Silca pumps

hizark21

Guest
I was wondering what happened to Silca...? I believe they still make
the floor pumps. About 7 or 8 years ago Performance carried the Silca
frame pumps which was nice. Yellow Jersey carries the frame pumps, but
they are are expensive @39.95. Does anyone know who the US agent or
importer for Silca..?

Today I found a Campy pump head.

On Jun 23, 5:21 am, hizark21 <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was wondering what happened to Silca...? I believe they still make
> the floor pumps. About 7 or 8 years ago Performance carried the Silca
> frame pumps which was nice. Yellow Jersey carries the frame pumps, but
> they are are expensive @39.95. Does anyone know who the US agent or
> importer for Silca..?
>
> Today I found a Campy pump head.

Dumbass -

No offense, but Silca products were junk.

Why do you want a frame pump? A CO2 device is smaller, faster, works
better, and has no chance of falling off your bike into your spokes
and killing you.

-rj

On Jun 23, 12:21 pm, hizark21 <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was wondering what happened to Silca...? I believe they still make
> the floor pumps. About 7 or 8 years ago Performance carried the Silca
> frame pumps which was nice. Yellow Jersey carries the frame pumps, but
> they are are expensive @39.95. Does anyone know who the US agent or
> importer for Silca..?
>
> Today I found a Campy pump head.

I suspect Silca frame pumps have long since gone out of production.
IMO 40 bucks for a nice NOS piece of retro kit is pretty good. Perhaps
cheaper on eBay, but you have to search and wait til your size and
color turns up. Get one while the getting is good!

Now if I could only find some replacement rubber feet for my Campy
head...

Joseph

ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:
> On Jun 23, 5:21 am, hizark21 <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I was wondering what happened to Silca...? I believe they still make
>> the floor pumps. About 7 or 8 years ago Performance carried the Silca
>> frame pumps which was nice. Yellow Jersey carries the frame pumps, but
>> they are are expensive @39.95. Does anyone know who the US agent or
>> importer for Silca..?
>>
>> Today I found a Campy pump head.

> Dumbass -
>
> No offense, but Silca products were junk.
>
> Why do you want a frame pump? A CO2 device is smaller, faster, works
> better, and has no chance of falling off your bike into your spokes
> and killing you.

I dumped my Wienmann Concave rims a long time ago. But
I still have my Silva frame pump with the Campy head.
And I only bought it once, unlike CO2 cartridges. I
got it in 1979.

I've dropped Zefal pumps off the bike and lost them.
But never the Silca.

Bob Schwartz
Bob Schwartz

In article
<[email protected]>,
ronaldo_jeremiah <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 23, 5:21 am, hizark21 <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I was wondering what happened to Silca...? I believe they still make
> > the floor pumps. About 7 or 8 years ago Performance carried the Silca
> > frame pumps which was nice. Yellow Jersey carries the frame pumps, but
> > they are are expensive @39.95. Does anyone know who the US agent or
> > importer for Silca..?
> >
> > Today I found a Campy pump head.

> Dumbass -
>
> No offense, but Silca products were junk.
>
> Why do you want a frame pump? A CO2 device is smaller, faster, works
> better, and has no chance of falling off your bike into your spokes
> and killing you.
>
> -rj

Probably because a pump works twice.

On Jun 23, 10:14 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I dumped my Wienmann Concave rims a long time ago. But
> I still have my Silva frame pump with the Campy head.
> And I only bought it once, unlike CO2 cartridges. I
> got it in 1979.
>
> I've dropped Zefal pumps off the bike and lost them.
> But never the Silca.

You should never get emotionally attached to things, Bob. Ever. It's
a slippery slope and you're sliding.

RicodJour wrote:
> You should never get emotionally attached to things, Bob. Ever. It's a
> slippery slope and you're sliding.

Like Dr. Frankenstein, he's emotionally attached to his creation.

RicodJour wrote:
> On Jun 23, 10:14 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> I dumped my Wienmann Concave rims a long time ago. But
>> I still have my Silva frame pump with the Campy head.
>> And I only bought it once, unlike CO2 cartridges. I
>> got it in 1979.
>>
>> I've dropped Zefal pumps off the bike and lost them.
>> But never the Silca.

> You should never get emotionally attached to things, Bob. Ever. It's
> a slippery slope and you're sliding.

I should clarify, the pump head is from 1979. I've
replaced the pump body a couple of times. I keep it
because it works better than the alternatives. I
think mini pumps should be outlawed. I'd have dumped
the Silca long ago if I could keep Zefal pumps from
falling off the bike. I don't use CO2 because it's
single use.

A couple of years ago I bought a couple of pump
bodies, to tide me over when they went out of
production. I have a couple of Regina Oro chains too,
still in the box. No nostalgia involved, if you are
running a fixed gear with road pitch stuff the old,
stiff pre-indexing chains work best.

Bob Schwartz

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 23, 12:21�pm, hizark21 <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I was wondering what happened to Silca...? I believe they still make
> > the floor pumps. About 7 or 8 years ago Performance carried the Silca
> > frame pumps which was nice. Yellow Jersey carries the frame pumps, but
> > they are are expensive @39.95. Does anyone know who the US agent or
> > importer for Silca..?
> >
> > Today I found a Campy pump head.

> I suspect Silca frame pumps have long since gone out of production.
> IMO 40 bucks for a nice NOS piece of retro kit is pretty good. Perhaps
> cheaper on eBay, but you have to search and wait til your size and
> color turns up. Get one while the getting is good!
>
> Now if I could only find some replacement rubber feet for my Campy
> head...

Actually I have some rubber feet, but I need them for my pump head.
Perhaps you can try using tool dip.

