Signalling downhill

Sky Fly

Guest
Hi all,

I try to arm signal whenever I can, but I feel at risk doing this while hitting nearly 30mph
downhill so I keep both hands on the bars. Does anyone else feel the same way? Should I be able to
handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

"Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I try to arm signal whenever I can, but I feel at risk doing this while hitting nearly 30mph
> downhill so I keep both hands on the bars. Does anyone else feel the same way? Should I be able to
> handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?

If I'm about to turn I usually slow down a bit before starting to signal if possible.

Sky Fly wrote:
> I try to arm signal whenever I can, but I feel at risk doing this while hitting nearly 30mph
> downhill so I keep both hands on the bars. Does anyone else feel the same way? Should I be able to
> handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?

Yes. but you shouldn't need to give a _long_ signal at that speed. If you do need to, you shouldn't
be going that fast in the first place.

~PB

"Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I try to arm signal whenever I can, but I feel at risk doing this while hitting nearly 30mph
> downhill so I keep both hands on the bars. Does anyone else feel the same way? Should I be able to
> handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?
>
> --> Akin
>
> I find this a real problem on my commuting in Sheffield which is very
hilly. Motorists often get annoyed when I don't signal and so cost them valuable seconds. But it
is a matter of common sense. I signal when I feel it safe to. On 20% descents when wet it isn't
always wise.

Cliff

On Mon, 12 May 2003 19:48:11 +0100, "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Should I be able to handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?

Well, I reckon that depends. Whizzing downhill at 40-odd I will often fail to signal on unfamiliar
roads, but on familiar roads I work out the right points for the brakes, signal, turn and so on.

For left turns of course it's a non-issue anyway, since the front brake is on the right-hand side,
but for right turns I normally find that a short signal, brake good and hard, longer signal while
maintaining speed with gentle application of the rear brake, and then final brake for the turn,
works OK for most situations. But of course staying on is more important than signalling.

I do have automated signalling on one bike: "Turning LEFT" and Michael sticks his fist out :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 12 May 2003 19:48:11 +0100, "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Should I be able to handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?

No...Just indicate with ya foot!

--
Mark

On Mon, 12 May 2003 21:13:53 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

>No...Just indicate with ya foot!

I always indicate with my feet: intended direction of travel - forwards!

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

> On Mon, 12 May 2003 19:48:11 +0100, "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> I do have automated signalling on one bike: "Turning LEFT" and Michael sticks his fist out :)

Am I correct in saying that this is your child strapped to a child seat at the back of your bike?

If so, you have my MAXIMUM respect here. I feel uncomfortable enough riding my bike when I have a
load of heavy shopping at the back - it's like my steering is harder to control. But I would feel
*extremely* nervous about riding with a potentially restive child at the back with the same steering
problems - I don't mind taking a fall on my bike now and then, but I would feel very bad if the
child at the back had to.

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
> dynamic DNS permitting)
> NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
> work. Apologies.

I have the same problem when doing 30 mph + down the Portsdown hill road and hanging a left halfway
down. It's not very often that someone is waiting to exit this road so I only signal when this is
the case and slow right down in the process, but when doing those sorts of speeds I like to have
both hands on otherwise I don't feel in total control. "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in

Adrian Boliston wrote:

>If I'm about to turn I usually slow down a bit before starting to signal if possible.

The highway code suggests signaling before manoeuvering - which includes slowing down - is the
correct order. Look - signal - manoeuver.

London bus drivers, on the other hand, think that the correct order is manoeuver, signal, look!
--
remove remove to reply

news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 12 May 2003 19:48:11 +0100, "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Should I be able to handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?
>
> Well, I reckon that depends. Whizzing downhill at 40-odd I will often fail to signal on unfamiliar
> roads, but on familiar roads I work out the right points for the brakes, signal, turn and so on.
>
> For left turns of course it's a non-issue anyway, since the front brake is on the right-hand side,
> but for right turns I normally find that a short signal, brake good and hard, longer signal while
> maintaining speed with gentle application of the rear brake, and then final brake for the turn,
> works OK for most situations. But of course staying on is more important than signalling.

right turns sound a bit ropey! Simply have the front brake on the left...makes more sense.

mp MK

"Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I try to arm signal whenever I can, but I feel at risk doing this while hitting nearly 30mph
> downhill so I keep both hands on the bars. Does anyone else feel the same way? Should I be able to
> handle the bike with just one hand going downhill?

Steering the bike should not be the issue. It's letting go of the brakes for long enough to give a
meaningful signal that can be problematic.

--
Dave...

"Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > I do have automated signalling on one bike: "Turning LEFT" and Michael sticks his fist out :)
>
> Am I correct in saying that this is your child strapped to a child seat at the back of your bike?

Guy doesn't give free rides. Michael is expected to contribute to the pedalling.

--
Dave...

In news:[email protected], Gonzalez <[email protected]> typed:

> London bus drivers, on the other hand, think that the correct order is manoeuver, signal, look!

I thought it was manoeuver, signal, whoops

Tony ;-)

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Adrian Boliston wrote:

> "Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > The highway code suggests signaling before manoeuvering - which includes slowing down.....
>
> Should I flap my arm up and down each time I slow down (as shown in hway code)?

Do it with both arms then you'll fly over the b*st*rd who pulls out.

FWIW in my cycle training I am to instruct young riders to raise and lower their right arms
three times.

John B

Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:
>Adrian Boliston wrote:
>>If I'm about to turn I usually slow down a bit before starting to signal if possible.
>The highway code suggests signaling before manoeuvering - which includes slowing down - is the
>correct order.

But this is not written with cyclists in mind, who need both hands on the bars to brake most
effectively.