signaling support of a front flat

Orange Fish

Dec 2, 2004
Which arm does a cyclist raise to signal his support that he has a front flat? I'm searching all over for it but can't seem to find the answer. Does he use the opposite arm to signal for a rear flat?

You raise the Hand that is on your front brake lever for a front flat and the hand that is on your rear brake lever for a rear flat.

Cyclist14 said:
You raise the Hand that is on your front brake lever for a front flat and the hand that is on your rear brake lever for a rear flat.
Any books on this type of subject? I am a mtb'r that is dabbling in the road racing scene. Although I am learning in Crash 5 races, would like to educate myself as much as possible as to not look too green.

Euro teams bikes use the revrse lever positioning vs USA. The Euro brake positioning is the same as a USA motorcycle: Front brake is with the right hand. Thre's gotta be a clearer way to answer the Q?

Everything on the rear wheel is right hand and everything on the front wheel is the left. They don't reverse the brake levers in Europe, look at some racing pictures. I have seen a couple of riders in over 20 years of riding and racing that switch the brake levers.

If that doesn't convince you, think where your shift levers are. Right/rear-Left/front. That never gets reversed.

Also, if you get a rear flat, get your chain in the smallest cog because the mechanic will expect to put the wheel back on in the smallest cog.

steve-d said:
Euro teams bikes use the revrse lever positioning vs USA. The Euro brake positioning is the same as a USA motorcycle: Front brake is with the right hand. Thre's gotta be a clearer way to answer the Q?

Yeah, you freakin point to the flat wheel after you catch the eye of the guy who's gonna change it for you.

The reversed brake thing is mostly Italian, but not that common anymore.

use the shifters as a guide as stillriding says. right-rear, left-front. this way all you motorcyclists (typically they swap levers for brakes, except for Harleys which are reverse of the reverse...), Italians, lefties, and people from India (as a friend from India pointed out after he crashed into an office chair riding my bike around the office) can signal the same way.

of course, if it's a front and you're about to crash, worrying about what hand to use to signal is the least of your concerns. I was in a road race in NY when someone flatted on a 45+ mph descent. A hand went up and I thought "oh, he knows how to signal a flat". Then it zipped out of view, I heard the scraping of metal and ground, and the next thing I knew about 20-30 racers were sprawled all over the ground including me.

For the original questioner, if you raise *any* hand, hold your line, don't fall, and manage to filter through the pack without taking anyone out, then you've done as well as anyone would expect you to do.

btw no matter what wheel you need, the neutral support guy will probably ask anyway. When my dropout broke in a race I stopped without really signaling but it was apparent it was a rear wheel problem since it wasn't rolling at all. "8 or 9 speed?", the excited neutral support guy yelled. "10 speed. and I need a dropout". "oh". "can I at least get a ride? it's 10 miles back to the parking lot". "um.. ok".