Silca pumps

Robert Chung wrote:
> On Jun 23, 11:15 am, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Jun 23, 4:22 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Make it to Oslo with the group?

>> Nope. I was feeling great up until about 6 hours in. Then I didn't
>> have any energy. That was when we got to the flat parts and we had a
>> good tailwind too. I should have been in my element, but I was fried.
>> So rather than stuggle to hang on, when I had wanted to help set the
>> pace, I let go and took it alone for the last 260km. They managed
>> 15:22, I was 17:43. Best time was 13:32. I still managed over 30 km/h
>> for my 260 solo despite several stops including a gas station where I
>> ate 2 pastries, 2 yogurts, and drank 2 cokes!
>>
>> I had fuel issues related to a too tight jacket I think!

> Must be. Couldn't have been weight. Fogel has shown that 3 extra kg
> makes a negligible difference in time or speed.

Right. This is why I skip the Silca pumps and CO2 cartridges in favor
of a gasoline powered air compressor.

Fred Fredburger wrote:

>>> Nope. I was feeling great up until about 6 hours in. Then I
>>> didn't have any energy. That was when we got to the flat parts
>>> and we had a good tailwind too. I should have been in my element,
>>> but I was fried. So rather than struggle to hang on, when I had
>>> wanted to help set the pace, I let go and took it alone for the
>>> last 260km. They managed 15:22, I was 17:43. Best time was
>>> 13:32. I still managed over 30 km/h for my 260 solo despite
>>> several stops including a gas station where I ate 2 pastries, 2
>>> yogurts, and drank 2 cokes!

>>> I had fuel issues related to a too tight jacket I think!

>> Must be. Couldn't have been weight. Fogel has shown that 3 extra
>> kg makes a negligible difference in time or speed.

> Right. This is why I skip the Silca pumps and CO2 cartridges in favor
> of a gasoline powered air compressor.

Where do you carry that on your bicycle? I ride over many hills and
would not like the extra weight, as great as what I imagine such a
device has. I take it you don't get flat tires on your rides.

Jobst Brandt

On Jun 23, 5:00 pm, Fred Fredburger
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Right. This is why I skip the Silca pumps and CO2 cartridges in  favor
> of a gasoline powered air compressor.

I use electric. The compressor is much lighter. The extension cord can
be kind of a pain, though.

On Jun 23, 8:24 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 5:00 pm, Fred Fredburger
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Right. This is why I skip the Silca pumps and CO2 cartridges in  favor
> > of a gasoline powered air compressor.

> I use electric. The compressor is much lighter. The extension cord can
> be kind of a pain, though.

Use bat-reez instead. Keeps the cars from running over your extension
cord when you make sharp turns.

On Jun 23, 5:24 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 5:00 pm, Fred Fredburger
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Right. This is why I skip the Silca pumps and CO2 cartridges in  favor
> > of a gasoline powered air compressor.

> I use electric. The compressor is much lighter. The extension cord can
> be kind of a pain, though.

I got a 1.2 kW (peak) generator at Pep-Boys for $89, if that would
help.

In article <d6332b68-793f-4995-bf77-d0c484dfd981@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

> Now if I could only find some replacement rubber feet for my Campy
> head...

Hardware stores have rubber tubing that works fine and is dirt cheap.

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

I sorta like Silca pumps but I used to have a girlfriend who preferred
Manolo Blahnik pumps.

On Jun 23, 6:29 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> I sorta like Silca pumps but I used to have a girlfriend who preferred
> Manolo Blahnik pumps.

Greg pays you enough to afford not only lunch rides, but
Manolo Blahnik pumps!?! Or even to afford a girlfriend who
will buy them herself? Damn, I have gotta negotiate a better
subsidy.

Ben
You wouldn't believe how expensive they are
in my size.

On Jun 23, 8:30 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
> > On Jun 23, 10:14 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> I dumped my Wienmann Concave rims a long time ago. But
> >> I still have my Silva frame pump with the Campy head.
> >> And I only bought it once, unlike CO2 cartridges. I
> >> got it in 1979.

> >> I've dropped Zefal pumps off the bike and lost them.
> >> But never the Silca.

> > You should never get emotionally attached to things, Bob.  Ever.  It's
> > a slippery slope and you're sliding.

> I should clarify, the pump head is from 1979. I've
> replaced the pump body a couple of times. I keep it
> because it works better than the alternatives. I
> think mini pumps should be outlawed. I'd have dumped
> the Silca long ago if I could keep Zefal pumps from
> falling off the bike. I don't use CO2 because it's
> single use.
>
> A couple of years ago I bought a couple of pump
> bodies, to tide me over when they went out of
> production. I have a couple of Regina Oro chains too,
> still in the box. No nostalgia involved, if you are
> running a fixed gear with road pitch stuff the old,
> stiff pre-indexing chains work best.
>
> Bob Schwartz

I don't get it. I've never had a Zefal pump with the little
brackets on the head fall off when carried under the top
tube. Even on rough terrain. Do you have some weird
size frame that was in between Zefal sizes? Also,
I think the plastic brackets on the head started to slide
out once and I pushed them back. That's a once-a-decade
maintenance job. If it's a real problem, you could add
a thin velcro strap.

I also have one of those Topeak pumps that's like a mini
floor pump with a hose. It works ok, but the bracket and
fat velcro strap are annoying as I rub my knee on them
sometimes. It's good for dopey frames without pump pegs.
The problem with Silca pump bodies is that they are
more likely to crack when you need to use them then while
sitting there looking pretty.