> Joseph

On Jun 23, 8:30 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
> > On Jun 23, 10:14 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> I dumped my Wienmann Concave rims a long time ago. But
> >> I still have my Silva frame pump with the Campy head.
> >> And I only bought it once, unlike CO2 cartridges. I
> >> got it in 1979.

> >> I've dropped Zefal pumps off the bike and lost them.
> >> But never the Silca.

> > You should never get emotionally attached to things, Bob. Ever. It's
> > a slippery slope and you're sliding.

> I should clarify, the pump head is from 1979. I've
> replaced the pump body a couple of times. I keep it
> because it works better than the alternatives. I
> think mini pumps should be outlawed.

I too dislike mini-pumps, but let's not pass a law. Next thing we
know, you'll be outlawing rainbows for all but world champs.

> I'd have dumped
> the Silca long ago if I could keep Zefal pumps from
> falling off the bike.

Dumbass,

Have you considered using the correct size? I've never had either
kind fall off.

> I don't use CO2 because it's
> single use.

Yeah, plus they cause global warming.

On Jun 23, 4:22 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> Make it to Oslo with the group?

Nope. I was feeling great up until about 6 hours in. Then I didn't
have any energy. That was when we got to the flat parts and we had a
good tailwind too. I should have been in my element, but I was fried.
So rather than stuggle to hang on, when I had wanted to help set the
pace, I let go and took it alone for the last 260km. They managed
15:22, I was 17:43. Best time was 13:32. I still managed over 30 km/h
for my 260 solo despite several stops including a gas station where I
ate 2 pastries, 2 yogurts, and drank 2 cokes!

I had fuel issues related to a too tight jacket I think!

Joseph

On Jun 23, 10:15 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> Probably because a pump works twice.

dumbass,

not a silca pump. a lot of them didn't even work once.

On Jun 23, 11:15 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 4:22 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Make it to Oslo with the group?

> Nope. I was feeling great up until about 6 hours in. Then I didn't
> have any energy. That was when we got to the flat parts and we had a
> good tailwind too. I should have been in my element, but I was fried.
> So rather than stuggle to hang on, when I had wanted to help set the
> pace, I let go and took it alone for the last 260km. They managed
> 15:22, I was 17:43. Best time was 13:32. I still managed over 30 km/h
> for my 260 solo despite several stops including a gas station where I
> ate 2 pastries, 2 yogurts, and drank 2 cokes!
>
> I had fuel issues related to a too tight jacket I think!
>
> Joseph

Sorry to hear that. Still, about an hour faster than last year, right?

On Jun 23, 8:44 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 11:15 am, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Jun 23, 4:22 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Make it to Oslo with the group?

> > Nope. I was feeling great up until about 6 hours in. Then I didn't
> > have any energy. That was when we got to the flat parts and we had a
> > good tailwind too. I should have been in my element, but I was fried.
> > So rather than stuggle to hang on, when I had wanted to help set the
> > pace, I let go and took it alone for the last 260km. They managed
> > 15:22, I was 17:43. Best time was 13:32. I still managed over 30 km/h
> > for my 260 solo despite several stops including a gas station where I
> > ate 2 pastries, 2 yogurts, and drank 2 cokes!

> > I had fuel issues related to a too tight jacket I think!

> > Joseph

> Sorry to hear that. Still, about an hour faster than last year, right?

Still my personal best despite so much time alone. As I was stopped
getting some food and gear from our support car shortly after letting
go so they could leave me to my own devices, the two teams that
started at 5 minute intervals behind us passed me. I probably would
have struggled just as badly with them too so it didn't really matter.
But I didn't get caught by any other groups until I had already ridden
200km alone. That's where it gets hilly and I had an ok rythmn, so I
just let them ride by.

I have the form, and endurance so something just went wrong. Of the 28
guys on our team, only maybe 2-3 of them (if that!) can beat me in an
ITT even with a few moderate hills. That shows form and power (only
relative to them of course) and at the finish I wasn't even
particularly sore. Just about everyone else in the finish area was
gimping around like they were in serious discomfort. I think that
shows endurance. Somehow I couldn't get the two to mix on Saturday.

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> Best time was 13:32. I still managed over 30 km/h for my 260 solo despite
> several stops including a gas station where I ate 2 pastries, 2 yogurts,
> and drank 2 cokes!

What, no ice cream ?

On Jun 23, 9:03 pm, Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Best time was 13:32. I still managed over 30 km/h for my 260 solo despite
> > several stops including a gas station where I ate 2 pastries, 2 yogurts,
> > and drank 2 cokes!

> What, no ice cream ?

They had a very lousy selection. I am very particular about my ice
cream.

Joseph

<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 4:22 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Make it to Oslo with the group?

> Nope. I was feeling great up until about 6 hours in. Then I didn't
> have any energy. That was when we got to the flat parts and we had a
> good tailwind too. I should have been in my element, but I was fried.
> So rather than stuggle to hang on, when I had wanted to help set the
> pace, I let go and took it alone for the last 260km. They managed
> 15:22, I was 17:43. Best time was 13:32. I still managed over 30 km/h
> for my 260 solo despite several stops including a gas station where I
> ate 2 pastries, 2 yogurts, and drank 2 cokes!
>
> I had fuel issues related to a too tight jacket I think!

Must be. Couldn't have been weight. Fogel has shown that 3 extra kg
makes a negligible difference in time or speed.

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
> On Jun 23, 8:30 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> I don't use CO2 because it's
>> single use.

> Yeah, plus they cause global warming.

I was wondering what caused that. Who'd of thought I'd find the answer
by reading RBR?

It's good to of you around, Slave!