Silca Super Pista problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jan 23, 2006.

  1. I've been using a Super Pista floor pump for about 2-3 years now,
    changed the rubber gasket about a year ago. Lately, I've noticed that
    the barrel doesn't fill up completely with air, so that I can only pump
    in about a third of the barrel for each stroke. There's no leakage at
    the head. When I pull the handle up and then push it back down, there's
    no resistance until 2/3rds down the barrel.

    I have no idea what caused this, or how it can be fixed. Anyone else
    have this problem?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I've been using a Super Pista floor pump for about 2-3 years now,
    > changed the rubber gasket about a year ago. Lately, I've noticed that
    > the barrel doesn't fill up completely with air, so that I can only pump
    > in about a third of the barrel for each stroke. There's no leakage at
    > the head. When I pull the handle up and then push it back down, there's
    > no resistance until 2/3rds down the barrel.
    >
    > I have no idea what caused this, or how it can be fixed. Anyone else
    > have this problem?

    See if the piston has dried out or is in some way damaged.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  3. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I've been using a Super Pista floor pump for about 2-3 years now,
    > changed the rubber gasket about a year ago. Lately, I've noticed that
    > the barrel doesn't fill up completely with air, so that I can only pump
    > in about a third of the barrel for each stroke. There's no leakage at
    > the head. When I pull the handle up and then push it back down, there's
    > no resistance until 2/3rds down the barrel.
    >
    > I have no idea what caused this, or how it can be fixed. Anyone else
    > have this problem?
    >
    > Thanks.

    At the end of the tube attached to the handle, there's a leather plunger
    which forms a piston in the barrel. Inspection will probably suggest
    how the seal has failed. Often working some sort of rubber-safe lube
    into it will get it working better. A few bike shops can supply
    replacement leathers; try Yellow Jersey.

    --
    Ted Bennett

  4. Thanks for the replies. I pulled out the tube from the barrel and took
    a look at the plunger. It's black rubber, and the bottom of it looks
    pretty chewed up. I cleaned it up (there was a lot of greasy goop in
    and around it), put some oil on it, and the pump seems to be better.
    I'm going to have replace the rubber plunger soon, though. Checked
    loose screws, but they only have leather ones. Is it okay to use that?
    Otherwise, anybody know where I can get a replacement made of rubber?

  5. eflayer2

    eflayer2 Guest

    Joe Blow Pro. Move into the modern age

  6. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    On 23 Jan 2006 15:10:57 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >I've been using a Super Pista floor pump for about 2-3 years now,
    >changed the rubber gasket about a year ago. Lately, I've noticed that
    >the barrel doesn't fill up completely with air, so that I can only pump
    >in about a third of the barrel for each stroke. There's no leakage at
    >the head. When I pull the handle up and then push it back down, there's
    >no resistance until 2/3rds down the barrel.

    I've had two spots of trouble. Check the valve at the bottom of the
    pump (flat hex head at the base) -- if there's some heavy grease-like
    stuff down there, wipe it clean and use a lighter oil. Then check the
    gasket; mine is leather, but it was stiff. Work a light oil into the
    gasket, wiggle it around until it flexes, and re-install. One of
    these should do the trick.

    Pat

    Email address works as is.

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    eflayer2 wrote:
    > Joe Blow Pro. Move into the modern age

    Yes, we all have our preferences. But since he owns a
    quality piece already, a new piston should do it.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  8. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Not to mention that the Silca will go over 200 lbs per square inch and the
    Joe Blow Pro will only go to 160 lbs. Important if you run high pressure
    tubulars, race on the track, time trial, etc.

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > eflayer2 wrote:
    > > Joe Blow Pro. Move into the modern age

    > Yes, we all have our preferences. But since he owns a
    > quality piece already, a new piston should do it.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi
    > www.yellowjersey.org
    > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  9. eflayer2

    eflayer2 Guest

    My apologies for lack of respect for the Silca. But I nearly tore a
    rotator cuff trying to pump with one arm and hold the pump head on with
    the other. I am sure with right temprament anyone can do fine with a
    Silca.

  10. damyth

    damyth Guest

    eflayer2 wrote:
    > My apologies for lack of respect for the Silca. But I nearly tore a
    > rotator cuff trying to pump with one arm and hold the pump head on with
    > the other. I am sure with right temprament anyone can do fine with a
    > Silca.

    This has nothing to do with temperament, but rather with a little
    motivation. If you don't like the Silca chuck (and it's certainly not
    without it's design problems), replace it with another one. A year or
    so ago, I bought a plastic chuck and hose from a well known mail-order
    company for around $6 for replacement, and have never looked back. It
    has certainly improved on the original Silca chuck design. And the
    design and manufacture of the internals of the Silca pump has always
    been good. It's only "real" weakness has been the chuck, and possibly
    the gauge placement close to the ground.

    TTBMK this replacement hose and chuck is still being sold by this
    mail-order house at the same price.

  11. damyth

    damyth Guest

    eflayer2 wrote:
    > My apologies for lack of respect for the Silca. But I nearly tore a
    > rotator cuff trying to pump with one arm and hold the pump head on with
    > the other. I am sure with right temprament anyone can do fine with a
    > Silca.

    This has nothing to do with temperament, but rather with a little
    motivation. If you don't like the Silca chuck (and it's certainly not
    without its design problems), replace it with another one. A year or
    so ago, I bought a plastic chuck and hose replacement from a well known
    mail-order company for around $6, and have never looked back. It has
    certainly improved on the original Silca chuck design. And the design
    and manufacture of the internals of the Silca pump has always been
    good. Its only "real" weakness has been the chuck, and possibly the
    gauge placement close to the ground.

    TTBMK this replacement hose and chuck is still being sold by this
    mail-order house at the same price.

  12. Luns Tee

    Luns Tee Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Thanks for the replies. I pulled out the tube from the barrel and took
    >a look at the plunger. It's black rubber, and the bottom of it looks
    >pretty chewed up. I cleaned it up (there was a lot of greasy goop in
    >and around it), put some oil on it, and the pump seems to be better.
    >I'm going to have replace the rubber plunger soon, though. Checked
    >loose screws, but they only have leather ones. Is it okay to use that?
    >Otherwise, anybody know where I can get a replacement made of rubber?

    I've never heard of the {Super} Pista having a rubber piston,
    only leather (not to say they've never been that way, only that I've
    never encountered one). Of course there are other pumps out there
    with the same size barrel, and it's entirely possible to transplant a
    rubber piston from one of those (I think Zefal has spares available,
    but acquiring one is another matter altogether).

    On the other hand, I think the Silca Magnum had a rubber piston.
    Even if it didn't, biketoolsetc.com lists having one available.

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...c=Tire and Tube&tc=Pump Parts&item_id=SI-73.2

    Are you sure you have a Pista? The tube's outer diameter would
    be 30mm if you do. Around 40mm if you have a Magnum.

    -Luns