --
    tadaniels - USA President
    tadaniels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/352

  6. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    tadaniels wrote:
    > *Brian,
    >
    > Your USA, Inc. membership application dated June 17, 2004 was received
    > June 21. It was processed by the Treasurer and sent to the Vice
    > President on Saturday, June 27. The Vice President will be send out
    > your membership card after he enters your information into our
    > membership database.
    >
    > You do not need to have your membership card in your hands before you
    > come to Salt Lake City. We had not received your registration for
    > NAUCC 2004 as of Saturday, June 27.
    >

    > Tom Daniels
    > President, Unicycling Society of America, Inc. *

    Thanks Tom.
    As far as NAUCC, at that time I still wasn't sure I'd be going and,
    since I ain't good enough in *any :eek: * thing to compete, I wasn't
    worried about the competitors price increase.

    --
    brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  7. Carol McLean

    Carol McLean Guest

  8. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Eveyone is good enough to compete at a unicycle convention. We will
    always be about having fun. We have everything from the top champions to
    the first-timers, and something for everyone.

    I wanted to bump this one back to the top. I amost didn't even see it!
    If you're coming to NAUCC in Salt Lake City, please get involved in the
    workshops. Share skills you have, or c'mon down and check out what
    others are offering. There is much to see, learn and do! Some of these
    workshops are just thinly veiled games and other participation stuff
    too.

    Like the Sumo workshop I will probably conduct...

    All you folks in Utah, Colorado, Idaho and otherwise within a day's
    driving distance, if you're not going to Japan, you should not miss this
    event! It's nothing like anything else you've ever been to. It's every
    kind of unicycling, all in one place where you get to see, experience,
    and try all sorts of things. You will meet all kinds of interesting
    people. NAUCC may not return to this part of the country for many, many
    years. The USA has been doing this for over 30 years, and this is the
    first convention in this whole section of the country. Come on down!

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "Beer me." -- Scot Cooper, at the end of a group ride all the way up and
    all the way down Mt. Diablo (3300'), a 20 mile round trip of road and
    trail.

  9. Carol McLean

    Carol McLean Guest

  10. Carol McLean