Signalling downhill

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sky Fly, May 12, 2003.

  1. Sky Fly

    Sky Fly Guest

    Hi all,

    I try to arm signal whenever I can, but I feel at risk doing this while hitting nearly 30mph
    downhill so I keep both hands on the bars. Does anyone else feel the same way? Should I be able to
    handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?

    --
    Akin

    aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

    Tags:

  2. "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I try to arm signal whenever I can, but I feel at risk doing this while hitting nearly 30mph
    > downhill so I keep both hands on the bars. Does anyone else feel the same way? Should I be able to
    > handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?

    If I'm about to turn I usually slow down a bit before starting to signal if possible.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Sky Fly wrote:
    > I try to arm signal whenever I can, but I feel at risk doing this while hitting nearly 30mph
    > downhill so I keep both hands on the bars. Does anyone else feel the same way? Should I be able to
    > handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?

    Yes. but you shouldn't need to give a _long_ signal at that speed. If you do need to, you shouldn't
    be going that fast in the first place.

    ~PB

  4. "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I try to arm signal whenever I can, but I feel at risk doing this while hitting nearly 30mph
    > downhill so I keep both hands on the bars. Does anyone else feel the same way? Should I be able to
    > handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?
    >
    > --> Akin
    >
    > I find this a real problem on my commuting in Sheffield which is very
    hilly. Motorists often get annoyed when I don't signal and so cost them valuable seconds. But it
    is a matter of common sense. I signal when I feel it safe to. On 20% descents when wet it isn't
    always wise.

    Cliff

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 12 May 2003 19:48:11 +0100, "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Should I be able to handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?

    Well, I reckon that depends. Whizzing downhill at 40-odd I will often fail to signal on unfamiliar
    roads, but on familiar roads I work out the right points for the brakes, signal, turn and so on.

    For left turns of course it's a non-issue anyway, since the front brake is on the right-hand side,
    but for right turns I normally find that a short signal, brake good and hard, longer signal while
    maintaining speed with gentle application of the rear brake, and then final brake for the turn,
    works OK for most situations. But of course staying on is more important than signalling.

    I do have automated signalling on one bike: "Turning LEFT" and Michael sticks his fist out :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 12 May 2003 19:48:11 +0100, "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Should I be able to handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?

    No...Just indicate with ya foot!

    --
    Mark

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 12 May 2003 21:13:53 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >No...Just indicate with ya foot!

    I always indicate with my feet: intended direction of travel - forwards!

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  8. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > On Mon, 12 May 2003 21:13:53 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >No...Just indicate with ya foot!
    >
    > I always indicate with my feet: intended direction of travel - forwards!

    You mean arse first into disaster :)

  9. Sky Fly

    Sky Fly Guest

    > On Mon, 12 May 2003 19:48:11 +0100, "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > I do have automated signalling on one bike: "Turning LEFT" and Michael sticks his fist out :)

    Am I correct in saying that this is your child strapped to a child seat at the back of your bike?

    If so, you have my MAXIMUM respect here. I feel uncomfortable enough riding my bike when I have a
    load of heavy shopping at the back - it's like my steering is harder to control. But I would feel
    *extremely* nervous about riding with a potentially restive child at the back with the same steering
    problems - I don't mind taking a fall on my bike now and then, but I would feel very bad if the
    child at the back had to.

    --
    Akin

    aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    > dynamic DNS permitting)
    > NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

  10. I have the same problem when doing 30 mph + down the Portsdown hill road and hanging a left halfway
    down. It's not very often that someone is waiting to exit this road so I only signal when this is
    the case and slow right down in the process, but when doing those sorts of speeds I like to have
    both hands on otherwise I don't feel in total control. "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I try to arm signal whenever I can, but I feel at risk doing this while hitting nearly 30mph
    > downhill so I keep both hands on the bars. Does anyone else feel the same way? Should I be able to
    > handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?
    >
    > --
    > Akin
    >
    > aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

  11. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:

    >If I'm about to turn I usually slow down a bit before starting to signal if possible.

    The highway code suggests signaling before manoeuvering - which includes slowing down - is the
    correct order. Look - signal - manoeuver.

    London bus drivers, on the other hand, think that the correct order is manoeuver, signal, look!
    --
    remove remove to reply

  12. Markyp

    Markyp Guest

    > On Mon, 12 May 2003 19:48:11 +0100, "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Should I be able to handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?
    >
    > Well, I reckon that depends. Whizzing downhill at 40-odd I will often fail to signal on unfamiliar
    > roads, but on familiar roads I work out the right points for the brakes, signal, turn and so on.
    >
    > For left turns of course it's a non-issue anyway, since the front brake is on the right-hand side,
    > but for right turns I normally find that a short signal, brake good and hard, longer signal while
    > maintaining speed with gentle application of the rear brake, and then final brake for the turn,
    > works OK for most situations. But of course staying on is more important than signalling.

    right turns sound a bit ropey! Simply have the front brake on the left...makes more sense.

    mp MK

  13. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I try to arm signal whenever I can, but I feel at risk doing this while hitting nearly 30mph
    > downhill so I keep both hands on the bars. Does anyone else feel the same way? Should I be able to
    > handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?

    Steering the bike should not be the issue. It's letting go of the brakes for long enough to give a
    meaningful signal that can be problematic.

    --
    Dave...

  14. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > I do have automated signalling on one bike: "Turning LEFT" and Michael sticks his fist out :)
    >
    > Am I correct in saying that this is your child strapped to a child seat at the back of your bike?

    Guy doesn't give free rides. Michael is expected to contribute to the pedalling.

    --
    Dave...

  15. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Gonzalez <[email protected]> typed:

    > London bus drivers, on the other hand, think that the correct order is manoeuver, signal, look!

    I thought it was manoeuver, signal, whoops

    Tony ;-)

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  16. "Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The highway code suggests signaling before manoeuvering - which includes slowing down.....

    Should I flap my arm up and down each time I slow down (as shown in hway code)?

  17. John B

    John B Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:

    > "Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > The highway code suggests signaling before manoeuvering - which includes slowing down.....
    >
    > Should I flap my arm up and down each time I slow down (as shown in hway code)?

    Do it with both arms then you'll fly over the b*st*rd who pulls out.

    FWIW in my cycle training I am to instruct young riders to raise and lower their right arms
    three times.

    John B

  18. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > The highway code suggests signaling before manoeuvering - which includes slowing down.....
    >
    > Should I flap my arm up and down each time I slow down (as shown in hway
    code)?

    No -- the approved method is to shout 'Stopping'. At least it works with cyclists :(

  19. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  20. Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Adrian Boliston wrote:
    >>If I'm about to turn I usually slow down a bit before starting to signal if possible.
    >The highway code suggests signaling before manoeuvering - which includes slowing down - is the
    >correct order.

    But this is not written with cyclists in mind, who need both hands on the bars to brake most
    effectively.