significant increase in survival time in pancreatic cancer using gemcitabine, 5-fluorouracil and fol

Roger

Guest
(from Pubmed) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ui
ds=12865908&dopt=Abstract

Br J Cancer. 2003 Jul 21;89(2):239-42.

A novel biweekly pancreatic cancer treatment schedule with gemcitabine, 5-fluorouracil and
folinic acid.

Oncology Section, Department of Human Pathology and Oncology, Siena University School of Medicine,
Viale Bracci 11, 53100 Siena, Italy.

Pancreatic adenocarcinoma is a common disease considered to be poorly responsive to antiblastic
treatment. Recent clinical and preclinical results suggest that a combined treatment of gemcitabine
(GEM), 5-flurouracil (5-FU) and folinic acid (FA) offers a clinical benefit in patients with
advanced pancreas adenocarcinoma. The aim of this phase II clinical trial was to evaluate the
antitumour activity and toxicity of a novel biweekly schedule of this combination in patients with
pancreatic adenocarcinoma. A total of 42 patients received a 30 min infusion of FA (100 mg m(-2))
and 5-FU (400 mg m(-2)) (FUFA) on days 1-3, and GEM 1000 mg m(-2) on day 1 every 15 days. We
observed 13 objective responses (two complete, 11 partial) and 23 stable diseases. The median time
to progression was 9.75 months (95% Confidence Interval (CI), 6.88-12.62) and the median overall
survival was 13.10 months (95% CI 9.64-16.56). There were seven cases of each grade III
gastroenteric and haematological toxicity. The GEM plus FUFA combination appears to be well
tolerated and very active in patients with pancreatic carcinoma.

Guest
Roger wrote:

> (from Pubmed) http://www.nc
> i.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12865908&dopt=Abstract
>
> Br J Cancer. 2003 Jul 21;89(2):239-42.
>
> A novel biweekly pancreatic cancer treatment schedule with gemcitabine, 5-fluorouracil and
> folinic acid.
>
> Oncology Section, Department of Human Pathology and Oncology, Siena University School of Medicine,
> Viale Bracci 11, 53100 Siena, Italy.
>
> Pancreatic adenocarcinoma is a common disease considered to be poorly responsive to antiblastic
> treatment. Recent clinical and preclinical results suggest that a combined treatment of
> gemcitabine (GEM), 5-flurouracil (5-FU) and folinic acid (FA) offers a clinical benefit in
> patients with advanced pancreas adenocarcinoma. The aim of this phase II clinical trial was to
> evaluate the antitumour activity and toxicity of a novel biweekly schedule of this combination in
> patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma. A total of 42 patients received a 30 min infusion of FA
> (100 mg m(-2)) and 5-FU (400 mg m(-2)) (FUFA) on days 1-3, and GEM 1000 mg m(-2) on day 1 every 15
> days. We observed 13 objective responses (two complete, 11 partial) and 23 stable diseases. The
> median time to progression was 9.75 months (95% Confidence Interval (CI), 6.88-12.62) and the
> median overall survival was 13.10 months (95% CI 9.64-16.56). There were seven cases of each grade
> III gastroenteric and haematological toxicity. The GEM plus FUFA combination appears to be well
> tolerated and very active in patients with pancreatic carcinoma.

I don't see "significant" there, especially when one considers the following: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
8&selm=KyW97.994%243x.3689%40news.bc.tac.net

J (uncross-posted)