Silca frame pump question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mikeyankee, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    Pumping up an Axial Pro after flatting today, my [plastic] Silca head wasn't gripping the presta
    stem well enough and I was getting blow-by at around 80
    psi. I tightened the black plastic screw without much improvement. Then I tried loosening the screw
    past its original position, and was surprised that I could get ~100 psi before any blow-by
    occurred. By carefully positioning the head on the valve stem (not inserting the stem too deeply)
    I could get closer to 110 psi.

    The pump is feather-light and works well enough, but seems to be more finicky in gripping the valve
    stem than the Blackburn of Zefal XP frame pumps I have on other bikes.

    Is this typical of Silcas? Anybody have any special tricks or techniques to recomment?

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

    Tags:

  2. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    > Anybody have any special tricks or techniques to recomment?

    Campy head. Phil Brown

  3. On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:49:50 +0000, MikeYankee wrote:

    > Pumping up an Axial Pro after flatting today, my [plastic] Silca head wasn't gripping the presta
    > stem well enough and I was getting blow-by at around 80
    > psi. I tightened the black plastic screw without much improvement. Then I tried loosening the
    > screw past its original position, and was surprised that I could get ~100 psi before any blow-by
    > occurred. By carefully positioning the head on the valve stem (not inserting the stem too
    > deeply) I could get closer to 110 psi.
    >
    > The pump is feather-light and works well enough, but seems to be more finicky in gripping the
    > valve stem than the Blackburn of Zefal XP frame pumps I have on other bikes.
    >
    > Is this typical of Silcas? Anybody have any special tricks or techniques to recomment?

    John, if you ask nice I will give you my old Campy head. Far superior, plus it works much better in
    deterring dogs. My pump is trash (but, that is the norm for Silca pumps), but the head is fine.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of _`\(,_ | business. (_)/ (_) |

  4. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    Hey, thanks, Dave! But negatory because:

    (1) the Campy head is not retrofittable to the plastic Silca Imperios (which I got at T-town for all
    of $5, by the way)

    (2) You can probably get $25+ for it on Ebay!!!

    Hope to see you in August; will advise.

    Meanwhile, the pump issue isn't a problem as much as a curiosity. I played with it in the garage
    last night and it seemed to work fine by simply not pushing it too far onto the valve stem.

    Regards,

    John

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  5. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

    >[email protected] (MikeYankee)

    >(1) the Campy head is not retrofittable to the plastic Silca Imperios

    Hmm, maybe not, I've had several Imperos over the years, all had that same brass thread spigot at
    the end... --Tom Paterson

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "MikeYankee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey, thanks, Dave! But negatory because:
    > (1) the Campy head is not retrofittable to the plastic Silca Imperios
    (which I
    > got at T-town for all of $5, by the way)
    >
    > (2) You can probably get $25+ for it on Ebay!!!
    >
    > Hope to see you in August; will advise.
    >
    > Meanwhile, the pump issue isn't a problem as much as a curiosity. I
    played
    > with it in the garage last night and it seemed to work fine by simply not pushing it too far onto
    > the valve stem.

    There were once several patterns of Silca body and various heads. Since about 1973 at least there
    has virtually only been the one pattern- square boss with a 9mm thread. That format accepts either a
    Silca chromoplastic head or the similar Camagnolo ("superlight" #3346) or the classic Campagnolo
    1030/2 chromed steel head . Note that the aluminum sleeve is keyed to the head and turns with the
    head. Twist with the pump in one hand and the aluminum sleeve in the other hand.

    Regarding the Silca's foibles, the washer inside the head necessarily wears, as in any classic
    push-on "express" head. That washer also fits the later-model Silca brass floor pump head and is
    very available and cheap. Secondly the Silca pump is quite large in diameter and so pumps a tire in
    fewer strokes but with extraordinary effort compared to more modern designs. "Express" heads are
    simply pushed onto the valve so the washer wears out faster. When pumping, you'll need to hold the
    head/tire/rim in one hand in such a way as to not push against an unsuppported valve. And even
    though your Silca Impero looks sleek without its aluminum sleeve, leaving that aluminum sleeve in
    place really helps to keep a hot pump from cracking in the final few strokes.