The ideal way, of course, is to carry a minipump and ride with
some dumbass who insists on riding around with a big Zefal
HP pump all the time.

Ben

On Jun 23, 7:15 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jun 23, 6:29 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I sorta like Silca pumps but I used to have a girlfriend who preferred
> > Manolo Blahnik pumps.

> Greg pays you enough to afford not only lunch rides, but
> Manolo Blahnik pumps!?!  Or even to afford a girlfriend who
> will buy them herself?  Damn, I have gotta negotiate a better
> subsidy.
>
> Ben
> You wouldn't believe how expensive they are
> in my size.

Um, no, not exactly. She was the one who could afford me.

On Jun 24, 12:22 am, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 11:15 am, "[email protected]"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Jun 23, 4:22 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Make it to Oslo with the group?

> > Nope. I was feeling great up until about 6 hours in. Then I didn't
> > have any energy. That was when we got to the flat parts and we had a
> > good tailwind too. I should have been in my element, but I was fried.
> > So rather than stuggle to hang on, when I had wanted to help set the
> > pace, I let go and took it alone for the last 260km. They managed
> > 15:22, I was 17:43. Best time was 13:32. I still managed over 30 km/h
> > for my 260 solo despite several stops including a gas station where I
> > ate 2 pastries, 2 yogurts, and drank 2 cokes!

> > I had fuel issues related to a too tight jacket I think!

> Must be. Couldn't have been weight. Fogel has shown that 3 extra kg
> makes a negligible difference in time or speed.

All up weight at start was about 13kg less than last year. But a 3XL
waterlogged jacket probably does weigh about 3kg however!

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> The ideal way, of course, is to carry a minipump and ride with some
> dumbass who insists on riding around with a big Zefal HP pump all the
> time.

How to make friends V0.1

Fred Fredburger wrote:
> I was wondering what caused that. Who'd of thought I'd find the answer by
> reading RBR?

Good, I won't have to keep holding back any farts anymore.

[email protected] wrote:
> All up weight at start was about 13kg less than last year. But a 3XL
> waterlogged jacket probably does weigh about 3kg however!

You should have got Assos.

In article
<[email protected]>,
ronaldo_jeremiah <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 23, 9:15 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> >

> >  ronaldo_jeremiah <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Dumbass -

> > > No offense, but Silca products were junk.

> > > Why do you want a frame pump?  A CO2 device is smaller, faster, works
> > > better, and has no chance of falling off your bike into your spokes
> > > and killing you.

> > > -rj

> > Probably because a pump works twice.

> It's no trouble to carry a few CO2 cartridges. And pumps can fail,
> too (and a Silca probably will).

I'm not dumb enough to carry a Silca pump, but comparing CO2 to
worst-of-breed stuff is a mug's game.

> I'll concede that a Silca is probably more environmentally friendly
> than CO2 canisters, though.

I'm sure CO2 is very convenient, but I just see it as an ugly addition
to my bike kit's logistics tail (now I have to check my CO2 stock, as
well as my patch stock...).

A CO2 cartridge saves, what, maybe two or three minutes over a
well-wielded frame pump? If that? And a frame pump is always there for
you, even on that ride when your idiot riding buddy forgets his pump and
you have four flats in three hours between you.

It's cool and all, but only for MTBers, who have to self-support and
still be fast. You'd never catch Oscar Pereiro handling one of those
BB-pushers.

On Jun 24, 9:50 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>

>  ronaldo_jeremiah <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Jun 23, 9:15 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <[email protected]>,

> > > Probably because a pump works twice.

> > It's no trouble to carry a few CO2 cartridges.  And pumps can fail,
> > too (and a Silca probably will).

> I'm not dumb enough to carry a Silca pump, but comparing CO2 to
> worst-of-breed stuff is a mug's game.
>
> > I'll concede that a Silca is probably more environmentally friendly
> > than CO2 canisters, though.

> I'm sure CO2 is very convenient, but I just see it as an ugly addition
> to my bike kit's logistics tail (now I have to check my CO2 stock, as
> well as my patch stock...).
>
> A CO2 cartridge saves, what, maybe two or three minutes over a
> well-wielded frame pump? If that? And a frame pump is always there for
> you, even on that ride when your idiot riding buddy forgets his pump and
> you have four flats in three hours between you.
>
> It's cool and all, but only for MTBers, who have to self-support and
> still be fast. You'd never catch Oscar Pereiro handling one of those
> BB-pushers.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
> "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

Or the, "Ooops. I let out all the gas. Anyone have a pump?"

I've got a nice SKS Airboy:

http://www.bike-components.de/catalog/Airboy?osCsid=b87

Which is hardly longer than a water bottle and clean looking enough
that even a vain FM like me can stand to have it on his downtube.

Joseph

Donald Munro wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> I've got a nice SKS Airboy:
>>
>> http://www.bike-components.de/catalog/Airboy?osCsid=b87
>>
>> Which is hardly longer than a water bottle and clean looking enough that
>> even a vain FM like me can stand to have it on his downtube.

> You're letting the FM side down, its not carbon.
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Micro-Rocket-MasterBlaster-Carbon/dp/B000FIAVLK>
>
> Do Assos make a pump ?

A carbon fiber mini pump. Holy F ****.

Bob Schwartz