Silca Italia pressure gauge not detecting pressure



CAMPYBOB

Well-Known Member
Sep 12, 2005
11,945
2,086
113
Or...order the Article #30 model that is Schrader capable: http://www.bikesonline.com/silca-30-0-presta-schrader-adaptor-head-brass.htm

Be sure and order a couple of spare Presta gasket washers and a couple of hose clamps when you order either the Art. 24 or Art. 30 Silca air chuck heads.

They also stock the Art. 30 head already installed on a hose as the Art. 30.2. Just unscrew your OEM hose and thread in and tighten the new hose after wrapping the threads with a couple turns of Teflon tape.
 

urge2kill

Member
Aug 13, 2013
448
20
0
Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Or...order the Article #30 model that is Schrader capable: http://www.bikesonline.com/silca-30-0-presta-schrader-adaptor-head-brass.htm

Be sure and order a couple of spare Presta gasket washers and a couple of hose clamps when you order either the Art. 24 or Art. 30 Silca air chuck heads.

They also stock the Art. 30 head already installed on a hose as the Art. 30.2. Just unscrew your OEM hose and thread in and tighten the new hose after wrapping the threads with a couple turns of Teflon tape.
Hey! You linkin' me to untrustworthy online retailers?
https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/bikesonline.com

But the mention of hose clamps was a good tip. Thanks.
 

urge2kill

Member
Aug 13, 2013
448
20
0
I want another hose and hose-end fitting. Then I could make a separate hose with the alternative chuck, and switch between hoses by screwing them in and out.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding any Silca-specific air hoses or hose fittings.
 

alfeng

Well-Known Member
Jul 23, 2005
6,723
254
63
Originally Posted by urge2kill
I want another hose and hose-end fitting. Then I could make a separate hose with the alternative chuck, and switch between hoses by screwing them in and out.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding any Silca-specific air hoses or hose fittings.
FYI. You can go to HOME DEPOT (or, equivalent) and buy CLEAR hose which is typically used as a water supply line ... it will look like a home aquarium air hose, but it is a little thicker ...

I think that there is more than one inner diameter size available, so you need to choose, accordingly.

If you install a Schrader-compatible head on the hose, then you can simply use the Silca 30 pump head with it when you need to use the pump with Presta valves.
 

urge2kill

Member
Aug 13, 2013
448
20
0
I don't know how to figure out what kind of threading is on the barbed fitting that connects the hose to the valve body. Is it american standard threading, british standard threading, metric threading?
 

CAMPYBOB

Well-Known Member
Sep 12, 2005
11,945
2,086
113
There are no threads that interface between the Presta valve stem and the barbed pump chuck. A rubber gasket seals the connection.

The pump chuck has a male and a female thread that can be tightened to adjust the compression of the rubber sealing gasket. Tightening the outer chuck against the inner chuck compresses the rubber and compensates for wearing of the gasket (caused by pushing it onto the valve stem and pulling it back off the valve stem).
 

alfeng

Well-Known Member
Jul 23, 2005
6,723
254
63
Originally Posted by urge2kill
I don't know how to figure out what kind of threading is on the barbed fitting that connects the hose to the valve body. Is it american standard threading, british standard threading, metric threading?
FYI. There are two versions of the particular SILCA pump head ...

  1. the one described & depicted ...
  2. and, one which threads into a Schrader pump head rather than having the "barbed" end (an OPTIONAL Schrader attachment is included for the same price if I recall correctly -- either an existing Schrader pump head can be used or the one supplied with the PISTA pump head can be used installed in the end of THE hose) ...
  • I believe that the alternative SILCA PISTA pump head which can be threaded into a Schrader valve will essentially give you a pump with an easier to implement Schrader option than having a pump with swappable hoses & two different pump heads ...
  • AND, would certainly be easier than opening the pump head to invert the internal components when you wanted to inflate a tube whose tube had a different valve type.
 

CAMPYBOB

Well-Known Member
Sep 12, 2005
11,945
2,086
113
Silca manufacturees TWO versions of the thread-on Schrader/Presta chuck...the 'pipe' version and the standard brass chuck (also manufactured in aluminum and there used to be a chrome plated brass version).

Both of the styles decouple the Presta portion of the chuck via Schrader threads...and the remaining female Schradrer thread screws onto the male Schrader valve's thread.

NONE of this affects the Presta portion of the:

Dead.

Nut.

Simple.

...press-on Presta chuck which was recommended many replies ago.
big-smile.png


How in blue blazes did friggin' bicycle tire pumps get this complicated???
 

urge2kill

Member
Aug 13, 2013
448
20
0
You both misunderstood. The valve body is the metal piece that everything else (the guage, the hose, the tube) screws into.

Originally Posted by urge2kill
I don't know how to figure out what kind of threading is on the barbed fitting that connects the hose to the valve body. Is it american standard threading, british standard threading, metric threading?
I'm looking for something like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Tru-Flate-21-123-Male-Hose-Fitting/dp/B000CFNVGS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396791168&sr=8-3&keywords=barb+fitting
 

CAMPYBOB

Well-Known Member
Sep 12, 2005
11,945
2,086
113
By "valve body" you are referring to the flow back valve in the bottom of the pump?

Remove the existing one from your Silca pump and measure the threads. Count threads per inch (yeah, you only have about 3/8" of threads, but extrapolate). Use verniers to measure for taper (indicator of pipe threads).

Compare measurements to thread standard (metric, UNF/UNC, American Standard Pipe, etc.).

Another method would be to remove your existing hose barb from the pump body and carry the pump into the nearest Lowes, Menards, Home Depot and see what thread size fits the tapped hole BY HAND.