TimC said:
One of the many signs I have not been riding nearly enough:

You think you hear something in the garage/basement or where you store your bike calling your name as you walk past it.

On 2007-08-07, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)

> TimC Wrote:
>> One of the many signs I have not been riding nearly enough:

> You think you hear something in the garage/basement or where you store
> your bike calling your name as you walk past it.

Nah, that's just the impending madness.

--
TimC
"I won! I won! I don't have to go to school anymore."

MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote:

> TimC Wrote:
> > One of the many signs I have not been riding nearly enough:
> >

> You think you hear something in the garage/basement or where you store
> your bike calling your name as you walk past it.

You understand what people are talking about when the discussion around
the lunchroom table turns to the need to lose weight.

You have to take your car in for a service EVERY YEAR

You think that your local government is doing a lot for cyclists

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 02:51:48 -0700, Donga
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Your spouse hasn't finished the housework when you get home.

You have time to do housework.
Clearing space for bike maintenance doesn't count.

On 2007-08-07, MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote:

> TimC Wrote:
>> One of the many signs I have not been riding nearly enough:
>>

> You think you hear something in the garage/basement or where you store
> your bike calling your name as you walk past it.

You get more the 6 months out a 10 speed drivetrain.

:)

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

On 07 Aug 2007 11:18:27 GMT, Joel Mayes <[email protected]>
wrote:

>You get more the 6 months out a 10 speed drivetrain.

Assumes you only ride the one bike. I ride an 3x8, 2x9 and a fixie.
Getting a 2x10 in November. Individual wear over time is variable.

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 17:40:02 +1000, Peter wrote:

> You understand what people are talking about when the discussion around
> the lunchroom table turns to the need to lose weight.

No, that's when you've decided to take cycling too seriously. Damn weight
weenies!

> You have to take your car in for a service EVERY YEAR

Technically most cars want 6 mo or 10,000 km. Or at least, the
manufacturers want you to pay them at those intervals.

> You think that your local government is doing a lot for cyclists

Nope, that's when you've fallen off without a helmet </troll>

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father.

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:16:47 +1000, Aeek wrote:

> Clearing space for bike maintenance doesn't count.

According to the last census, bike maintenance is housework. My spouse was
most ****** off that I'd done as much as I had last time - luckily I'd
rebuilt her bike that week!

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
I still can't see a wasp without thinking "400K 1W"

Peter said:
You think that your local government is doing a lot for cyclists

Well some of them do. Not so long ago I could count them all on one hand, now I require both hands & possibly the left foot. Although with 700+ LGA's across the country that's still far from adequate. ;)

On 2007-08-07, Dave (aka Bruce)
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 17:40:02 +1000, Peter wrote:
>
>> You understand what people are talking about when the discussion around
>> the lunchroom table turns to the need to lose weight.

> No, that's when you've decided to take cycling too seriously. Damn weight
> weenies!

And if you lose too much weight, you sound like Cadel.

>> You have to take your car in for a service EVERY YEAR

> Technically most cars want 6 mo or 10,000 km. Or at least, the
> manufacturers want you to pay them at those intervals.

HA! AHAHA! AHAHAHAHA! MUHAHAHAHAHA!

*cough* yearly roadworthiness check *cough*. Well, that was in NSW
anyway. In Vic, if they had continued to let my car on the road, I
would probably have never gotten it serviced.

--
TimC
I read [.doc files] with "rm". All you lose is the microsoft-specific

TimC wrote:

> *cough* yearly roadworthiness check *cough*. Well, that was in NSW
> anyway. In Vic, if they had continued to let my car on the road, I
> would probably have never gotten it serviced.

I see you have a nasty cough there. :)

The roadworthyness checks are to ensure the vehicle is up to a level of
safety standard, and ensures at least another year of safe road operation.

That said, I've been told the brake tests are so conclusive, that even if
your pads are totally worn, and it's metal against metal, the vehicle will
STILL pass the test. (Verified by a mechanic friend who tested it for a ****
stir).

That grinding noise you hear in the background is not applicable to the
test, so is irrelevant.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org>

On 2007-08-08, John Tserkezis (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>
>> *cough* yearly roadworthiness check *cough*. Well, that was in NSW
>> anyway. In Vic, if they had continued to let my car on the road, I
>> would probably have never gotten it serviced.

> I see you have a nasty cough there. :)
>
> The roadworthyness checks are to ensure the vehicle is up to a level of
> safety standard, and ensures at least another year of safe road operation.
>
> That said, I've been told the brake tests are so conclusive, that even if
> your pads are totally worn, and it's metal against metal, the vehicle will
> STILL pass the test. (Verified by a mechanic friend who tested it for a ****
> stir).

In NSW, with the yearly inspections, my car passed in the decade and a
half we had it. First year back in Vic, attempted change of
ownership, so I had to reregister and roadworthy, and they objected to
a bent chassis. Huh, must have been hit before we bought it when it
was 8 years old (we transferred it out of Vic at the time -- perhaps
it was one of those "written off in Vic, but OK for sale in other
states" cases). Never caused a problem in NSW, never detected, and
never of any practical importance.

It gave me an excellent opportunity to force me to ride my bike
everywhere. 'twas the best thing that ever happened to me, even
though I had only been driving the car once every couple of weeks
usually, just to keep the battery charged -- I did use it when I
wanted to go long distances though. After that, purely bike and train
-- the best way to get around.

And how was that paragraph for bringing us back on topic? :)

--
TimC
The first time, it's a KLUDGE!

TimC wrote:

> And how was that paragraph for bringing us back on topic? :)

I was going to mention that seeing my mechanic mate on that day he showed me
the brake test, I had gone there on a bike.

But that was probably clutching at straws...
--

Dave said:
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:16:47 +1000, Aeek wrote:

> Clearing space for bike maintenance doesn't count.

According to the last census, bike maintenance is housework. My spouse was
most ****** off that I'd done as much as I had last time - luckily I'd
rebuilt her bike that week!

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
I still can't see a wasp without thinking "400K 1W"
- Derek Potter, uk.misc
You totally sure that bike maintenance is classified as housework for census purposes? MrsA works at the ABS and I would want to be absolutely certain about that before I tried to make that claim at home. :D

SteveA

cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Peter Wrote:
> >
> > You think that your local government is doing a lot for cyclists

> Well some of them do. Not so long ago I could count them all on one
> hand, now I require both hands & possibly the left foot. Although with
> 700+ LGA's across the country that's still far from adequate. ;)

Soon to be 600+

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 16:44:18 +1000, SteveA wrote:

> You totally sure that bike maintenance is classified as housework for
> census purposes? MrsA works at the ABS and I would want to be
> absolutely certain about that before I tried to make that claim at home.
> :D

I'd have to dig up the forms, but it specifically said maintenance on
either bicycles or sporting equipment counted. Like I said, my wife was
rather peeved, to put it mildly.

Here we go (*** to mark the important bit! ):

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/Latestproducts/C4D5289A84B1BF2BCA25720B000418D4?opendocument

"Unpaid Domestic Work: Number of Hours (DOMP) - This includes all the
domestic work a person does without pay in their own home and in other
places, for themselves, their family and other people in their
household.Unpaid domestic work can include meal preparation, service and
clean-up; washing, ironing and managing clothes; other housework;
gardening, mowing and yard work; home maintenance; *** car and bike
maintenance ***; household shopping and managing household financial
affairs.
"

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"I have an asteroid named after me. Isaac

Dave said:
"Unpaid Domestic Work: Number of Hours (DOMP) - This includes all the
domestic work a person does without pay in their own home and in other
places, for themselves, their family and other people in their
household.Unpaid domestic work can include meal preparation, service and
clean-up; washing, ironing and managing clothes; other housework;
gardening, mowing and yard work; home maintenance; *** car and bike
maintenance ***; household shopping and managing household financial
affairs."

F**king sweet!! I am taking this home tonight..... great research ! :)